rFactor 2 Round 1 Watkins Glen

Discussion in 'G.E.A.R. Multiclass Endurance S2 - S397 Closed' started by John vd Geest, Jan 13, 2019.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

I can't help human behaviour Didier. I also would have loved to see a full P2 field on track. But some people just happily click away on the signup lists everywhere and then forget all about it. I really don't like taking people out as "no-shows", because we need them to fill the grids. But if we're gonna be serious about this series, I have too. Lets hope that class will be replenished for the next rounds with new enthusiastic drivers :)

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. John vd Geest

We waited for you Nigel, but it took a while so we decided to move forward.

3. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

Was not a problem John had fun anyway :)

4. Henri Miettinen

Henri Miettinen Pro Driver

Fanatec pedals?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

lol, yes I'm afraid so.

I had issue after about a year of ownership where the throttle was only reaching about 92%.

I cleaned the sensors and that cured the problem, however after about an hour or two or racing the problem would return.

So I used an application called DView (I think it was) via the heusinkveld website and using that I got Windows to ignore the last part of travel and it's more or less been ok since.

However I still have issues, mainly some games prefer the pedals plugged in via USB and others via the Clubsport wheelbase. So I have to keep taking the plate off and swapping cables around. Sometimes I have to reset the control settings every time I run a racing sim (Project Cars has this issue).

The issue last night could of been my mistake, I need to check as I had to reboot the PC a few times to get the pedals to be recognised, however it's still a pain as almost every time I lose all my practice time trying to get the things working.

This is almost a constant issue now so I may just bite the bullet and get a pair of heusinkveld pedals, or really go for it and get a set of HPP's, lol.

The issues above may have been sorted for the V3's I don't know, but don't really want to take the risk.

A shame, they are a lovely piece of kit and in fairness I only manage to race maybe once or twice a month so they shouldn't be this problematic. It's not like I'm hammering them daily.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Henri Miettinen

Henri Miettinen Pro Driver

I also had a lot of trouble with the gas pedal when I owned the Fanatec CSP V1 pedals. Make sure the magnet is in the correct position and clean on the gas pedal, and also clean the circuit board on the bottom. Dust causes a lot of trouble in Fanatec, but when I bought the Heusinkveld pedals there was no longer any problem.

7. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Yes I think that's also part of the issue.

I live in a quite old house. The previous place I lived in was almost dust free but this one is a bit of dust collector! haha.

As you say the little magnet and hall sensor has this nasty habit of collecting fluff and debris, which stops it reading the full travel.

The new Heusinkveld pedals are lovely though. Shame they are a victim of their own success as they are almost always out of stock.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. John vd Geest

Have to say, after watching the replay, I'm very impressed with our GEAR GTE teammate Kahel Grahf's recovery drive. First getting pole and then fighting his way back to second place after all his misfortune. Awesome!

• Like Like x 1
  9. John vd Geest

Sorry for the stuttering stream. Caitlin Penny is doing her best, but the broadcast arrangement only took effect 2 hours before the race and Caitlin isn't used to streaming rFactor 2, so she had to download the software, install it and learn on the fly. I'm sure it will be much better for round 3 on (Brno will not be broadcasted).

Technical issue's aside, great commentary as always!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

To be honest it's just great that someone is willing to take this on, many thanks to Caitlin. Hopefully I'll have less technical problems next time and I'll be able to put a tiny bit more pressure on the P2 guys! lol :)

Once again though, many thanks to those that made the effort to turn up. A really good show.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  11. John vd Geest

No-shows

The following no-shows have been taken out of the series:

LMP2:
    Francesco Fadenti
    Stefano Pedrinazzi
    Marcos Junior
    Kevin Elmes
    Vinicius Loyola

LMP3:
    Matheus Marcal cancelled himself to me on facebook. He stays in.

GTE:
    Erik Czakoi
    Antonin Vecerka
    Denis Pimonov

It's a shame that I have to do this, because the more drivers, the more fun. But if they don't show up, there is no support.
    If any of these drivers were abducted by a UFO or were otherwise incapacitated, so they couldn't unregister or excuses themselves, please let me know and I will let you back in.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  12. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

Qualy: Disaster. Car felt like it was driving on ice. Span a couple of times collecting cars as I went. Very sorry to all who got caught up. The No Escape rule is a good one but you do hesitate to hit the Escape to get out of everyones way. I eventually had to hit the Escape as I couldn't see to the left of me and I was right on the apex. So no time set.

