RaceRoom Experience 101

Discussion in 'RaceRoom Racing Experience' started by Doug Dezan, Nov 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Dezan

Doug Dezan Pro Driver

2. Doug Dezan

Doug Dezan Pro Driver

Your first day and purchases with RaceRoom Experience
    Untitled.png

So you found a brilliant racing game from Sector 3 Studios called RaceRoom Racing Experience for FREE. What packs should you buy? Don't worry, we're here to help. When you download the game you will receive some free cars and tracks.

You can buy tracks and cars with creditcard/Paypal or to save money buy Vrp by this:
    VRP; http://www.raceroomstore.com/shop_en/vrp.
    This is the official R3E VRP store and the best way to get VRP for in-game use.
    A good start is purchasing 5000vrp which has a nice -30% off .
    Do not forget to use an easily accessible email because you will receive a code there to use in the R3E environment.

Check email for code and then go here : STORE; http://game.raceroom.com/store/
    Login to your account and on the upper right corner you will find a VRP counter. Press the little arrow and a drop down menu will appear.Click on Redeem code and enter the code you received. Success! You should now see 5000 vrp on the main screen.

VRP is like money to purchase stuff from RaceRoom. Check closely for the best package deals where you get the most cars and tracks purchases. You can buy just a single item to if you are just wanting a car or a track purchase independently which will cost you in the long term more adding to your item collection.

(WIP) There will be a Video guide here at SIMRACINGONLINE by the new year.
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. Doug Dezan

Doug Dezan Pro Driver

Untitled.png
    What Is vRP?

vRP stands for “Virtual Race Points”. It is the in-game currency in RaceRoom.

What are the conversion rates?
    This can change based on your preferred currency and the exchange rates. But in general 100 vRP is close to 1 Euro.

DISCOUNTS
    How do discounts work?
    There are different types of discounts that apply.

• Regular discount as a result of the content being on a temporary sale.
      • Dynamic discount on pack price that automatically deducts the price of the content that you already own. This means you never pay twice for any car or track.
    How do dynamic discounts work?
    Dynamic discounts are an automatic calculation comparing the content of a pack to the content you already own. If you already own parts of a pack, we exclude and deduct it from the pack price. The price you see for that pack on the store page is the result of that calculation. This is why pack prices are often not the same from one user to another.

REDEEM CODES
    How do I use a redeem code?
    While on the store page, click on your vRP balance on the top right menu. Select “Redeem Code” from the dropdown menu. Type/Paste the code and hit the Redeem Code button.

What are Packs?
    Packs are bundles of content that offer you a good deal, as they are always cheaper than if you were to buy all of its items individually.

What happens if I already own something in a pack?
    If you already own something in a pack, the dynamic discount system excludes the content from the price you pay, and makes it even cheaper. This happens automatically and you can see it by moving your mouse over the price tags on content in the store.

How many cars and tracks are in a pack?
    This differs from pack to pack, always check the pack description.

What are Essential Packs?
    Essential Packs are complete packages for players that don’t want to deal with buying individual content. With Starter Pack, Pro Pack and Premium Pack the player will get a collection of handpicked content that provide fun and a challenge for anyone.

While Starter and Pro pack contain content chosen by us, the Premium Pack contains everything available in the store at that given time. Please note that purchasing the Premium Pack does not mean you will get content released in the future for free.

The Starter Pack is perfectly suited for the new RaceRoom driver, you’ll be off to the races in seconds. The Pro pack is for the seasoned sim-racer who wants to partake in most popular races. The Premium pack is for you who want it ALL, the serious racer or collector. It’s a huge pack and also the best bang for the buck.

The Store & Steam
    How does the Store work
    You purchase content by adding it to the cart until you are ready to check out. At the checkout you will get a summary of what the items you added cost along with added discounts. When you confirm the purchase you will be connected to Steam to begin the transaction process.

How does the Store work with Steam?
    RaceRoom is a Steam game and all monetary transactions are done through the Steam Wallet. Please keep in mind that the Steam Wallet has a minimum fund requirement. For example if you purchase an item that costs €1, Steam Wallet might require you to deposit €5 and you will have a remaining €4 in your Steam Wallet for future use.

Miscellaneous
    Can I return items I purchased?
    No. All purchases are final and are not refundable.

What happens to my purchased items if I delete my account?
    All your owned content including any vRP you have left in your account will be gone upon deletion.

