Round 1 Oulton Park Int. - Sun Apr 5, 2020

Discussion in 'Nissan 370z GT4 UK Challenge Closed' started by John vd Geest, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

I started the race well manged to go from 10th to 5th car was handling great.

Caitlin was about 6 or so seconds in front of me then I saw she was only 1 second in front must of had an off.
    I was following nicely then the car behind me smashed in to the back of me sent me in to the tyre wall damaged suspension.

2. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

That sucks. I know you're pretty good on Oulton Park. Shame.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Had a poor quali, as someone in front of me slowed hugely almost in the middle of the track just before shell oils corner and I couldn’t avoid them. Had to go into the pits for repairs, and when I came out again only had Time for one flying lap. Had a great setup for the race, and was able to put in consistent mid 1:45’s and the guys ahead of me kept making mistakes, giving me opportunities to pass.

came out 7th from the pit stop and had a great second half battle with the guys ahead and clawed my way up to 2nd, then had to hold off Paul for the last 5 or 6 laps.

Really enjoyable race!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Michał Mazurek

Michał Mazurek Pro Driver

Blue flags
    7 laps to the finish, in front of me the guy rides a zigzag, I manage to overtake him, but I lose the braking point somewhere and fly out to the side. With 15s the advantage is 5s loss
    I was in 2nd position, finished in 5th.
    Next time, maybe next time;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. John vd Geest

Thank you all for supporting this series.

And we have our first winner. Grats to Paulo Lima !!
    Well done on this difficult track buddy!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Johnny Gutierrez

Johnny Gutierrez Pro Driver

I had fun. These cars are wild. Had a good show of Caitlin showing her drifting moves haha. Awesome stuff and good racing.

Johnny.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

Had a poor qualy and ended up 8th on the grid.
    The race was epic. Ran behind Chris for the first laps before I had to brake hard to avoid him and I ended up sideways and crashing into a tyre wall. Got back on track now way down and fought back. After my pit stop I had space to put the hammer down and put in some decent laps before I caught up with Chris once again. The final few laps was a hard fought battle with Chris in front and Johnny behind. I managed to get passed Chris briefly but he got me on the cut back. We went side by side down to the hairpin but I drifted out wide. I missed the tyre wall just and got back on track behind Johnny. Managed to catch them up and got back passed Johnny in my favourite overtaking place the long left hander at the beginning of the lap as you come down the hill. Was on Chris's gearbox to the flag. Was surprised to finish 3rd as one point I was 15th so a great fight back. The pitstop gives you a good chance to enable that fight back so good addition to the series.

Well done Paulo :)

Someone said these were the worst racing cars ever. Not sure whether they were joking but I think these cars are fantastic. They need to be driven carefully as they don't have enough aero to stick to the road like glue but that's what I like. This series is going to be good.

• Like Like x 4
  8. John vd Geest

That was my intention, to have a series with a car with a lot of "spark" in it. Not to easy and not to difficult.

I also really like the car. You can feel what it does through a corner and you can "steer" the backend with the throttle on exit. How cool is that?!
    Nevermind that 1 person doesn't like it. You have to spend some time with it to tap into it's full potential.
    If you like simracing, then you will like this car. Period.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  9. I have to agree now. Since the first race, where I seemed to be fighting it all the time, it always seemed to be too “on the edge”. I made a change to my wheel settings which absolutely transformed the ability to put the car precisely where I want it on the track, and (you’re right John) steer it with the rears.
    I was having issues with overheating the fronts very quickly before the change, now that issue has disappeared completely, and it now has much more “feel” .
    It is now a great car to drive and I’m now able to tweak settings and properly feel the effects.

This is shaping up to be a great series!

• Like Like x 2
  10. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

What steering wheel do you have Chris?
    What change did you make?

11. I have a Thrustmaster T300. The main change was setting the steering rotation range to the T300 setting of 900 rather than the default “car specific” one, (can’t remember what it was now). Other changes were to give me the force feedback feel that I wanted, and that’s a personal thing.
    I think the original setting was inputting too much steering lock angle for the input from the T300, thus massively “scrubbing” the fronts in corners, and it made it very “twitchy”. Now I can have much smoother steering input, thus not “pushingl the fronts so much.

Another change I made was to move away from the “Public Beta” version I was running back to the original version. I did this because the beta wouldn’t support a plug-in I wanted to use,.Now it may just be me here, but back to back, the car feels handle so much better in the non-beta version? My logic tells me this shouldn’t be the case......
    But it certainly feels that way?

• Like Like x 2