General info & Series Rules

Discussion in 'Best Fantasy Tracks Series Closed' started by John vd Geest, Dec 16, 2020.

1. Henri Miettinen

Henri Miettinen Pro Driver

I am not responding to this particular race but in general, driving from the screen is not really an option after VR. It doesn’t feel like you’re driving a car at all, it feels like you are playing a game.

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

It reminds you that you are playing a game :).

Well, then I guess this is a series for flat screen users.
    See you in another series in the VR Universe. :p

Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  3. Laurent Londes

Laurent Londes Pro Driver

Yeah yeah, discrimination is what it is :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. John vd Geest

Flat screen rules !!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Laurent Londes

Keep telling yourself that :cool:

6. John vd Geest

You know, I was thinking about getting VR a while back, but I can't imagine that having a strong light source so close is very healthy for your eyes.
    So I decided against it.

7. Laurent Londes

Perhaps you are right.. it is not very natural indeed.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Mark Hightree

Mark Hightree Administrator Staff Member Donator

I've never tried VR but it sounds interesting. I do have a couple of questions. I built a custom panel with buttons and switches and a home made motec display. How would I see those with a headset on? And what happens when sweat starts rolling into my eyes :)

9. Laurent Londes

You can't see your motec display and you can't use your button box as well, unless you can find your buttons blindly. As for sweat, normally the cover strap inside the headset will absorb your sweat. The worst I had was feeling the sweat and have the lenses fog up a bit but not to the point where the sweat runs in your eyes or you can't see anything.

10. Filip Stoyanovich

Filip Stoyanovich Pro Driver

A wreck probably lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Maxime Tendil

Maxime Tendil Pro Driver

Actually it depends on your stuff and the way it's used by software. The question from @Mark Hightree is the big one for me too since I bought an Odyssey+ a long time ago for racing & flight simming. I know it's possible when you have cameras for positioning to use them to check what's around you, even if the image quality is said to be low level, but I still didn't actually figured it out. Mine is still in his box since day 2 or 3 as I have several problems to use it.
    1st one was dizzyness : You need to get your brain used to this way of comprehending of the world around you + a nice FPS. In this modern world, the more you're involved in actions from a virtual world the more FPS you need not to get ill ; when you watch a movie on a flat srceen it's fine with a few dozens of FPS as you keep passive, but if you drive a virtual car this way, you need more FPS (about 60) ; and if you drive the car through a VR headset, even more, say about 90 FPS. So that I changed my GC which was a bit old for a new 2060 S.
    2nd one was my eyesight : At first I thought about contact lenses but actually I doubt I will be able to wear those. Recently I discovered VR headsets-dedicated glasses that you incorporate to your stuff, I more likely will go that direction.
    3rd one was comfort : The O+ isn't good in that aspect so I bought better cover straps after a few months. And now I'm waiting for receiving a top head strap dedicated to much better management of the headset weight.

So I hope I'll be VR operational as soon as I also buy these VR glasses and eventually jump into that wonderful VR world, more than... 2 years after my VR headset purchase... :eek::confused::rolleyes::p

12. Laurent Londes

That is not really an option. The Rift S has passthrough view which is stereo black and white and not sharp at all! It is useful when gaming while stading and you have no idea where you are in your room to check quickly. However during simracing this seems impossible to me as you need to switch to that view and meanwhile you don't see anything anymore of your car/race and have to switch back.

2nd : Yes, you can buy something to put on top of the lenses if you need that or use contacts. I don't have contacts/glasses so I have no experience with it.

3rd : Replacement covers are often worth it indeed depending on your headset. I need a thinner one for my Reverb G2, but still waiting for a good solution.

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. Maxime Tendil

Maxime Tendil Pro Driver

So you too would say it's not possible to use a keyboard this way (Flight sim context here) ? Nor even use a simple button box (racing sim context) ? o_O

14. Laurent Londes

As long as you can do it without seeing it, then it is possible. Finding the right keys on my keyboard is really hard for me.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Maxime Tendil

Maxime Tendil Pro Driver

Erh.. no. :) I reformulate my question then : Can you see the keys and identify them ? I infer that not from what you say.. ?

16. Laurent Londes

Maybe I wasn't clear before. Not all headsets have a passthrough mode where you can see your environment "kind of" in crappy quality and black and white. And switching to it means that is the *only* thing you see until you switch back. It is projected through the lenses, so you see from the camera's of the headset and that picture is projected then in the headset. I don't see myself doing that while racing at all.. and only on some headsets like the Rift S. There you can set virtual boundaries (guardian system) and configure that once your head moves out of the boundary the room is shown in the headset. So you would have to set a boundary right around your seating position and then move your head out of it, find the key, push it and place your head back in the boundary. Effect would be weird too.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

Depends on your button box. I made my own and designed it with 'blind-use' in mind.
    The box was laser cut and I've used features from that intentionally between several switches, I originally had tactile bars separating the top 4 encoders/toggle switches but later binned them as they were unnecessary.

A bespoke layout removes any need to see the buttons :) You'll notice in ACC races I even use my indicators to wave faster cars by if I'm not trying to race them - guess where that switch is ;) (and TC, ABS, Throttle map, brake bias, headlights, wipers, rain light ect ect - Having a G25 means you have to be inventive!)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. John vd Geest

race-winner.jpg

Prize for this series winner

The winner of this "Best Fantasy Tracks" series wins a prize.

The winner of this series gets to choose for the next Assetto Corsa series:
    - the car mod
    - 6 tracks of his choosing *
    - and wins € 25 euro's

No voting - what the winner chooses, the winner gets (incl. DLC's)

* The dates have been reserved.
    1st event starts Thursday, April 15th - 20:00 GMT - and then bi-weekly.
    1 hour per event.

(this new series is not part of the Assetto Corsa League series)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Maxime Tendil

Maxime Tendil Pro Driver

C'mon guys put your name in the registration tab, we need you in this nice young timer series !
    The car is very nice thanks to the @Filip Stoyanovich 's improvements. She needs little setting up efforts, as expected as it's a tourism car after all. We have not so much skins, but this is enough to give the grid a nice variety.

So join the party ! :)

20. Kimi Martikainen

Kimi Martikainen Pro Driver

I'm in but most likely miss most races 'cause fridays...

• Agree Agree x 1