Can I use vRP in other Steam games?
    No. vRP is only used within RaceRoom.

I have a complaint regarding the store
    We live by our happy customers and we are always standing by to help you out. If you have issues or questions please submit a ticket on the helpdesk and we’ll get on your case.

[​IMG]

4. Doug Dezan

Doug Dezan Pro Driver

Untitled.png
    TRY BEFORE YOU BUY.
    RaceRoom Experience allows you to test all cars for an unlimited time before you decide to purchase or not.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
  5. Doug Dezan

Doug Dezan Pro Driver

SET UP WHEEL AND FFB
    Note; This video was made in 2017. Clutch now has been fixed. Some setup screen have changed design but still has the same setting menu.

[​IMG]

6. Doug Dezan

Doug Dezan Pro Driver

VR Performance Tweaks & Tips (Part 1)

Shared Source from Sector 3
    Discussion started by Thomas Jansen
    Developer Beta tester

As many will have experienced, RaceRoom is very harsh on performance in VR, mostly because of the old engine hammering the CPU. I will collect some of the tweaks I learned about and explain them here, so everyone can hopefully benefit from them as well. I am very happy with the performance I have now, as I can keep 90fps with basically all the eye candy that is noticeable in VR on (even shadows!), even on race starts with 20 cars visible. This is on my 4770K @ 4.4GHz and a 1080ti, but I am mostly CPU bottlenecked, so any better CPUs will probably give even better performance, even with a slightly lesser GPU.
    OpenComposite (Oculus and Windows 8/10 only)
    In search of better performance in RaceRoom in VR I stumbled upon this thread. The instructions were a bit scattered but I gave it a try and it gave me a HUGE performance boost, made the performance more consistent and reduced loading times. OpenComposite is an awesome project by Campbell Suter which replaces SteamVR as the 'translator' for games that do not have native Oculus support. Unfortunately, at this time the main project does not work with RaceRoom, but @The Iron Wolf did an amazing job at adapting the project to work with RaceRoom, which he published as his own fork. He does not use Oculus anymore, so he will not be able to support the project anymore in case it stops working, but so far 3 Betatesters with different hardware tried it and worked for all of us, so hopefully it will work for most people with an Oculus headset.

How to install:
    • Go to the x64 folder in the RaceRoom directory (Normally in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\raceroom racing experience\Game\x64)
    • I would recommend renaming or backing up openvr_api.dll as this is going to be replaced with the opencomposite DLL, so if it does not work you can restore the original file to use SteamVR again.
    • Download the latest v1.0.0.0 DLL file from the adapted project, it will be in a zip together with opencomposite.ini , which is required to set the options for OpenComposite.
    • Extract these files to the x64 folder in the RaceRoom directory, if you start RaceRoom in VR now, it should no longer start SteamVR and will most likely crash, as the included opencomposite.ini file is not correct for RaceRoom yet.
    • Edit the opencomposite.ini file to the following (make sure it is formatted on different lines and not all on one line):
      supersampleRatio=1.0
      enableLayers=true
      enableCubemap=false
      threePartSubmit=true
      useViewportStencil=true
      dx10Mode=true

You can adjust the supersampleRatio to whatever you want, but it seemed to cause worse performance than setting the supersampling in the Oculusdebugtool myself. You can test this for yourself though. If you want to match your SteamVR supersampling setting they are slightly different: 1.5 here would be equivalent to 1.5x1.5=2.25 or 225% in SteamVR, so you can calculate what the equivalent setting would be for you.
    • RaceRoom should now launch in VR without SteamVR launching. This will only work for the 64-bit version of the game.
    Some Remarks:
    • If SteamVR is still launching with RaceRoom, make sure you have extracted the files into the correct 'x64' folder and not the 'Game' folder.
    • If the game instantly crashes, doublecheck you have set the correct values in opencomposite.ini. If that is all correct, you could try the other DLL file in the project. If that does not work either, you can either try to play with the settings in opencomposite.ini to see if your system maybe works with other settings. Otherwise, you can revert back to using SteamVR by replacing the DLL file with the backup of the original one you made. You could try asking the original OpenComposite devs for some suggestions, but as this is not fully their work it's a long shot.
    • Make sure you have done the room setup in Oculus Home, otherwise it's possible that OpenComposite will not work properly.
    • As this is not officially supported for RaceRoom, there is a good chance the files will be overwritten when updating or repairing the game and any update might also cause it to stop working, but since I have only used it for a week now, I don't know yet. Similarly, there is no guarantee it works for everyone and that it improves performance for everyone, so make sure to test for yourself and feel free to report back!

