Round 1 Sao Paulo - Sun Jan 19, 2020

Discussion in 'F1 1991 - Full Race Distance Closed' started by John vd Geest, Oct 22, 2019.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

The race length has been adjusted from 93 to 90 minutes.

With a formation/standing start, the clock will start running when the race actually starts at the green light.
    So, there will be a formation lap first. At the end of the formation lap you park your car in the red square on the grid and wait for the green light to go racing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

I'm only joking around but looking at the times on the server....did the track change or are some of you missing out corners!? lol

Admittedly I haven't run any laps yet, I've been trying to get rid of my bronchitis and it was making me difficult to concentrate without coughing every ten seconds. So I know these cars had qualifying tyres, however you are nearly ten seconds faster than the lap times at the time. haha.

I'm just trying to think of any corners that were changed since the mid 90's but in any case, well done as those are great times :)

1990 Brazilian Grand Prix
    Fastest Lap Qualifying
    Ayrton Senna (McLaren-Honda) 1:17.277
    Fastest lap Race
    Gerhard Berger (McLaren-Honda) 1:19.899

1991 Brazilian Grand Prix
    Fastest Lap Qualifying
    Ayrton Senna (McLaren-Honda) 1:16.392
    Fastest lap Race
    Nigel Mansell (Williams-Renault) 1:20.436

1992 Brazilian Grand Prix
    Fastest Lap Qualifying
    Nigel Mansell (Williams-Renault) 1:15.703
    Fastest lap Race
    Riccardo Patrese (Williams-Renault) 1:19.490

• Like Like x 1
  3. John vd Geest

Good info. Actually, the 1991 cars in this mod go a lot faster.

4. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

The ASR Dev team seem to have a history of making mods which are much faster than their RL versions. Check out the comments in STEAM Workshop about their F3 mod which is exactly the same.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Thanks for the info Ken, yeah not a complaint in any way at all. These cars are a blast.

Well I did a few hours in the LMP3 Ligier last night (that thing has an evil torque curve! lol) and then did a quick twenty minutes in the Ferrari on the server.

These cars have huge amounts of grip, the Ligier LMP3 feels like a bunking bronco in comparison! haha. You can hammer the throttle pretty much anywhere and the thing just sticks.

I'm not quick (I'm in the 12's if I remember) but the car is a lot of fun and reminds me so much of my races in the original Grand Prix game.

I'll do a bit of work on setup but @John vd Geest is spot on, the default setup is pretty nice. Just need to play with gear and wing levels for each circuit I think.

I would imagine the area where I'm losing time is probably under braking. I guess I'm not braking late enough and hard enough. I've always driven where I brake slightly earlier and try and carry the speed through the corner, which doesn't always work with cars like this.

No worries though, a great fun car and if I finish I'll be happy with that :)

6. Henri Miettinen

Henri Miettinen Pro Driver

If someone kind would tell me how long soft tires will last? Is it 2 or 3 stops or more? If more I think to race with hard tires. I am too lazy to practice so much to get tire tests done. :D

7. Pablo Finotti

Pablo Finotti Pro Driver

Look, John, wouldn't be better to set the race to 71 laps, like the real thing, instead of 90 minutes?
    Based on what I've seen in the server, at the current pace, we'll do like 75 laps...

8. Johnny Gutierrez

Johnny Gutierrez Pro Driver

I was running lap times in the 1:12 and thought to myself, "Dang i'm fast!" Then I looked at the people running in the 08's. Now it's, dang I'm slow but I feel so fast haha. We'll see how this race goes. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. John vd Geest

Thanks for your suggestion, but it will stay at 90 minutes for consistency over all event.

10. John vd Geest

The way I drive, softs will last for 50 liters give or take. I would have to come in 3 times.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. John vd Geest

But that's not the problem. The modders atempted to re-create these cars with a lot of realism. Also on the durability of the engine. I have blown a few engines in practise already because of too fast downshifting or mishandling the gearbox. It's not an arcade car. If anyone can drive for 20 minutes without blowing the engine, they can also make 90 minutes.

12. Denis Gorelov

Denis Gorelov Pro Driver

Sorry mates. Sunday ill be outside city and cant race. Next race ill be in

13. John vd Geest

Did you un-register yourself from the complete series (all events)?
    You are not at any event list anymore.
    You should only un-register from the event that you can't do.

14. Denis Gorelov

Denis Gorelov Pro Driver

Im sorry for my stupidity, but i cant find how i can register to seria but unregister for race, so ill just be off for Brazilia. Sorry

• Like Like x 1
  15. Paulo Lima

Paulo Lima Pro Driver

Well, these races will be a learning curve for me..
    To add to the difficulties you just pointed out, my brother while racing in some league, our t300rs made a loud noise and since then i noticed that it has almost no forcefeedback in the middle..
    I take the opportunity to ask if this ever happened to any of you guys

Back to the subject..
    Never ran more than 10m with the car, but i'll try to do a 30minutes stint to see what happens

John: when you broke your engine, how much boost were you using? Will boost 8 last? Will one have to use boost 5 or less so that the engine lasts all 90m?

16. John vd Geest

I've broken them on boost 7 and 10. The amount of boost plays a factor, but the evil is in how you use the gearbox.
    If you downshift fast like it's an F1 2019 car, it will break. If you use the gearbox respectfully and let the rev's go down as they should, it's not a problem.

17. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

How to unregister from a race.jpg

Last edited: Jan 18, 2020
  18. Maddie Shepherd

Maddie Shepherd Pro Driver

Anyone have any setup tips for this track or even a base setup? Struggling to find any more time but the car feels pretty good.

19. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

Race Day Password is set on the Champ Page ! Good Luck All ! :D

• Like Like x 2
  20. Henri Miettinen

Henri Miettinen Pro Driver

Sorry guys, can't race today.