Race: The start was a bit frustrating. Got caught up behind an LMP3 car which was fast on the straights but slow through the corners. By the time I got past the GTE field had fled. I also toasted the tyres within a few laps flat spotting the tyres. The vibrations were terrible but I guess realistic so I was glad to get to the half way point and change them. The second stint was a lot better and I managed to put in some solid laps. To the end I nearly caught Johnny only to realise I was around a litre short on fuel. Damn. Just before I pitted I got hit by an LMP car. Don't know who but I was keeping tight to the corner. Probably a 50/50 so no problems whoever it was. I had to pit anyway and I kept my position as Nigel was over a minute behind me. Nigel must have been having an off day. I expected to have a bit of a fight with him.

This is an awesome mod and I'm glad they have sorted out the tyres. Well at least I think they have as last time I drove the Corvette the tyres went off after a couple of laps but now the softs seem to last a lot longer assuming you don't toast them like I did in the first stint.

Well done to the three winners and the podiums :)
    Well done to those that finished :) and commiserations to those that didn't :(

Not sure whether I'm doing the next round as last time I looked I was still red lit. Hopefully John will throw out those that didn't turn up so I can race. I also may have visitors end of March so they may get in the way of my racing. I think I'll turn into a hermit. Racing rules ;) See you all on track soon.

Please check out the great Automobilista series Ken Jagger is running - Radicals (last few rounds) and in April a new Mini series. We need more drivers for a much underrated but utterly brilliant sim :)

• Like Like x 4
  13. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

Excellent I'm now green lit for round 2. I'm off to practice :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams Pro Driver

Qualifying
    Out lap
    1st flying lap - hit up the rear in T2 by an LMP
    2nd flying lap - 2 seconds from pb
    In lap - whoops, no enough fuel, no esc rule, quali over.

Race
    Passed a car into first chicane, then drove the next hour practically alone with Johnny 6-7 seconds ahead.
    Pitted after an hour and the car woke up, was reeling in Johnny a couple of seconds per lap.......... then black screen :mad:

Not looking forward to Brno, a twisty track in a car that doesn't like turning :eek:

Ps, skins seemed weird. Skins I saw on the server were different to what was on the live broadcast I thought.
    Jens was in a yellow car in game, but was in black on broadcast.
    Think I was only gulf skin in game (maybe wrong), but there were 3 on the broadcast.

15. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

We had some issues last time with the server uploading skins properly. With the new shader requirements and the region file it has complicated matters slightly so whether that was the issue I don't know.

Oddly I noticed some cars were overly shiny (the P2's were like mirrors underneath the rear diffuser which is wrong), however that could be a track issue. I believe the tracks have to be setup to work with the new shaders. Not a big issue.

I haven't checked yet to see if my skin was uploaded properly (my work PC blocks YouTube Vids). I need to sort the region file as the game is using the region file from the original car #85; not the one I created. I think someone mentioned this in chat about another vehicle.

I've had mixed luck so far, just need to experiment a little more. A bit like the first few times you have to do the windows with numbers on! :)

Yeah I noticed the P2 soft tyre is now much tougher too. However I've done no meaningful running on it yet so just played safe this time around. :)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

Watched replay. Great stuff.
    Commentator was right, last 30minutes car felt like a fraggin barge!!
    And wrong too, i let john go because car felt like something worse than barge. Better 2nd than wall ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

hehehe

and one in sector 1 on the last lap.....
    how on earth did you get it wrong and end up crashing into me??
    (no hard feelings, just curious)

congrats on the win!!

18. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

let me know what you find.

i was also struggling
    shader file seems very nb!!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

and thank you for the help.
    much appreciated
    hope you get to race next round.
    agreed John should boot out 1 person so you can race:D

20. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams Pro Driver

My game has downloaded skins...
    Ksteeg #47 - Black white and Red porsche
    Planet Express #66 - Pink Porsche

#88 DP - Helix Ulta White BMW
    BVRBJEM8 - Black and Neon BMW

No idea if any of these showed on the track.

I did not get the usual little green/grey/black boxes next to any drivers to say their skin had downloaded to my pc.

• Informative Informative x 1