Recommended Graphics Settings

Here are the settings I use to achieve 90fps in pretty much any situation with the following hardware:
    CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.4GHz
    RAM: 16GB DDR3 2400MHz CL11
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080ti
    VR Headset: Oculus Rift CV1

• OpenComposite (see above)
    • Oculus Supersampling: 1.3x
    • Oculus ASW: Off
    • Resolution: 1920x1080
    • Toggle Mirrors: On
    • Track Level of Detail: Medium
    • Tiremarks: On
    • Specular: On
    • Shadows: Lowest
    • Car Shadows: On
    • Contact Shadows: 20
    • Shadow Split: Off
    • Multi-Sampling: 4xAA
    • Track Texture Quality: High
    • Car Texture Quality: High
    • Shader Quality: Medium
    • Visible Cars: 20
    All other settings I have turned off or on the lowest setting.
    [​IMG]

7. Doug Dezan

Doug Dezan Pro Driver

VR Performance Tweaks & Tips (Part 2)

Shared Source from Sector 3
    Discussion started by Thomas Jansen
    Developer Beta tester
    Recommended Graphics Settings
    Here are the settings I use to achieve 90fps in pretty much any situation with the following hardware:
    CPU: i7-4770K @ 4.4GHz
    RAM: 16GB DDR3 2400MHz CL11
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080ti
    VR Headset: Oculus Rift CV1

• OpenComposite (see above)
    • Oculus Supersampling: 1.3x
    • Oculus ASW: Off
    • Resolution: 1920x1080
    • Toggle Mirrors: On
    • Track Level of Detail: Medium
    • Tiremarks: On
    • Specular: On
    • Shadows: Lowest
    • Car Shadows: On
    • Contact Shadows: 20
    • Shadow Split: Off
    • Multi-Sampling: 4xAA
    • Track Texture Quality: High
    • Car Texture Quality: High
    • Shader Quality: Medium
    • Visible Cars: 20
    All other settings I have turned off or on the lowest setting.

