MEMBER FEEDBACK POLL

Discussion in 'Chat About Anything In Here' started by Ken Jagger, Jun 22, 2018.

?

Do you want to race online at Simracingonline.co.uk and what Sim/s are you interested in?

1. Yes

85.7%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. rFactor

20.6%
  4. rFactor 2

76.2%
  5. Automobilista

25.4%
  6. Assetto Corsa

58.7%
  7. Project Cars

1.6%
  8. Project Cars 2

31.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Kahel Grahf

Kahel Grahf Pro Driver

Hard indeed... but I can pinpoint one difference I see in some other leagues... Server are up more than a week before the event sometimes...they are less series overall but people tend to prepare more for them...
    And IMO Praticing on the server with other, speaking setup or what not is part of the fun... and it's always good to have an idea what to expect in term of racing pace...

So maybe one more thing to try out... and along it might put more emphasize in team spirit or rivalry.
    Seems like servers up early act like a hotlap learderboard... and people whom gave it a try tend to do the race.

PS: Shout out to Roger Hinds who I often see posting time and practicing on server.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Colin Towers

Colin Towers Pro Driver

Hello all, relatively very new member here, thought I'd share my view as well!

I am one of the people who until very recently did not want to participate in leagues/club racing. Mainly due to I was thinking I would not be able to participate often at fixed days/time (which is mostly true, but it's easier to arrange things better in the summer) and also I think I was a bit intimidated, you know, causing an accident by mistake in a public game server is bad but not the end of the world, but was really afraid on the idea of ruining some league race (although I very very rarely have accidents actually).

But after I did my first league race in another club, that was it, I wanted to do only league racing from then on! So I found you guys, also joined another couple clubs and I've been doing 3-4 league races per week now! I want to say a big thank you to you guys, the organizers (of this club and all clubs!) for your dedication, for providing us racers with so many options and a great environment to do what we love doing!

Regarding racing preferences, I am only interested in racing in Project CARS 2, as this is the only sim I enjoy racing with (despite its many bugs still), but I do not want to do GT3s, GTEs, LMPs etc, those are done to death by so many leagues, and there are dozens available public lobbies for them every day. What I am mainly looking for is less popular classes, like the touring cars that I'm racing here, or road cars, fun cars like Bac Monos and X-Bows etc.

Hope those votes give you good insight, I've just cast mine.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

Thanks for your thoughts Colin, they will go into the mix with everything else for consideration :)

4. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Pro Driver

After some time, i've come here just to see how it goes...

Only 6 drivers in the last race of the Leon? I'm shocked! o_O

Leon series are filled with lots of people around internet, don't understand why not here! Problem is that all those events are at the same hours, mostly UK times, that's why people are splitting all over the place!

I'm still thinking that you should do some other hour events to catch people from other places. Speaking from Portuguese people, 19pm or 20pm are not good hours to race on. That said, i understand that hours are more suitable for people from central or eastern europe, but you need to study if those people are commited enough. Speaking from myself, i'm a commited driver, as you can state from the events i did here, but with those event hours i can't race here undortunately...

My suggestion is, why not creating some events at 22pm for example? That way you can try to catch more players from Spain or Portugal for example, or even Brasil and USA (eastern). You could do something like rotating events, in a given season they're at 19/20pm and in next season they're at 22/23h for example...

If you think about Race2Play they did same events at different hours, that way they had thousands of players. If you're just trying to suit UK people you'll never have a great driver base to succeed and grow overtime...

Cheers!

5. Ken Jagger

Series or Races? I'm sure there are lots of single public races available, but that's a different thing altogether. Give us some links of regularly "filled" servers being run by Leagues as examples Rui?

So that would be 23:00/24:00 in Spain/Portugal right? Does nobody have to get up for work early the next morning? ;)
    Actually we have had some initial thoughts about doing just that, but they would potentially have to be races without any SRO Admins present to officiate, due to where our current Team live. Of course if somebody wants to volunteer to spend 10+ hrs a week as an Admin doing the series preparation, testing and management, then maybe we could open a slot or two in the Team specifically for those series. ;)
    We are also currently running a 2nd & 3rd Member Poll which should reveal the Day/Time our Members want to race, so let's see what comes out of that.

