rFactor 2 Round 1 Monza SRE

Discussion in 'World Series by Renault Closed' started by Ken Jagger, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Caitlin Penny

Caitlin Penny Pro Driver Media Group

I got horrendous lag spikes whenever someone joined or left. It really ruined my race. On lap one I teleported inside another car when someone joined the race late. Ugh.
    Not that my race would have gone very well anyway. Whatever I did, I just couldn't get this car to be driveable.
    Oh well. At least the rest of the circuits allow for more downforce.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

If you do the amount of practice that you did, it could create fear of a bad result because of all the time that you've put in. You have put more emphasis on what you have to lose than what you might win by all that practise. That's why you were nervous. You gave yourself a mental block. Next time at the start you should focus strongly on all the benefits that a good amount of practice gives you. You know ... like "I've got this!!" and believe it. Then you won't be distracted by negative thinking and doubt. Or take the simple approach like me by thinking "I'm here to have fun and it's just a game". ;)

Anyway, here's my race report.
    My main focus was on getting the braking and downshifts right so as not to create flat spots. And tire management was pretty good. After 30 minutes I still didn't have big vibrations.
    But the tires were in the yellow. So I thought ... those guys in front of me are bound to get big tires problems at the end of the race. I'm going to pit at the 35-minute mark and overtake some guys at the end ... Well, that didn't happen LOL! They all drove to the end without stopping. But I would not have lost position by stopping, so it was a save gamble.

• Like Like x 2
    • Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Yeah it was a weird one! lol :)

I think it was a combination of things, rushing to get onto the server, I haven't race with SRO for a few months, etc.

I'm not blessed by the sim-racing gods so I have to work at setting good laptimes :cool:

So my apologies for those that wondered who the twit was spinning off at every corner in practice, the car was in gear but my brain wasn't! :rolleyes:

Anyway my pace was good so I'm not unhappy just a little frustrated with the way things went :D

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  4. John vd Geest

Btw, on the replay I saw a very strangs thing. After the second Lesmo, there was a car with extreme warp and teleporting. Created a huge accident also involving Mark Hightree and others. That sucks to be taken out like that on lap one.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Oh that makes sense, as I came round the 2nd Lesmo there were two cars in the air I think and all hell breaking loose in front of me. :eek: I hit the brakes and managed to steer round two cars but caught another one which snapped the front wing. The joys of the 1st lap at Monza! :rolleyes:

Monaco is gonna be very interesting....:eek::p

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Syd Drake

Syd Drake Pro Driver

I see tire wear being mentioned. Is there a way/plugin to show tire wear on screen while driving?
    Also is there a way to show something like relative standings on the screen while driving? Relative to me, so I know who is in front and behind and how far are they?

7. John vd Geest

You can find that in the standard HUD of rFactor 2. You have to map a button for it on your wheel. Then you can cycle through the options like tire wear, standings, oil temp ect.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

So now you see the new Health/Social/Psychological benefits and support we are providing to our members FOC, courtesy of Professor J.vd Geest :D:rolleyes::);)

• Funny Funny x 4
  9. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Very useful advice but I thought the $50 consultancy charge he pm’d me was a bit much though…. o_O:D

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. John vd Geest

The fee was for letting me win the next round :cool::p:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
  11. John vd Geest

Oke, got the message LOL :p:D

• Like Like x 1
  12. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Pro Driver

Yeah John and we need to setup the server so people that leave it won't be able to join it again. Leaving/entering server causes lag to drivers, a driver from my team had severe problems due to that...

Cheers!

13. John vd Geest

Hi Rui,
    That's something Ken has to decide because it's his series :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Ken Jagger

In my opinion the RF2 re-join capability, for when you get a network disconnect or other issue (like I had), is a good feature to allow guys back in rather than lose out in being able to race completely. I personally didn't encounter any issues when others were re-joining after I had, so maybe it's not something that affects everyone? Can those affected please notify that here for further consideration.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Caitlin Penny

Caitlin Penny Pro Driver Media Group

Sorry to the person I tagged into a spin near the end by the way. I don't know who it was or what position they were running in, but I gave myself a drive-through for it. I hope I didn't cost you any positions.

• Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1
  16. John vd Geest

Neither did I.

17. Johnny Gutierrez

Johnny Gutierrez Pro Driver

Every time someone would join or leave, about 3/10's would disappear. Sometimes I would miss my apex or a car would appear closer in front. Scary. On the flip side, if you can't reenter the race and someones computer crashes at the warmup/start of the race, they wouldn't be able to get back in and I don't think that's good. This always happens it seems in every race and the more racers, the better. I'd just leave it alone and I can deal with it. If I crash, well, I'll just blame it on my car. :)

Caitlin and Ken helped me with this as well. Thank you. Turn off the race recording or replay recordings in your settings. This did drop it down to a tenth of a glitch witch is better than nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rui Santos

Rui Santos Pro Driver

@Rui Oliveira was one of the guys affected by this join/leave events, it causes lag for him that made him made mistakes/crashes. I think a rule that you can only rejoin in case of a disconnect is ok, rejoining after hitting ESC and leaving by your own should be not allowed IMO... I think this was precisely what happened, not disconnects at all, just people rejoining server because they probably changed their mind...

19. Ken Jagger

RF2 does not allow this

20. Mark Hightree

Mark Hightree Administrator Staff Member Donator

That was my first race in these cars and really enjoyed that one. Still a lot to learn. I ran the low downforce and finished 3 laps down. Yikes. Finally learned to stay off the curbs but couldn't completely avoid them so I went for a couple of spins. Apologies if I got in your way. I spun once in parabolica and when I got right three cars passed me on the outside and scared the crap out of me. Sorry dudes. And as John mentioned I got caught up in the first lap crashfest. But then I crashed later by myself and took off the front and rear wings. After all that I managed to finish the race. Nice size grid. Hope it's the same next race.

• Like Like x 3