Graphics Settings Breakdown
    I will list the graphics settings here starting with the settings that have the highest priority for me. For each setting I will explain why I choose a certain setting:
    • Track Level of Detail | Large Performance Impact
      Probably the most important setting when it comes to immersion. I would really recommend setting this to medium above anything else, as the low setting takes away almost all of the character of the tracks. The High setting only adds more spectators as far as I know, so I would not recommend using that setting to save some performance
    • Contact Shadows | Small Performance Impact
      Another important setting for immersion, as this setting controls the shadow under cars, which prevents them from looking like they are floating. This setting should have barely any performance impact, so simply set it to match the amount of cars you have visible. It is especially important if you can't turn on the car shadows option.
    • Car Shadows | Very Large Performance Impact
      One of my favourites when it comes to eyecandy in RaceRoom. This setting controls the dynamic shadows that cars cast. The most important effect for me are the constantly moving shadows you get inside the cockpit as you drive around the track, which really adds a nice level of immersion. Keep in mind that this setting copies the quality setting you set for the overall shadows option.
    • Shadows | Very Large Performance Impact
      This option controls the quality of the static shadows on track and of the car shadows. I would actually highly recommend to keep this setting on 'lowest', not just for performance reasons, but because higher settings only make the shadows sharper. This makes the shadows even more prone to aliasing and I find that the lowest option actually gives a nice illusion of 'soft shadows'.
    • Specular | Unknown Performance Impact
      Another awesome bit of eyecandy, this setting not only controls sun reflections of the asphalt, making it look more natural, but also controls direct sun reflections in the cockpit and on cars. Combined with the car shadows it creates an awesome dynamic feeling in the cockpit as the sunlight is shining from different directions as you go around a track, constantly changing the small visual details. For me it only gives a small performance impact, but I've heard it was quite significant for others, so test for yourself!
    • Multi-Sampling | Large Performance Impact
      This setting removes 'jaggies' and smooths out the image and is very effective on the edges of objects around the track. It is not so effective on trickier edges such as the motec screen in the cockpit. That is why I would highly recommend to combine this MSAA with some supersampling. In my experience the 4x option is the best one, as 8x does not improve the image noticeably with a definitely noticeable performance hit. As this option purely affects GPU performance, you may want to turn it down to 2x on weaker GPUs.
    • Shader Quality | Medium Performance Impact
      The shader quality is the most noticeable when looking at the asphalt, on low it is very plain and light, while there is much more detail on the medium and high settings. There might be subtle differences between medium and high, but I struggled to spot any, so I would recommend setting this to medium, as high can lower performance by a bit.
    • Track Texture Quality | Small Performance Impact
      This setting should not affect performance much, unless you have a low-end GPU with limited VRAM. High quality textures are crucial in VR, so I would always put this setting as high as it can go.
    • Car Texture Quality | Small Performance Impact
      This setting should not affect performance much, unless you have a low-end GPU with limited VRAM. High quality textures are crucial in VR, so I would always put this setting as high as it can go.
    • Visible Cars | Very Large Performance Impact
      This setting controls how many cars can be rendered at a time, which has a huge effect on performance when a lot of cars are in your view or mirrors, especially on race starts. If you are running into performance issues, this is a good option to turn down first. However, with only 10-15 cars visible, I can tell from experience that you may run into trouble with cars very close to you not being rendered in time when driving in a large pack of cars. So, if possible, I would recommend keeping this setting above 15.
    • Particle Detail | Unknown Performance Impact
      This setting controls the detail in effects such as smoke and dirt clouds. It is difficult to determine how much it affects performance as it does almost nothing when there are no effects, but can cause large fps drops when driving through these clouds.
    • Tiremarks | Small Performance Impact
      This setting determines if tiremarks are left on the track or not, it shouldn't cost much performance and is a nice bit of added immersion around the track, so I would keep it on.
    • Shadow Split | Unknown Performance Impact
      This setting is a bit of a mystery, in theory, turning it on should result in nicer shadows, but with slightly worse performance. However, for me it actually boosted performance slightly to turn this on. I found out that this setting makes shadows very jaggy in VR for me, especially tree shadows on the track. It makes it as if the shadows are drawn on the screen in front of you instead of flat on the track. Not sure if that is intended but I'd recommend to turn it off in VR. Anyway, test for yourself and see what works best!
    • Opponent Cockpits | Unknown Performance Impact
      I'm not so sure about this setting, I think it only applies when spectating other cars, allowing you to use the cockpit view in their cars as well. I don't get much performance difference with a lot of cars around me with this setting on or off, so that leads me to believe it does not affect the visuals when you are in your own car.

The following settings I find are not really visible due to the limited resolution in VR, so I would simply keep them on the lowest setting:
    • Car LOD Distance Setting
    • Car Reflection Quality
    • Rear View Mirror Quality
    The following settings should never be used in VR in my opinion (up to you though):
    • FXAA
    • Bloom
    • Depth of Field
    • Motion Blur
    • Lightshafts
    • Lens Effects
    • Corner Markers
    [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. Doug Dezan

Doug Dezan Pro Driver

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 9, 2020
  9. Doug Dezan

Doug Dezan Pro Driver

How to setup triple screens

Community Support' started by Sector3,
    Source from Sector3
    Official Information Developer
    This is how you can set it up.

1. Enable "Surround" in your graphics driver control panel and make sure the game is set to run in this new desktop resolution and aspect ratio.
    (typically 5760 x 1080 for three standard 1920x1080 monitors)

2. Measure the following:
    A [distanceFromPlayerEyesToMiddleScreen]
    B [verticalOffsetOfPlayerGazeFromMiddleScreenCenter]
    C [middleScreenWidth]
    D [middleScreenHeight]
    E [middleScreenBezelWidth]
    F [leftScreenWidth]
    G [leftScreenHeight]
    H [leftScreenBezelWidth]
    i [leftScreenAngle]
    J [rightScreenWidth]
    K [rightScreenHeight]
    L [rightScreenBezelWidth]
    M [rightScreenAngle]

1-bmw-esport-vdl-3.jpg

Note:
    You can use any unit (inches, cm, m, etc.), as long as you keep it consistent.
    You can enter decimals by adding a dot. For example "1.5"
    Angles are measured in degrees.
    Vertical offset can be a positive or negative value

3. Enter the startup argument with your measurements in steam.
    The startup argument consists of the "-triScr" prefix followed by the values you measured as seen in the illustration above: -triScr A B C D E F G H I J K L M
    You should end up with something like this: -triScr 80 -10 60 35 2 60 35 2 45 60 35 2 45

• Right click RaceRoom Racing Experience in your steam library,
      • go to Properties
      • Click "SET LAUNCH OPTIONS"
      • Enter the startup argument

ldrbrd.png2.png
    4. RaceRoom now launches in Triple Screen Multiview mode, calculating a realistic Field of View and correcting the display angles according to your values.

