Round 1 | Spa Francorchamps

Discussion in 'G.E.A.R. Multiclass Endurance Closed' started by John vd Geest, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Cody Eby

Cody Eby Pro Driver

Well said Mark. I do very much appreciate all the hard work that goes in to organizing these sorts of things and I would also like to publicly thank John and all those involved in the process. With that being said, John if there is anything I could do to help out now, or in the future please do not hesitate to ask. Thus far I have really enjoyed the experience here at SRO and look forward to continuing to race here. The engagement and activity on the forum is fantastic and it seems I have finally found a league where my skill level is competitive. Other leagues I have raced in I am either far faster or far slower than the rest of the field and it feels really good to not be way in the front or laps and laps behind the leader.

Maybe just a simple spreadsheet for administrative purposes keeping track of drivers and their selected cars? Again, as I mentioned above I would be happy to help out any way I can.

• Like Like x 2
  2. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Sounds like a plan :). I'll keep it in mind. I'm sure we'll do another series with this mod if it's succesfull to the end.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Angelo dos Santos

Angelo dos Santos Pro Driver

You can set the server in a way that during the Qualy session, rejoin is not allowed. Because of the problem of lag and microfreezes, a lot of leagues enforce that, in fact. If you drop during the Q session, no rejoin. You can rejoin in the WarmUp and start the race normally, but no rejoins during the Q session.

Honestly, I support that. Stable conections are a basic condition to SimRacing, and yesterday was too messy with the Q session and all rejoins.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Angelo dos Santos

Personal note:

My skin never showed on the server, neither on pictures, neither on the broadcast. I have no idea what Im doing wrong. :(:(
    Im giving up and just using the bloddy default red car that appeared on the race for me.

5. Angelo dos Santos

Car selection is a normal process to any league, and is very strange each race people driving different cars. So if there isnt enough personel to check if the drivers are using their correct cars, let the responsability of this to the drivers themselves.
    The driver have to chose his car and stick with it for the season. That is the rule. Admins will not check that, but if a driver is reported of use another car different from the one he originally chosed, then that is a instant DQ. Same rules as any other protest to have a valid report.
    This, with time, creates a "gentlemans code" that is very unlikely you will see some driver breaking it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

We can close the server for qualifying, That decision will be up to John.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. John vd Geest

Yes, close the server for qualifying please.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

Hey John.

Im with Coby on this one.
    Chaps need to stay in the car they selected. otherwise we'll all end up selecting the car that suits that track.
    there is no point in a multi-class with differing strengths if everyone chooses a car per track(we know that will end up happening)

We all gents here its up to do the correct thing and stay in the correct car!!!

another idea is those that take it more seriously youll find are all in a "team" (yes there are exceptions)
    so call it as teams need to remain in the selected car for the series , if needing to change they must request that in writing 1 race before the change

those that want to chop and change cars put them in a "proAm" category and they dont collect team points but are allowed to change if they need..

just some thought .

but i hope you close the GTE car selections again.
    Karl

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

Alexandr Meshkov left because he was having lag problems I think.

10. John vd Geest

You mean "open"?

11. Sim Racing Online

Sim Racing Online Administrator Staff Member Donator

Penalties Issued at Spa
    Marcos Junior has received a drive-through penalty for punting John van der Geest and failing to do a drive-through the following lap.
    The penalty has to be served in the next race immediately after the formation lap.

Joseph Wright has received a drive-through penalty for making avoidable contact with Maxim Borisov and failing to do a drive-through the following lap.
    The penalty has to be served in the next race immediately after the formation lap.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

Sorry, i mean "closed" as in people stay in the selected car for the season

13. John vd Geest

I have started a poll since it causes so much debate :)

https://www.simracingonline.co.uk/t...car-for-the-whole-series-and-who-doesnt.2861/

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Joseph Wright

Joseph Wright Pro Driver Broadcaster

Respectable and I totally agree with the decision. A massive mistake on my part, and will take this on the chin for the next race.

• Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Barrett Erickson

Barrett Erickson Pro Driver

Fun with YouTube captions:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

what did your skin look like?

pm me.

17. Barrett Erickson

Barrett Erickson Pro Driver

As for my race...

I never qualify well.

Had a lot of fun with Johnny G at the beginning. His demise was unfortunate, to say the least.

Not being one of the faster guys in any given race, i try to run consistent laps and try to squeak as much out of strategy as possible. It all seemed to be working out well until i made my first big mistake at La Source on lap 26. Spinning up on acceleration. Happening at a crucial time of the race it cost me 10 seconds to Rob and left me behind the battle Sean and Bartholomew were having, rather than ahead of it.

I think Sean let me by, but both he and Bartholomew were running very quick (fresh tires?) and he passed me going into La Combes on the next lap. Unfortunately, by then, i was coming under heavy pressure from Rob and when Sean left the door open going into T9 while setting up a pass on Bartholomew, i had to force my way thru it. We bumped a bit but then he followed me past Bartholomew at the next corner. Sorry guys, i really don't like it when cars running further up the order interject themselves into another pair's race, but i was in survival mode at that time, since by then, Rob was only a second behind.

Meanwhile, Paul was catching us both up at an alarming rate. Rob had his moment at Blanchimont, and Paul was all over me by the start of lap 34. Managed to hold him off that lap (pretty intense from my seat!), but coming thru Eau Rouge on lap 35 i found an unexpected prototype, fresh out of the pits, large in my mirrors. [Am i the only one for whom the protos have no engine sound at all?] If i'd known it was John, who i know to be super polite in such situations, i wouldn't have been distracted, but as it was, i didn't and i was. Trying to gauge the intention in my mirrors, i squeezed the exit just a little bit and spun off into the wall on the inside. Did my best to maintain control so as not to come across in front of Paul and Simon, who was right behind him.

I was left with a bent suspension and a cockeyed wheel, but managed to nurse it home from there.

Had some really fun racing and have only one complaint: i was passed for position in a very obvious yellow flag situation. Coming thru Raidillon saw a cloud of tire smoke and Alex spinning into the middle of the Kemmel Straight. I slowed, the car behind me, having more time to react as Alex came to a stop in the center of the track, just kept his foot in it. He took the position by going to the right of Alex, while i was trying to regain speed on the left. I've come to expect this in SimRacing, and it didn't affect my race in the end, but please guys, this is one of my pet peeves. Have a little respect for fellow competitors and don't take advantage of things the stewards would never let you get away with in real life.

That said, it was great fun watching the stream re-replay synced up with my saved replay. Thanks to Matheus and Alex!

• Like Like x 9
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. Alex Freitas

Alex Freitas Pro Driver

Anyone got the replay,please?Thank you!

19. Cody Eby

Cody Eby Pro Driver

I have it on my PC.

Not sure how I could send it to you though.

20. Cody Eby

Cody Eby Pro Driver

Double post