rFactor 2 Round 1 Watkins Glen

Discussion in 'G.E.A.R. Multiclass Endurance S2 - S397 Closed' started by John vd Geest, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Pablo Finotti

Pablo Finotti Pro Driver

I thought you were going outside, because your entry was a bit wider, so I dove on the inside. Sorry about that, it was a misjudgment by me, especially because I passed P3 and GTE on the outside the entire race.

2. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

I'm racing in the next round. Good idea to boot people out that were no shows.
    Glad you found the setup useful. I'll post my Brno setup before the race.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Jerry Chen

Jerry Chen Pro Driver

LOL Johnny. It's in the "Tuning" tab when you select your car.
    But JvG is talking about LMP3s. The LMP3 doesn't have the horsepower the GTE have, so they could use the low aero package to help on straights.

For GTE, I doubt you'll want to use low aero package anywhere except Lemans. The low aero package on GTE has very loooong gearing and you will loose a lot on acceleration coming out of corners. At Watkins Glen, with low aero package, I was getting an extra 5mph more on the up hill going into the chicane. But you lose time everywhere else so total lap time ends up slower, and you also torch the tires faster.

• Informative Informative x 3
  4. Eric Moinet

Eric Moinet Pro Driver

Qualy: I think I never had a clean flying lap, always a car slower ahead or faster behind when I was improving. Meh...

Race: First half was fun, surprised to see myself 2nd in class although I've been stuck behind Rob for about 10 laps.
    Then I had the silly idea to change only front tyres as rear were okay. Not so okay, the rear was sliding too much after the pit stop and it went from bad to worse at that point. Going back to the pits, having repairs... What? Why repairs? Refuel with an already full tank, new tyres and.. What? Wait! Rain tyres??? But I never asked for rain tyres!!! Oh my! Back again to change tyres, new repairs... Oh chiotte! Doomed by my wise strategy.

Happy to finish. A race to forget, a week-end to forget, next one can just be better.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

aahh ok.
    no matter.
    i was actually broken and fighting my steering, was trying to get inside enough.
    i know during the race LMP's went around the outside.
    glad you wernt damaged badly

6. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

@John vd Geest
    would it not be better to limit guys laps in quali.
    i too battled to get a clean lap. my fast lap i actually had an LMP nudge me.

i believe laps should be restricted like a top 10 shoot out.
    eg 4 laps, out, fast1, fast2, inlap.
    then other guys have a fair chance too??

Thoughts??

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

We could do that. 4 laps x 2 minutes = 8 minutes x 3 classes = 24 minutes.
    We could do 1 out-lap and 3 flying laps, hitting Esc. after you cross the line on the third flying lap.
    So, let's say each class gets 8 minutes of Qual track time, or 4 laps.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1
  8. John vd Geest

Jee Eric, that's quite the pitlane advanture :). I'm sure you'll do better next time.

9. Neil Tasker

Neil Tasker Pro Driver Donator

not really sure what happened to my night, signed up last minute as Saturdays gt3 race gave me the bug. had little time to get a set up going but felt I could get round ok as knew the track well, didn't go like that at all off the pace too 80% of field and just generally struggled. few silly mistakes then a pc pop up notice mid race and mid corner took me out of game and a quick push of the esc button to not ruin anyone else's race was first instinct, i seem to keep flat spotting tyres too. but was fun to be back out there in multiclass racing, hopefully will make the list for Bruno and get better practice in, still had a blast whilst it lasted great racing by all

• Like Like x 2
  10. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

what an adventure!!!!!

we all have those.
    i drove through pitlane not seeing my markers.
    stopped where i stopped in quali thinking WTF...
    so i went out again and pitted next lap.
    dropped from 8th to 11th.

but ive learned.

races like this i try learn something from it.
    make it a good learning lesson

11. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

The easy way is to have separate qually I know it takes more time I feel that is the best way not in favour of lap limitations.
    John's series he decides :)

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  12. Eric Moinet

Eric Moinet Pro Driver

Yes, I've learned something: change all tyres at once :rolleyes:
    Usually I profit from the mistakes of my opponents. This time, well...

As for the qualy, I don't claim to change anything. That's an exercise on it's own. I was very unlucky today, but that was not my week-end anyway.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Caitlin Penny

Caitlin Penny Pro Driver Media Group

Thanks for clearing this up. :)

14. Barrett Erickson

Barrett Erickson Pro Driver

Curious about this, because, although S397 forums indicated that old skins should continue working, i had to reestablish my skin in rF2 before this race, as it had 'disappeared' from the car list after the latest S397 update. Even though all the folders and "rcd" files were still there in Windows Explorer, they weren't working anymore.

What i see on Caitlin's broadcast (thanks for doing this Caitlin!) is my skin as intended, which should be a grey to black fade with "FootSniffingPig" on the doors. It was an alt skin to the #99. Nothing neon about it. You seeing this? But what i see is the Flying Lizard livery on Jerry's car (Planet Express #66?) in both my replay and Caitlin's stream, even though i see a pink livery if i go to "tuning" (_987_JC66ALT). I have two skins in Karl Steeg's vehicle file (KSTEEG#47): one basically white (_42_KARLSTEEG_ALT) and the other as i see it in Caitlin's replay (_42_KARL_SEEG_ALT), which i assume is a later, finished version which i see on my replay and Caitlin's stream. I don't see any download for a #88 DP BMW. If you keep a personal replay from in game are the skins different from Caitlin's stream?

I'm thinking this may be related to the new material textures introduced by S397. I couldn't find a new template for the GTE, but eventually i found i had to recreate a directory from the base car (the "loose skins" folder is named differently) then copy my existing dds's to that ("mas" files didn't work), then load them in game and recreate the personal vehicle. I did a "reload" in the showroom at each stage as well, which was necessary at some step, but i'm not sure which (this creates the new "mas" file that is now essential for skin transfer). It was then necessary to load the skins materials utility (as described in their tutorial about creating new skins for the GT3 cars) and setting all the elements (except maybe alpha?) to "Car Paint" and that resolved the various issues i encountered (if you have a valid "regions.dds" per the materials texture templates you'd be able to set the various elements as intended). You also have to do a final "reload" in the showroom to create the final "mas" file that is what i believe now gets uploaded to the server and downloaded to the various clients via "skin transfer".

Can anyone confirm any of this?

15. John vd Geest

That would be the best option. I was trying to save time.

If you guys don't mind a 30 minute qual, we could do 3 x 10 minutes per class.
    Who is in favor of that?

16. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver Donator

I dont care how we doit.

10 mins and everyone on track!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

As the series has started might be best to leave as is 10 minutes qualifying all cars on track?

Your decision John :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  18. Marc Brink

Marc Brink Pro Driver

@John vd Geest:
    I agree with 3x 10 minutes. What difference does 6 minutes more make?
    At least every class has the chance to drive their own laptimes.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams Pro Driver

@Barrett Erickson I don't have race replay as my game froze, but I have checked qualifying.

I have 5 of you all in this same car.....

GRAB_104.JPG GRAB_103.JPG GRAB_102.JPG GRAB_101.JPG GRAB_096.JPG

20. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams Pro Driver

In addition, I have 5 different drivers in the same number 17 cars

GRAB_106.JPG