Assetto Corsa Round 1 Palm Beach Raceway

Discussion in 'Florida Winter Series Closed' started by Ken Jagger, Dec 15, 2021.

1. Stephen Hayward

Stephen Hayward Pro Driver

I sorted my issue with helicorsa so i am ready to race.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

well hope its full grid...

3. Daniel Iordache

Daniel Iordache Pro Driver

4. Daniel Iordache

Daniel Iordache Pro Driver

If drivers dont arrive at the quali , please make green others..

5. Darrel Kruger

Darrel Kruger Pro Driver

For some reason, I was on the grid at the start, my gas pedal didn't work, I might of hit the shifter to see if that would do anything. .... I was then starting from the pits. Dont hit your shifter. If it wasn't for that, it would have been tight for 13th place, ha!

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Julian Smith

Julian Smith Pro Driver

Exactly the same for me Darrel, ended up in the pits at the start with 9 secs penalty:confused: then forgot when i rejoined that my tyres were cold and span on turn 3 heading the wrong way so ended up at last place.
    My first race with AC so it was an experience, After i got my head down laps times weren't to bad,running high 113s-114s but the front runners were way to far ahead by then so battled from last to 5th but didn't do enough fuel saving in the race:( so had to do a splash and dash but finished 8th so quite pleased from last position.
    I need to work on this sim. congrats to the podium guys fast lap times and pace.:)

• Like Like x 3
  7. Philipp Pichler

Philipp Pichler Pro Driver

What a mess at the start :confused:
    Sorry @Stephen Hayward, there was a car at the apex of turn one, therefore I opened the steering wheel and headed into the run-off, just like you. I was already locked up, so no chance to avoid your car. I waited for you and let you pass again, but unfortunately you then spun around two turns later. Luckily your race was better after that, congratulations on the final result.

Regarding my race. I tried to save enough fuel to avoid a pit stop, but that did not work. Kiril was on the one hand too fast and on the other hand not fast enough to lap me sooner, :D So I had to dive into the pit lane at the last lap and forgot to unselect the tire change. That cost me a few places and helped @Franz Herbert Mann to pass me. If only my pit stall had been behind the finish line :mad: Anyway, good race, nice fight with you @Paul Upham. It ended a bit too early, unfortunately.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Tony Law

Tony Law Pro Driver

Not a great first venture into league racing. Poor quali put me in 15th but fought my way up to 7th and was comfortable there until my race was... Shall we just say, 'prematurely ended' :mad:

9. Michał Mazurek

Michał Mazurek Pro Driver

Hi to all.

At the beginning of my short story: Gentlemen, sorry for the first corner of the race.
    This is my return to racing after the break.

Qualifications: too many obstacles stood in my way, and my own mistakes to fight for something more. I didn't even deserve a second line, but I take it.
    Race: Good strategy planned, but amateur execution. I haven't had much racing in this race, rather chasing a missed opportunity. Now I know that my goal for the season is to have a flawless weekend.
    Congratulations to Kiril and Phil.

See you next time.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Michael Schmiedel

Michael Schmiedel Pro Driver Donator

My first race with AC. 45 liters were not enough.:eek:
    Is there an indication of how many laps are still possible?
    18 Drivers, a very nice grid.:cool:
    See you next time.

• Like Like x 1
    • Old Old x 1
  11. Stephen Hayward

No worries Philipp, i was heading towards the run off anyway. i totally lost concentration and tyres were cold etc etc.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Stephen Hayward

After a very poor first lap and way down the field the rest of my race went well. I miss judged my fuel with 40L leaving me short by around 2 laps so had to do a splash at the pits and was then pleased to see i was not the only one short of fuel with a couple of cars slowing or on the side of the track. I was then able to make up enough places to equal my qualifying position so i was happy. Excellent race and thank you to every one that made it happen. Look forward to the next round :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Doni Yourth

Doni Yourth Pro Driver

Results aren't up as yet but I just know that I finished well down thanks to yet again bungling my fuel consumption calculations. Groan... I ran dry with about seven minutes left to run. My vision is spotty at best and to reduce glare from a bright sky, I cover off the top couple of inches of my monitor screen with a strip of cardboard. Unfortunately, I made it so wide that it concealed the upper-left corner of the screen and I couldn't see the fuel warning. This also blocked my cue to blue flags. Sorry if I caused anyone aggro in a lapping situation. I've since clipped the cardboard to allow me to see that part of the screen.
    As for the race, I actually got into some dust-ups with a couple of people and quite enjoyed that. Thanks, gys!
    When this race first surfaced, I was very keen to enter the series and try my hand at West Palm Beach again. Again? I entered a Pro Formula Ford race there way back in February, 1979 but sadly, shunted in qualifying and the damage was to extensive to repair on the spot. Scored a DNS after trailing 1500 miles from Toronto. Swell. The configuration of the circuit was similar to our AC version but much different in some ways. See the illustration below. The switchbacks on the back straight were breath-taking at 120+mph.
    Moroso Park.gif
    And before I forget, spare a thought for this poor bugger. Some days, it doesn't pay to get out of bed.
    http://www.motorsportmemorial.org/focus.php?db=ct&n=1966

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Doni Yourth

Doni Yourth Pro Driver

Several other things now come to mind re my trip to West Palm Beach. One is rather surprising.
    I had the opportunity to do a track walk before the opening of hostilities and noted that the road surface seemed for all the world to be partly composed of sea shells. Maybe in this neck of the world with relative proximity to either the Atlantic Ocean or Gulf of Mexico, it is not uncommon.
    The outfield area of T7...the shallow, short leftie before entering the back straight...appeared to be a garbage tip. All manner of refuse was piled up there.
    Lastly, as a born and raised Canadian, I'm well acquainted with sub-zero temperatures. Indeed, I've seen more than my fair share of minus 40° on the thermometer. Doesn't matter whether you're talking Celsius or Fahrenheit; they level peg at that number for measuring heat. Frost heaves on our roadways are a normal consequence of a winter clime so I fully expected West Palm Beach deep into Florida to be as smooth as a billiard table. The straights and corners were so but, oh my!, the braking zones! Horrendously bumpy. I can only speculate that under a hot Summer Florida sun that big, heavy Detroit iron such as Corvettes, Camaros and Mustangs were rolling up the pavement on hard braking. Quite a shock and the bumps had my front suspension dancing around like mad things.

• Like Like x 1