5. You can tweak the FOV and Vertical offset in game, using the assigned keys.
    Go to Settings > Control Settings > Secondary Functions
    and assign keys to the following functions:

• TriScr Increase FOV
      • TriScr Decrease FOV
      • TriScr Shift Display Up
      • TriScr Shift Display Down
    Now go on track, and while in cockpit use those keys to tweak the view exactly to your preference.

We recommend to tweak your view in the following order:
    1. Adjust seat up/down/forward/backward
    2. Adjust FOV
    3. Adjust Offset (Display up/down)

6. There is an additional option available for improved object culling,
    meaning less objects popping in and out your peripheral view, that comes at a little extra cost of performance.
    You can add a "1" at the end of your startup argument to enable this option.
    Removing the "1" or adding a "0" will disable the option.
    For example: -triScr 80 -10 60 35 2 60 35 2 45 60 35 2 45 1

This is only recommended for users with high end hardware.

[​IMG]

10. Doug Dezan

Doug Dezan Pro Driver

Easy step by step guide to setup triple screens
    [​IMG]
    Shared source from youtube. Dave Cam

11. Doug Dezan

Doug Dezan Pro Driver

How to check your internet quality
    Instantly see your current & past network activity and badly behaving apps.

This is very important to know what your internet and computer traffic performance is before you race.
    Let's first find out the performance relationship the computer has with the internet. The software I introduce to you I use overtime before I enter a game is called GlassWire.
    Use GlassWire's simple to use interface to view all your past and present network activity on a graph. Click the graph to see what applications initiated the incoming or outgoing bandwidth and instantly see what hosts the applications were communicating with. Hosts are automatically resolved and also include their country of origin. Click the Apps and Traffic options to break down network activity by applications and traffic types.
    You can download the file here: https://www.glasswire.com/

I will show you how my computer performs, internet and gaming host qualities.
    First I will show you the first 5 minutes after the computer startup what is happening between my computer and the internet without starting any other app other than GlassWire.
    glasswire !.png
    You see I already have 15 apps running in the background online using 519.3 KB

app traffic.png
    Hereafter 7 minutes traffic transfer happening

bios traffic.png
    This is showing you Bios and Windows Transfers.

host traffic.png
    This is showing I am connected online, note there are 21 more processes working hidden.

total data transered.png
    After 7 minutes my interaction in total.

start up traffic 2.png

.......................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................
    r3e running on sro server.png
    Now after 15 minutes here is my internet performance connected to SRO R3E server, my car is on the track. There is around 150 processes happening with my computer addressing hosts online, 12.3 MB. Now is my internet good enough to race? Well, let us see below what my connection is like with my ISP.
    IPT-results-2021-02-09-143817.png
    I use Vancouver B.C. Canada to connect about 5000 kilometers away.

The game download is demanding 12.3MB and my ISP shows it has available for me 25MB
    The upload from my computer is .549MB, the ISP allows me .7MB.
    The only thing I have asked my computer to do is run the game. If I run anything else I cannot play.

This is very important when you are racing in an eSport competition on RaceRoom Racing or any game.
    Note: You will get booted at 200ms at R3E eSports, I am safe at 104ms.

I do see that there are too many processes working on my computer and I should clean up my computer to a happier race without lag, jitter, and discos. Hope this helps your computer to internet performance. ;)

12. Doug Dezan

Doug Dezan Pro Driver

How to Flush DNS Problems
    Everyone can get on a game but you? Try this, it works 99% of the time.

• message error (Content Server Connection Error 11001 )
    • ipconfig /flushdns

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. Doug Dezan

Doug Dezan Pro Driver

Setting Up Pitstop Presets & How To Pit

• Like Like x 1
  14. Doug Dezan

Doug Dezan Pro Driver

Missing setups and configurations after updates

Question:
    Answer: