rFactor 2 Round 1 Hong Kong

Discussion in 'Formula E - Closed' started by Ken Jagger, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

Server is up

2. Ken Jagger

Make sure you familiarise yourself with the different requirements of this mod, otherwise you will be up the river without a paddle! :rolleyes:
    https://www.studio-397.com/formula-e-energize-guide/

Due to the energy/fuel allowance for this mod (only 1 stop allowed), this first race will be a bit of a voyage of discovery for us all. It is set to 50 mins, as per the 2018 Formula E series, so we will review our experiences post-race to see if we need to tweak things for further races in the series.

To quote from the Guide:
    "This car is all about how efficiently you can drive it. You have a set amount of energy to complete a race, and you have to find the most effective way to get to the end, that results in the shortest time possible."

3. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

Looking forward to Hong Kong, Yes will have to be careful with the throttle.

4. Ken Jagger

Not just the throttle Nigel. There's lots to be gained from managing the engine braking and mixture controls throughout the race.

5. Nigel Middleton

Been practicing :) Does not mean I will be any good though :)

6. Ken Jagger

Virgin Territory for us all Nigel :)

7. Nigel Middleton

Will be very interesting Ken.

8. Michael LaBelle

Michael LaBelle Pro Driver

I may not make it today. I am away from my seat but hope to get there on time.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Nigel Middleton

Sorry I am late just got home first chance I have of not making round 1, Have fun see you all in round 2

10. Dino Paolini

Dino Paolini Pro Driver

Ok, I'll do a bit of a writeup as this can hopefully help some people with the mod.
    I was surprised to have a huge gap at the end because I'm not very good at streetcircuits and stuff like that and I think the few guys that are doing this series need some pointers :)

Setup relative to the default setting:
    What worked for me was
    - soft suspension-settings on the rear (spring, dampers, arb)
    - much lower downforce
    - brake-bias more to the front (because of high engine-braking from regen)
    - lower ride-heights
    - do not change away from the highest steering-lock or the cornering will suffer a lot

and in terms of fuel-saving:
    - coasting on the straights like the guide said
    - always regen on 9 in the race
    - bind your engine-map like the guide said, not only because of fuel but you can also lower your wheelspin with a lower setting to make the rear-tires last better

Hope this helps. I plan to do a couple more of these and hope there are some still driving so that the races happen :)
    I think the car is really fun, just the design of the track was a bit stupid.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

Threw away 3rd place due to miscalculating how much electricity I had left. Obviously most of us have missed something in the setup which extends the battery life. I'm guessing it's the torque map setting which I didn't change due to lack of practice. The race was dull as a result of plodding around the track but my fault for not practising.
    Well done Dino :)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2019
  12. Jens Roos

Jens Roos Pro Driver

It was a fun race, close first couple of laps with Dino, but then I had to back of due to my "fuel" would not last the whole race.
    I had lowered my aero a bit and was using regen 9, but it seems it was not enough.

My fuel-saving was not so good the first stint as well, so in the end I was running engine mode 4 and saving on the two straights.
    In the end I had 7% left, but then I did one lap less than Dino

Some stats can be seen here as well: https://simresults.net/190112-1ej

Agree it's fun to drive and a bit different challenge both to drive and setup, hope more will join next one

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ken Jagger

My race was pretty much a mirror of Jens, without being as quick of course :eek:. I was surprised to see Dino and Marc appear to run so deep on the throttle going into T1 and T2, because as soon as I got off the throttle with regen 9 the car slowed pretty quickly. Maybe it was just a lower aero setup that gave them a higher top speed and made it look that way?

Overall despite the small entry, the majority of us seemed to appreciate the different kind of racing challenge. Hope we get some more joining for the future street tracks. :)

14. Marc Brink

Marc Brink Pro Driver

Starting 4th with regen 9 and torque map 1 on the highest downforce I lost everything before the first turn. After T1 everyone ran away quickly, so after 2 laps I swithed the torque map to 2 and continued. Within a few laps I could overtake Norman and followed Ken a long time 'till the pitstop. After the stop it took a few laps to overtake Ken and came closer to Paul. With 10 laps to go I started to increase the torque map and drove quicker laptimes which resulted in overtaking Paul.
    I must admit that I didn't 'lift and coast' and went full throttle 'till the braking zone, so that's why I had higher topspeed going into T1 and T2.
    At least I went for an attack at the end as I saved enough power to do so.
    For the next race I'll try to play a bit more with the downforce, but I felt that on a track like HongKong it didn't make much sense.

Was fun and I hope for more attendees next time.
    Maybe post an advertisement on the official S397 forum to attract more people?

Btw, is there a replay available? I forgot to switch on mine.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Norman Bruce

Norman Bruce Pro Driver

Good race, mostly a learning experience ( for all of us ). Made some errors as usual, missed braking points and for some reason I decided to change down a gear at the end of the straight o_O. Overtook Ken near the end of the race but I really didn't have the fuel to burn so he got his place back next lap.
    Will have to try Dino's tips as there is a huge difference in lap times and fuel used. Looking forward to round 2, the only way is up.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Ken Jagger

17. Marc Brink

Marc Brink Pro Driver