Round 1 Hockenheim

Discussion in 'Deutsche Tourenwagen Masters Closed' started by Ken Jagger, Feb 26, 2018.

1. John lock

John lock Administrator Staff Member Donator

sorry about that Nigel, thought I had reverse, incident was started by Micheal Shmiedel spinning at the hairpin pulling back on track hitting me & knocking me off track, tried to get back on as gentle as possible, but these cars spin on grass no matter how careful you are :(

2. Martino Maggiolo

Martino Maggiolo Pro Driver

Thx guys...fun race. I spun out coming in for my first pit stop. I then had to pit again because i didn't have enough fuel to finish...dumbass! I used the softPH tires...not sure if that is right spelling.

3. Michael Schmiedel

Michael Schmiedel Pro Driver Donator

I was really looking forward to these races. My pace was good for the midfield.
    After an early brake failure, the disaster took its course.
    Big sorry to John Lock. I just missed you in my impatience. That's how I started the big accident. Can anyone here tell me how to turn off the large mirror in the cockpit?
    After this - because of the rules I drove voluntarily through the pits.

Thanks to Barrett Erickson for the nice duel that saved my night.

After about 30 minutes I was disqualified because of ignoring the blue flag. Too bad, I don't think I obstructed anyone.
    At the end of the day, however, this was probably the right thing to do, as I was ultimately responsible for the big accident.

I'll see you guys at the next race.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

Big grats on a great debut race at SRO Martino :) You certainly didn't embarrass yourself, more the other way around :rolleyes:
    The SoftPH tyre in the 2012 cars is the same as the Option tyre choice in the 2013 cars, so it's even more amazing how you managed to be so quick on what are slower tyres. Mighty impressive in my book!

5. Martino Maggiolo

Martino Maggiolo Pro Driver

Thx Ken, much appreciated. This is a very impressive site with a lot of racing going on. I wish I had time to join some others!! Cheers!!

6. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

Don't worry about it John we will move on to round 2 :)

7. Larry Thomas

Larry Thomas Pro Driver Donator

Only had around an hour to try out the Audi around Hockenheim and didn't have time to correctly work out a strategy. Not that it would have made much of a difference because I am (very) far from being the fastest driver around.
    Qualified last where I belong.
    The Race: In the second corner I went out wide so as not to touch anybody but had a small slide and had a small touch with somebody. Sorry whoever it was. As it was the small touch unknowingly caused me a big problem. When breaking for the hairpin I had no front downforce and ended up punting someone because of it. Sorry to whoever it was. By the way, this lack of downforce because of the touch at the front is over exagerated if you ask me - be warned! Anyway was coming in to the pits to do the drive through penalty and saw that I had picked up a Stop and Go. Because I went off the track (front wing problem) I suppose. Then came out of the pits to find that I had another Stop and Go to do!!! Well that really put an end to my race but I kept on so as to try and learn a bit for the next race.

What is the flag rule for the series? IMHO there shouldn't be any flag rule for races in rF2. There are too many problems and in reality errors get penalised whereas "cheating" doesn't. Just my opinion.

The next race can only get better:rolleyes:

8. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

I've yet to find a definitive explanation of the inner workings of rF2 Flags, but all SRO rF2 servers are set to BLACK Flag Only. However track cutting/overrun, either by intention, error or accidental means will incur rF2 in-built Penalties such as drive-through's for multiple cuts (usually 3 by default) and pit-lane speeding. These are a function of the track design and nothing to do with Flag settings within the Sim. We cannot turn them off without modifying the original track files, which we do not do at SRO.
    Analysis of the results files shows 2 records of track cutting penalties for you Larry, I'm not sure where/how/why, but that's what resulted in your 2 penalties.
    Anybody cutting corners on purpose and exceeding the inbuilt track limits at the same time will get the same penalties, so it's not a case of "cheating" to achieve an advantage.

9. Nigel Middleton

Flag rules are built in to some tracks and you can't over rule them with your server settings you would need to go in to the track file to change them and we would not do that.

We don't know what tracks they are until we use them.

10. Larry Thomas

Larry Thomas Pro Driver Donator

That is unfortunate as that means you do not know what the rules are when you go out and race.

I am pretty sure I know why. I went off wide two times. Both times I stayed out wide intentionally in order to make a safe rejoin. If I had come back on the track immediately, that is unsafely, without correctly controlling my car beforehand, I would not have got a penalty (I tested this).

Also strange that Michael was disqualified because of ignoring the blue flag.

ps: This is not a complaint about the administration, it is just me being frustrated about the rF2 penalty system and letting off a bit of steam.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Nigel Middleton

All of our servers the flag rule is Black only.

Depends what rules the track modder built in to his/her track.

Most tracks when you go off if you slow down you don't get a penalty.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
  12. Mark Hightree

Mark Hightree Administrator Staff Member Donator

By the time DRS was enabled Martino was 4-5 seconds ahead of me so I never got to use it in anger. Was settling in for a 2nd place finish when I was surprised to find myself in first. Too bad about the DQ Michael. I think you were in front of me keeping pace and maybe even faster and then your car disappeared. I thought I had a disconnect.

In most cases track imposed penalties and flag rules seem to work ok as long as everyone understands how they work. I think you get 3 or 4 corners to satisfy blue. Sometimes I will see blue cancelled after being shown but I always give position up anyway because I don't see benefit to that challenge. I know what it's like to be handed a track penalty without justification. Mexico City is a track that will give you stop and go if you get shoved off at turn 1 and then rejoin track in last place. Been there. Nothing can done about that except don't use the track.

DTM races are always fun. Looking forward to next one.

13. Nigel Middleton

Grats on your win Mark.

14. Sergio Casanovas

Sergio Casanovas Pro Driver Donator

Hi all and sorry i didnt show up for this one, electrician company working in the area cut the ligth for 90 min in the DTM racing time.
    Ready for the rest of the session.
    thnx

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1