rFactor 2 Round 1 Castle Combe Modern

Discussion in 'ACD Historic F3 Closed' started by Ken Jagger, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

Server is up

2. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams Pro Driver

I find it strange we are using the modern layout.

We are driving 1960's cars, whereas the modern layout was only done in 1998 (thanks wiki)

In addition, the 2 chaicanes can easily be cut, which makes it unfair for honest drivers if there is someone on the grid who doesn't like track limits.

Classic version is so much better to drive too.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

This is Gerhards decision on tracks he would like to use.

4. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

In the RW many classic/historic cars run on newer versions of the tracks they originally used way back when. I think the chicanes add a bit more to the driving experience, rather than just a flat out blast all the way. Abuse of track limits will result in a penalty.

5. Henri Miettinen

Henri Miettinen Pro Driver

I'll probably can race tomorrow. But I think it would be more fun to have second race in reversed grid. It usually results in more battles, and a tougher battle for championship.

6. Gerhard Hofmann

Gerhard Hofmann Pro Driver Donator

Nigel, this was Kens decision . :):D. But i think ist a good one. we have to observe the chicane cuttings .

7. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

Yes it was Gerhard.

8. Maddie Shepherd

Maddie Shepherd Pro Driver

Unfotunately can't race tonight. Would love to but I've been feeling sick for the past few days. (I've tried unregistering for the event but for some reason it won't let me.)

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Philipp Pichler

Philipp Pichler Pro Driver

I drove this mod before and it did not really change. I´m quite fast on a single lap, but my race pace is horrible inconstistent. I was really fortunate in race 1, although I hit Andrew at the start. This came by surprise, in front of me was everything fine and than boom...
    Recovered to fourth, not idea how.

Second race was not that good, except for the start but in lap two I expected Jens doing a move, because he braked a lot later than me. So I kept the door open, but he did something different (locking up probably?). I was confused by looking in my mirror, that compromised my line and then Bill hit me. That resulted in a spin and to be dead last.

Recovered to seventh, with some good fights, but I´m still sorry for Ed. My pylon rendezvous (they are cruel when you get them under your wheels) brought him in a difficult situation, I will try to avoid that in the future.

Some random highlights

I was amused by the fact that Andrew suddenly honked :D

• Like Like x 7
  10. Andrew Williams

R1 - as seen i video, sunk into the ground, and woke up on the grass. Sorry to all affected.
    Caught back up to the pack, and made to places
    Whoops :oops: Roel chopped right across my nose, maybe didn't know I was there. Then lost the rear under braking and cleaned Roel out (Sorry for that)
    A couple of trips through the pits later (D/T for incident and D/T for speeding) :rolleyes: still managed to pick up a couple of places before the end.

R2 - started at rear to avoid similar incident at start. Took it easy until the field spread out, then started making up some places. Had a good race for a few laps with Paul, but managed to edge away and close up to Ken. Twice when I got close to Ken, his car lagged, the second time I just tapped his rear (and nearly jumped out of my chair). Few laps later Ken had a spin and somehow I was up to 2nd.

Congrats Mark and all podiums.

I'm away for the next round, so good luck to all there.

• Like Like x 4
  11. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

Q1
    Did a PB and got 2nd on the grid :)

Race 1
    Mmmm. I simply can't remember what happened. Damn brain. I finished 2nd. I know I had a few moments at the beginning of the race on cold tyres. But apart from that it's a blur much like driving these insane machines. I know I had bent steering early on in the race but not sure why.

Well done Mark :)

Q2
    Not as fast as Q1 but surprisingly good enough for pole :)

Race 2
    Again the first few laps were like driving on ice. The rear tyres seemed to take a long time to get up to temperature. On the 2nd lap going into the first chicane I began loosing the back end. I corrected thought I had it then lost the back end again, corrected but I was now in that horrible fish tailing and inevitably I spun out. Sorry to those who got caught up in it. Not sure what position I was in after that 4th maybe 5th. I then went off at the 2nd chicane some time later and hit the wall. This once again bent my steering and it was way worse than race 1. The car was now very twitchy indeed and it took me a few laps to get my head around it and then I began to put in decent lap times. I had a great battle for a couple of laps with Andrew. Good close racing but ultimately he had the pace and began to pull away. I could see Ken and Andrew ahead but couldn't close in but when they started fighting I did get close within a second but then fell away again after Ken span out. Came home in 3rd.

Well done Mark for your double win :)

These are awesome machines. I think the layout choose for this track was spot on. The old circuit wouldn't have given much opportunity to overtake so good call imo. I hope I didn't cut the chicanes. I will wait to see if any penalties are dished out. Onto the Osterreichring. That should be a blast :)

Found out after the race that my Fanatec steering wheel has suffered the dreaded broken pin failure. Basically a pin has snapped off my BMW rim and lodged in the steering wheel base. Damn it. I've read so much about this. I have a 2 year warranty on it so it's got to be sent back to Fanatec. Luckily I still have my trusty T300 so today I have to switch them over. Damn Fanatec products. I have a love/hate relationship with them. They look and feel fantastic but do seem to be rather fragile.

• Like Like x 4
  12. Andrew Williams

The blue car and the blue car (and the blue car) had a race......

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1