Round 1 Bridgehampton

Discussion in 'The DNF Series – Mclaren M23 Closed' started by John vd Geest, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams Pro Driver

Had slight steering damage from start crash but didn't affect handling too much.
    Good close race with John, but he was better in the final corner where it was needed to make a pass, when I tried to take it quicker I ran wide and ended up spinning.
    Fun track to drive, though a little too bumpy for the old steering wheel.

Thanks to the commentary team for the great broadcast.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Yeah I tuned in last night whilst doing some design work and the broadcast was great, well done to the team.

Two small suggestions, maybe make the races slightly shorter next time (say 45 or 50 minutes) or maybe have a kind of sprint race and then a feature race.

I only suggest the double header type event because there were a lot of bent cars in that race last night. I just find that two races for each event tend to at least allow people to have another go. Nothing worse than practicing lots and then being involved in an accident at the start. I think four cars were involved in the startline shunt.

Anyway, well done to all the finishers. The car looks pretty evil to drive in places and the circuit although amazing was pretty unforgiving if you went off.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Bret Metcalf

Bret Metcalf Pro Driver

Hi John,
    Yes I watched the broadcast for about 30 mins actually before my internet cried enough. Hope to be there at the next round at Longford.

• Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1
  4. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver Donator

Q
    Had trouble doing a lap but managed for pole just before end of the session

R
    Good racing with Paolo 1st 15 laps or so until we hit.
    I took easy for start, keeping good care of my left front which was the one that was going to
    get bad at the later stages. So no pushing just driving around the track with Paolo.
    He was very fast on straight but felt i had him covered nevertheless when i start pushing and
    know my tyre will last whole distance.
    Had little traffic there and Paolo slipstreamed past on main straight. Had no interestest doing any battling.
    Just keep it up, gap to 3rd was getting longer and if start fighting it out, other drivers would join the fun.
    Following P1 was easy, no stress and then he made mistake. I saw gap to left and went there and then
    it started to get narrower. Went 2 weels sand and tried to keep car straight and we touch and it was
    game over for Paolo.
    Had some aerodamage as reminder for the rest of the race and it hurt my driving abit.

Traffic was great. Thank you.

I take the win but id rather had fought it out till the end tbh so not that happy.

Here is my view of the accident just to show i tried to work it out and keep straight but shit happened.

5. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

Sorry Andrew but I like the long races. Maybe the next series with these cars can be changed. For this series keep it at 60 minutes and yes I was one of the cars that got caught up in T1 and lost front wing and a lap down getting it repaired. It's racing these things happen. It was good to have the time to try and make up places. Shorter races don't take away the risks of pile up especially with these cars. That's my ten pence worth. :)

• Like Like x 1
  6. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

That's fair enough, I think my general idea was there's nothing worse than spending hours practicing and then having a front wing torn off at T1 and lap one. Yes it's racing I agree but some will just quit out of frustration and not come back to the series. That's why I was thinking of a shorter sprint race and then a feature 60 minute race if you like.

Anyway just thinking out loud, lol :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

Qualy: With low fuel the car flew and I managed to put in my PB. I was well happy with P6.

Race: Woke up this morning and I could barely lift my arms. I did an hours race just before this one so I really put my body through it. I suffer from FMS so that amount of racing is pushing me to the extreme. The vibrations coming through my rig were very high. I noticed during qualy that my keyboard had very nearly fallen off the rig. I had this happen once in a race and of course as it hit the ground it pressed the escape key, so glad I caught that and my keyboard was put on the floor. Well the thing I feared was getting through the fast T1. I saw 2 cars go off in front of me and I got alongside a car. I kept wide and slowed a bit but the car alongside hit me and I got catapulted straight into a marshals post. For a sickening moment I thought the engine had gone but a quick blip of the throttle and I was back in business. I'd lost the front wing in the crash so pitted for a new one. The dumb pit crew gave me 90 litres of fuel. Idiots they are now fired along with my race engineers. Came out and thankfully the car was driving OK with no problems but with the heavy fuel load I could only do 1:23's a couple of seconds down on what I could have done. I was a lap down and in P16. Put my head down and started putting in slow but consistent lap times. I knew they'd be more DNF's ahead so it was a case of ensuring I made none which for the most part I did finishing the race 2 laps down in P9. I believe if you are involved in a crash then part of the blame for it rests at your own feet. I haven't seen the replay to see exactly what happened. I hope that my actions didn't cause any problems for others. If I did then I apologise.

Well done to Toni :) and to the podiums :)
    Well done to those that finished the race :) and commiserations to those that didn't :(

I did watch the some of the race with commentary it didn't show the big pile up. The commentators did a great job so well done to you :)

On to Longford. I have driven the rF1 version of this track but not this one. See you all for round 2 :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

Should we consider a rolling start. I know this doesn't negate a T1 incident but I think it does cut down the chances of a pile up.

9. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

The one hour race is part of the DNF series concept. Man and machine are tested. Making the races shorter would take the edge off. There would be no consequences for reckless driving. If you make it to the finish line, you have achieved something.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Pascal Bauer

Pascal Bauer Pro Driver

Q: I was very happy with my lap. Got PB and P10. More than I expected.

R: In contrast, the race was frustrating. Someone came back onto the street and I had to brake. Unfortunately this went in a complete disaster with strong damage, so I had to box. 3 laps later, I made a mistake in this fast left corner, ending up into the wall. Next repair stop... and got a DT because of speeding in the pit lane. I was almost last place, lapped second time, so I had no motivation to go on further and withdrew from the race after lap 5. This decision was maybe to rash, when I see that some drivers were lapped 4 times. I hope that Longford will be better.

• Like Like x 1
  11. John vd Geest

LOL! serves them right !!

• Like Like x 1
  12. John vd Geest

I don't think that's a good idea. It takes the spirit away from F1 racing. Standing starts are exciting, but it has to be done right! We have to learn from our standing start mistakes.

The most common mistakes with standing starts are:
    1. Weaving and looking for gaps. Other people are doing the same thing and then it's billiards. Look left and right before you change your line.
    2. Trying to get around a car that's slow off the line without looking to left and right.
    3. Misjudging the grip level that you have on cold tires.
    4. Misjudging the brake performance you have with cold brakes.
    5. Not being aware of your surroundings (this one sums it all up).

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Paulo Lima

Paulo Lima Pro Driver

Funny how the situational awareness is on rF2 and any other sim.
    If one looks trough my "eyes" (i.e., trough my car) .. things look different as they also do on the vídeo of the streamming.
    Same shit happened at Sochi, same shit will always happen..
    FXXX it, I suck at this anyway :)

14. Paulo Lima

Paulo Lima Pro Driver

Don't forget these two:
    1 - Last zip on that cold beer
    2 - Putting out that last minute cigar

:D

15. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver Donator

I watched your cockpit too, but can
    only comment on my perspective as I cant say how did you experience it.

16. John vd Geest

Unless you are prepared to take the long game perspective.
    Right or wrong, the smart play here was to let him pass and survive that moment to fight another lap.

17. John vd Geest

Sorry, I lost the letter "Z" on my keyboard ... WTF! there it is ... ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ !!!

18. Paulo Lima

Paulo Lima Pro Driver

I tought Toni would pass on the right side, not over the sand.
    And when Toni tried to came back to the track, my car was alongside him .. and not how his view showed (just like Sochi) - but that's not his fault
    And there was intention on my part to force any contact, why would I?
    I was enjoying myself

I wouldn't make a move like that over the sand..

But I see, for you the fault is mine, right?
    So be it..

19. John vd Geest

This would be a good time to take this discussion to a private room, like pm for instance.

20. Paulo Lima

Paulo Lima Pro Driver

No discussion needed for me.

• Like Like x 1