Race2Play ended up like many other sites in that the race attendances got smaller and smaller, with less reward and satisfaction for both Tim & Todd, never mind the cost of running the operation. That was one of the key reasons it closed. The online racing community is now very fragmented and it seems to have gone down a different route to that which drew many of us into it in the first place. The stalwarts are still around here and there, but without the support of the numbers needed to fill a decent entry.

6. Roy Cop

Roy Cop Pro Driver

First of before anyone goes on his hind legs, a disclaimer.
    I DO NOT WANT OFFEND ANY PERSON WITH MY POST! AND IF YOUR NAME IS NOT BEING MENTIONED, ITS NOT ABOUT YOU.

Rui, I understand why Portugese and maybe even Spaniards prefer a later time. Now normally this would not be a problem were it not that the closest next bunch of people have a 5 or 6 hours time difference with us Europeans. On top of that I see very few US or South-American servers in AC or RF2.

Now about the low attendance in series. This is happening all over the different leagues. I race in 4 different leagues and in every one its the same. It starts out with a great attendance for the 1st and maybe 2nd race, and than it goes down. Karl Steeg can confirm this for one group I race in because he races there too. My feeling is that almost never the organisers are the ones to blame. Its all down to the mentality of the people signing up.

My stance is, You know what you sing up for. The dates, the mod and the start times. it is normal that not everyone is able to attend all races, but out of respect for the organisers and your fellow racers, once one signs up one should always try to attend as my of the races as possible.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Pro Driver

Calm down, i'm just giving a suggestion, final word is yours of course, Portuguese time is the same as in the UK (BST), you just do what you want...

I work everyday from 8am to 4pm and what is the problem if i go to bed at midnight? One day of the week? No problem, in R2P times i used to race at 2am, if it's not everyday it's ok...

Don't forget that Race2Play was somewhat paid and this is free, think about this...

You want a series filled with the Leon? There they go...

http://virtualracecars.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68

Assetto Corsa Racing Association - Discord only i think, no website

Sim Racing System - is allways full of drivers and they have plenty of schedules (personally i don't like it)

8. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Pro Driver

Also, i'm not saying to change all the times, you can keep them if it's better for you, but what's the problem in making some 1/2 at different times? It's like Ricardo said, this looks like a "family reunion" you race at the times you like, but don't think about other people, so that's normal you don't have too many drivers.

When i get up on something i take it till the end, so are my friends, we could be racing here, but at these times it's just impossible...

9. Ken Jagger

I'd not heard that comment from Ricardo (?) actually and I personally find it very disrespectful of the efforts and time put in by the SRO Team who provide this free opportunity for anyone else who is interested in racing here. Like many Sim Racing Leagues which are created, staffed AND paid for by the founders, is it unreasonable to run races at times that they can run?

10. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Pro Driver

Ken, you're being too agressive and not talking in a constructive manner, i've given my idea, end of talk for me...

Good luck!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Roy Cop

Roy Cop Pro Driver

Rui, Both Karl Steeg and I did the ACRA Seat series and I can give you an exact count on attendance for every race
    There were 18 people who signed up. 12 of those raced the 1st race. The last race only 5 attended. It was a 7 race series.
    On the current series there , 1st race 12 racers, 2nd race only 7.
    So its exactly the same there as it is here

I wouldn't call this a full series :(

SRS, is a wreckfest. Sure there are 90 or so people taking part, but if you aren't in the top 5 of server 1 you can be sure you will be punted off. The idea for SRS is good, the execution a lot less.

I can't comment on the Spanish forum/series you posted because I don't know them.

12. Roy Cop

Roy Cop Pro Driver

And there's another strange thing I noticed. I also do a series in an Italian group with the LMP2. On average there 20 people taking part in the races there. The odd thing about that is that its 18 Italians and only 2 non-Italians (me and an Hungarian guy). I've seen the same with Spanish groups. Why is that?

13. Ken Jagger

Excuse me if I made a mistake and didn't find this aggressive.

14. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Pro Driver

Whatever mate, i'm Portuguese, maybe i didn't express correctly, but nevermind, didn't had that idea from you, honestly, i know you from R2P times... that's sad...

15. Kahel Grahf

Kahel Grahf Pro Driver

That's getting intense... :oops:... Nice to 'see' you again Rui.

That's a fair concern you have Rui, and not an unreasonable ask... but the way you turn things out... especially since the subject already been discuss...that's strange probably some old rivalry coming out...:cool:
    Ken mentioned that they are planning a pool about 'time slot' and of course if they find out a popular but 'exotic' time they will need to find someone awake to act as an admin... seems reasonable and it Look like You'll make a great candidate :cool:.

Anyway might be a good idea test out the 21h30 or other slot after the pool result... with some single event at first...and overall do more of those...if only to try to find things out...

PS: About leagues/content doing decent... find out about simracing-gp.net a few months ago and they are doing well with rF2: enduracer and simtek gt3 content...simtek gt3 cars feels a bit off but that's not the point... they manage to fill up 2 splits of 20 drivers per race so far...and the level is 'fair'... only slight contact in 5 races no punting... can't say the same here...Yeah I'm talking about you Bret :D...

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Roy Cop

Roy Cop Pro Driver

Guys, fellas, mates,
    I know we all can be a bit emotional in our posts, but please keep it respectful. The admins here do a good job of keeping us kids in check and try to keep us interested in racing here. These polls and feedback threads are a good example of that. And although I can be "emotional" about things to at times I really enjoy my time in this group.
    Any and all problems can be solved if everyone sets their mind to it. There have been some good suggestions here, and I'm sure the admins will take that in advisement.

I also see a few posts here of disgruntled people (I don't mean anyone in particular). If I'm in a group where I don't feel at home, I stop racing there. I do however always let the people in charge know my reasons for leaving. If a group I'm in doesn't run a series I'm interested in or time doesn't permit me to run the races, again, I let them know. And if a series is posted in that group that does interest me and time permits, I start racing there again. I have always received positive feedback when doing this.
    Have respect for the people who give you races and they'll respect you. And yes, sometimes you can be in a foul mood and things get said which one might regret. Always apologise when such a thing happens. We are only human. We all have flaws. :confused:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. Gerhard Hofmann

Gerhard Hofmann Pro Driver Donator

Keep cool mates, we all have the same intention: to make SRO a better place with full grids.
    I put my full trust in Ken, Nigel and their team, they do a great job and are paying for our party,
    dont lets forget this circumstances.
    To do this feedback poll is a very good first step to feel the needs of our members.

But one thing mates: Forget about R2P, it crashed and that has certain reasons:
    to many different simulators
    to many races at different times
    to many tracks for minorities (fantasy and third-class tracks)

We could give Ruis idea a try and offer ONE series at different time as usual (later)
    But: we will never reach the guys from S-America or Asia, they are running their own servers
    and will never move over.
    Looking at the result of the poll, i think we should reduce to the 3 main programs Rf2, AC and PC2,
    of course the spotlight will be on RF2.

Main target must be: we must improve SRO and keep it alive!!!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Tim Meuris

Tim Meuris Pro Driver

I find it a good initiative having polls about these aspects. The only reason I did not start racing here (yet) were the cars that did not interest me (too many mods imo) or the hours/days were not possible for me. Also there are indeed too many sims offered here. I raced in an acleague on wednesdays the last year. It was at netracingeurope participating in 2 seasons of the porsche gt3 cup. These were the only races being held every 14 days. You could practise on the server all the other days. Did it a lot and really learned a lot about setting up a car. It also started with 16 participants. We ended up with like 9 participants near the end most of the time. So only one league in one sim (it's a small community). But by not creating more choices the playerbase did not fell apart into more even smaller subgroups. I think that opting for 3 sims with each 2 championships will be more than enough. Just my 2cents.

Cheers,
    Tim

19. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

We are going to drop some sims, We are in talks about it at the moment and there will be not as many races.

20. Ricardo Gomes

Ricardo Gomes Pro Driver

Just to say: simtek does feel a bit off