rFactor 2 Poll: do you want low ABS or no ABS?

Discussion in 'Endurance League: S397 Endurance Pack Closed' started by John vd Geest, Jul 13, 2020.

?

I want Low ABS for the Endurance League events.

1. Yes

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
  1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Poll: do you want low ABS or no ABS?

I have been called out that I had put Low ABS in the Endurance events.
    It is true that the GTE's and LMP's do not have ABS, but since most of us are not professional drivers, I fear that a lot of us will destroy our tires within a few laps with multiple flat spots in every event. It's quite hard not to lock up your tires in heavy braking zones without ABS. That is why I've put up this poll. I would like to know what the majority of us think about this.

Do you want full realism without ABS, or do you want Low ABS for the Endurance League series?

Please vote.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  2. Larry Thomas

Larry Thomas Pro Driver Donator

Wanted to suggest that you, @John vd Geest , put it to the vote.
    Do not need to tell you what I voted for though ;)

3. Barrett Erickson

Barrett Erickson Pro Driver

i would suggest that this vote be delayed, or at least extended, until there is a server available for a while on which we can test it both ways (rFactor cars behave differently online v. offline, for whatever reason).

my vote would have been no ABS prior to the last S397 update, as it realistically adds tire preservation into the competition. i wasn't having problems before the update, but i still haven't become comfortable with the post-update car behavior, so i'm not sure braking without actual physical feedback hasn't become unnecessarily difficult now.

4. Marc Brink

Marc Brink Pro Driver

Although I'm not using ABS myself, I think that low ABS should be allowed for everyone who wants to use it.
    Like John said: "not everyone's a pro driver", so they might have an issue without.
    In the end it should be fun for everyone and allowing ABS doesn't harm anyone. Free choice.

By the way, the LMPs don't have ABS either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. John vd Geest

The server will be back up on July 19th.

6. Larry Thomas

I do not think anyone would argue with the fact that I am NOT a pro driver. Just look at my track record! Even-though, I still do not think ABS should be allowed. As Barrett says " no ABS ...... realistically adds tire preservation into the competition".

Marc said you can turn off the ABS, but, in my case, that would put me at too much of a disadvantage as I am NOT a pro driver.

I am not here for arcade racing, I am here for SIM RACING (as the site name suggests).
    With artificial aids all cars end up feeling the same with only the skin being different.
    I signed in to this series to drive a GTE and that is what I would like to drive, not a watered down version.
    Remember also that the GTE cars are balanced between them and this takes into account the realistic braking. The Ferrari for example would be disadvantaged by allowing ABS.

Another point. Before, it was very easy to lock up the brakes in rF2 if you didn't have ABS on. Now it appears to be pretty realistic and with a bit of practice it can be mastered. The biggest thing, IMO, is that you can not slam on the brakes straight off. You need to slightly get on the brakes, for the weight transfer, and then slam on the brakes. Realistic stuff!

As you have most probably understood I feel strongly about this but evidently I will bow to the wish of the majority if it is decided to keep ABS.
    If so we could also consider other assists like steering aids. I personally have problems getting around corners.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
  7. John vd Geest

This pole end's on July 25 because we all have to know if we have to practise WITH or WITHOUT low ABS.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Eric Moinet

Eric Moinet Pro Driver

In all honesty I don't care, hence I don't vote. I don't use ABS most of the time but I understand that people can have issues if they can't.

9. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

10. John vd Geest

I don't care either. I was actually faster without ABS at Daytona while still being careful with the braking.

11. John vd Geest

Voted for Low ABS 7
    Voted against Low ABS 5
    The majority didn't vote.

I'll tell you what we'll do ... Since Daytona is a single event, let's try it without Low ABS, and if everybody is happy with it, we will use it as a setting for the series.
    If not, we will use Low ABS for the series. Sounds good to me.

Daytona is now set WITHOUT low ABS.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Barrett Erickson

Barrett Erickson Pro Driver

Works for me.
    While i felt more confident going deeper into the corners "with", I didn't find much difference in lap time (once i got my base set corrected for the changes S397 threw at us).
    [Of course, S397 will probably update the cars just before the race and screw me up again by correcting whatever they did to the M8. I mean, really, their default set had front soft bounce maxed so you know they know something is wrong.]

• Like Like x 2
  13. Larry Thomas

An it works for me........obviously;):)

14. Neil Tasker

Neil Tasker Pro Driver Donator

i don't understand why were are not using it even though most votes went with it ?
    i personally think it should be set to low on server if those choose to use it its there and for those that don't it can be switched off, as said not every one is a pro driver and every pedal set up is very different we will never have the same feel as a gtlm car,
    we need to fill the grid spots and welcome all abilities, id rather know the other drivers on track are comfortable with braking whilst racing around me and if thats with low abs then so be it

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

I am afraid i agree with this ABS should be used if a driver does not want to use it they have the option of switching it off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. John vd Geest

Oke, you're the boss. Low ABS is back in :)

17. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

I was just putting my point of view your the boss John :)

• Like Like x 1