rFactor 2 Round 1 Watkins Glen

Discussion in 'G.E.A.R. Multiclass Endurance S2 - S397 Closed' started by John vd Geest, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Marc Brink

Marc Brink Pro Driver

@Andrew Williams:
    Same issue here regarding the BMWs, although with a slight difference; Barrett's driving a McLaren in my replay. (?)
    That's odd, unless Barrett's switched cars during warm-up. (most unlikely)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Just to help for some people with custom skins.

The cars with the new shader updates (which admittedly are not many, I think it's just GT3 and the Endurance pack at the moment) have had all their folder structure renamed.

So if you had a custom skin before the update you will find you can no longer load it into the showroom. You need to recreate the custom skin folder from within the showroom and then move your DDS or MAS files into the newer folder.

You can then delete the old folder(s) if you wish. Sounds complicated but it's quite an easy job. Only took me a few minutes.

Annoying about the region issue, I wasn't sure if the skin would be fine without it (to start with at least) but it looks like it does has to be in place otherwise you'll get the file used from the original car.

Out of curiosity I'll try a region file with just a black background (black is mainly used for bodywork) and see if that works as a quick fix. I will do all the various region layers at some point for my car but the HP #55 is more complex that some others I've done so I left it for round one. As I say though it's all good learning so not complaining.

Not too bad TBH. I've done skins for Assetto Corsa where I've ended up with 20+ files for one car, and the fact you can watch the material changes in RF2 (in real time) in the showroom is a pretty cool feature.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Henri Miettinen

Henri Miettinen Pro Driver

I suggest one hotlap. It would get a mixed grid, making the race more fun :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Let's deal with this question first. Adding more suggestions will create chaos :)

5. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Just remember, if you get bored sitting on your ass 20 minutes, don't blame me! :p You've asked for it. Power to the people !!!

Fine with me. I can smoke, get a drink, watch YouTube, check my mail, pay my bills, bother the wife, and think of ways to thank you all for congratulating me on pole position.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

I don't mind, whatever people are happy with, lol

I had no issues with the mixed session, it's part of the "game" for me. Finding the space, making the lap count, etc. If we did end up having 36 cars, traffic would have been more of an issue for sure.

However I know it could be a problem for some of the GTE cars, if us faster cars catch them whilst they are on a hot lap. I wouldn't want to make them slow down when they are on a PB, etc.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

Guess the Q was just fine as it was

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Marc Brink

Marc Brink Pro Driver

I'd say: have a smoke, get a drink, watch YouTube, check your mail, pay your bills, bother your wife and... keep dreaming. :p

9. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams Pro Driver

McLaren isn't even in the Endurance Pack, so where had that come from?

10. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

Is there a Private Qualy option? Where we all get the track to ourselves. I don't see a major problem with having everyone on track at the same time. It's all part of multi-class racing. You need to manage the situation which is a challenge. Keep it to 25 minutes and all cars on track. That said I'll probably be cursing next race when someone gets in my way :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Johnny Gutierrez

Johnny Gutierrez Pro Driver

I'm one for leaving it the way it is. Yes, we might get it in each other's ways but it's less complicated for all of us and for me it makes it that much more exciting. I've noticed, when things become over complicated, people tend to join less. I enjoyed the 25-minute free-for-all qualification. :)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Marc Brink

Marc Brink Pro Driver

Search me. There are so many things about rF2 which are a surprise.
    Let's say that the game needs a huge polish up.

13. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

hi.

interesting.
    the red white skin is the default car i modded to create my car.
    my actual skin is a blur and orange ala Gulf colors.
    i had about 5 red bars, some went grey, and the others went green.

not sure whats going on with the livery thing.

14. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

zackklllyyyy.....

therefor my vote remains as lap limitation.
    space wont be an issue as once player 1 has done 4 laps he pulls into pit, player 12 now has space to run his laps
    ive seen guys treat it as a practice session.

if youve prepped properly before hand, you will need no more than 3 laps!!
    if you dont get your absolute fastest so what...
    im noticing a trend where guys are racing each other in quali then spoiling the laps for both.

go out, give space before and behind you, if you know you'll catch the guy in front of you, slow down or go into pit and wait for a gap
    this is where 4 laps only will help with track space.

remember LMP1 was 10 seconds faster than GTE.

places like Petit Lemans will be a nightmare as its a very short track.

15. Andrew Williams

I assume (not so up on rF2) that in the car folders (eg the Porsche_991RSR_GTE_2017 folder) I should have a bunch of .rcd files and a bunch of folders that the .rcd points to?

If so, I only have the .rcd files in there, but no folders

16. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

as far as i know yes, but i too am learning rF2

17. Eric Moinet

Eric Moinet Pro Driver

Yes, INDY 500 it is.

18. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

For custom skins to work you need to create a folder for it whilst viewing the car in the showroom. This is saved in your USER folder. With all your setups. Etc.

From there you save all your custom DDS skin files in that folder, select the custom livery back in the showroom and away you go and that’s it.

You don’t need RCD files or anything complex like that. DDS files will do the job for you fine.

The files have become a little more complex since the shader update, in that the game now creates a MAS file and a JSON file with the material specifications in but that’s more or less automatic.

The only way you can get more involved is by creating RFCMP for your car. These are mod files and are the complete car pack if you like but for our purposes not necessary. :)

19. Jerry Chen

Jerry Chen Pro Driver

I'm fine with single quali session with everyone on track at same time. It's just qualifying. So what if you don't get a clean lap.
    I'm here for the racing, not the hot lapping competition.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. Andrew Williams

Hey @Andrew Harper

I was referring to files my pc had downloaded from the server of other people's custom skins rather than creating my own skin.

• Like Like x 1