Introducing the cars

Discussion in 'RSS GT1 Series Closed' started by John vd Geest, Sep 22, 2018.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Lister Storm V12

Lister was among the most successful racing car manufacturers of the 1950s. Powered by a choice of Jaguar and Chevrolet engines, the sports racers competitively campaigned by Works driver Archie-Scott Brown as well as many privateers. Struck by the untimely death of Brown and facing the tough task of building a brand new car to face the ever growing competition Brian Lister decided to call it a day at the end of 1959.

In the early 1980s the Lister name was revived with the blessing of company founder Brian Lister. The driving force behind the rebirth was engineer Laurence Pearce. The first order of business was modifying existing Jaguar models. In 1992 the first completely new Lister was launched. Dubbed the 'Storm,' it was an ambitious two-seater sports car. Powered by the same V12 engine as used in the Le Mans winning Jaguar XJR-12, it was capable of a 200+ mph top speed.

Considering Lister's rich racing history it was not surprising that a racing version of the Storm was developed. Pearce's timing was impeccable as production based Grand Tourers had recently become eligible for all the major races. Debuted during 1995 edition of the 24 Hours of Le Mans, the Storm 'GTS' differed little from the original road car with the exception of the mandatory racing equipment.

• Like Like x 1
  2. John vd Geest

Ferrari 550

The Ferrari 550 Maranello is the grand tourer sports car built by Ferrari from 1996 to 2002. Although not intended for motorsport and never being used in races by Ferrari, the various versions of the 550 were successful in different sports car competitions by private teams.

The greatest results were the class victory at 24 hours of Le Mans in 2003, two FIA GT Championship titles (2003, 2004) and two Le Mans Series class titles (2004, 2005).

• Like Like x 2
  3. John vd Geest

Ferrari 575

Ferrari 575 GTC is Ferrari's entry into GT1 race category, which thrived in Europe from 2000 - 2010. Under design guidance of Ferrari the car was prepared by N-Technology and sold by Ferrari to racing teams. Total amount of 13 cars were made.
    The 575 GTC was purpose built to participate in the FIA GT championship and made its debut at the end of the 2003 season at the Estoril FIA GT race, with an impressive victory over a pair of Scuderia Italia Ferrari 550 in second and third. Although the success could not be matched in the next few races, which is not uncommon considering the 575 GTC was a completely new racer, one thing the 575 proved to be immediately, was reliable. In Ferrari circles the letter `C´ stands for competizione, and the 575 GTC is the competizione version of the Ferrari 575M Maranello. The cars ability to cope and perform through the demands of the track as translated into the most reliable road version ever built. The displacement of the 65° V12 was increased to 5,997cc with a maximum power output of close to 605 bhp, and the car boasts a sequential shift.

• Like Like x 2
  4. John vd Geest

Lamborghini R-GT V12

Last edited: Sep 22, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  5. John vd Geest

Saleen S7-R

V8 (90o) cylinder
    6997 cc capacity
    OHV, 2 valves per cylinder
    multipoint electronic fuel injection
    Power output
    600 bhp / 448 KW @ 6400 rpm
    746 Nm / 550 ft lbs @ 5400 rpm

• Like Like x 1
  6. John vd Geest

Viper GTS-R

The Chrysler Viper GTS-R (also known as the Dodge Viper GTS-R when raced in North America) was a successful racing variant of the Dodge Viper developed in conjunction with Chrysler of North America, Oreca of France, and Reynard Motorsport of the United Kingdom. Officially unveiled at the 1995 Pebble Beach Concours, it has won numerous championships and famous events in its history. Some chassis are still in use today.

• Like Like x 6
  7. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Some extra little facts that people might find interesting.

Both the 550 and Lambo were kind of non-factory efforts.

Ferrari had no interest in racing in GT1 (or sportscar racing). The F40 GT1's were converted customer cars and in those days the F1 program was very much the main focus and the Italian board didn't want to get involved in anything else. So various millionaire owners went to Prodrive to see if they could make a racing version of the 550 (at the time, Ferrari's fastest model and the only one that complied with the current GT1 regulations). So Prodrive developed the 550 into a race car...and it was an instant winner. Quite a few cars were sold and it was a huge success. At this point Ferrari (whilst kicking themselves under the table) realised that a British Rally team were winning races in "their" cars so they developed the 575. Ironically the 550 was so well sorted by that point it took quite some time for the 575 to beat it, even so it was never really as successful as the 550 GT1.

From there of course Prodrive went onto make the DBR9 for Aston Martin...

The Murcielago was developed by Reiter Engineering on behalf of Lamborghini. Slightly different to the Ferrari situation though. Reiter did the work simply because Lamborghini at that time were always in a financial balancing act. If they spent huge amounts on developing a million dollar GT1 car it could hurt them badly. The car very nearly won it's first race (at Brno I think it was). The car was mighty quick but fell foul of electrical problems. After that it was competitive but couldn't quite keep up with the faster GT1 cars (again it also suffered lots of reliability problems). The timing was perhaps also slightly unlucky because if I remember the MC12's and DBR9's came into the series soon afterwards and those cars just moved the performance targets into a whole new area. After that Reiter developed the GT3 version of the Gallardo and then Audi bought Lamborghini and did their own race programs, although the Gallardo makes the odd appearance.

The 550 won many races, I think the Lambo only won one or two (again purely because of timing and the rate at which GT1 was developing). The Lambo was still my favourite though! Such a shame that none of the teams took it to Le Mans. JLOC (Japanese Lamborghini Owners Club) took the car there twice. It retired on the warm up lap during the first year and retired whilst running last in class the following year (30 minutes from the end if I remember which was heart breaking). Again, it was up against some of the factory run next generation GT1's and JLOC was a very small team effort.

Apologies if I've got some facts wrong, all from memory but I attended so many of these races and it was a series I loved to follow. My only regret is not so much the likes of the 911 GT1 and the MC12 existed but just the fact that they were so extreme the whole spirit of GT1 was killed by those cars. Just the way motorsport from that period was.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

SRO Test server is up threw the weekend for the new Watkins glen v1.0 and car selection/testing !
    server name :SRO G.E.A.R. RSS GT1
    you know the password;)
    (must have the new version 1.0 of the glen, please read the install directions as it has a twist .)

Please read the installation instructions for the track here:
    https://www.simracingonline.co.uk/threads/round-3-watkins-glen.2895/

It would be quite helpfull if everybody would do a few laps on the server so I can get all your GUID info from stracker & then can start assigning the skis and BOP.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2018
  9. Simon Pike

Simon Pike Pro Driver

Think this will only apply to cars with BOP ie. 550 and Saleen ,but if you get setup invalid and cant select to race its because car is too low raise ride height sort problem. !;)

10. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Yeah I can’t remember what mod it was but I had a few cars that wouldn’t leave the pits then I realised the default setup had the car at -14mm ride height. Lol

• Funny Funny x 1