Assetto Corsa Round 1 Zandvoort 1973 - Mon Mar 1, 2021

Discussion in 'Lola T70 MarkII Challenge Closed' started by John vd Geest, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Laurent Londes

Laurent Londes Pro Driver

How about driving left of it?

2. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson Pro Driver

Yes you can drive left of it, just seems odd the track designer left it there o_O

3. Maxime Tendil

Maxime Tendil Pro Driver

Haha, can't you just trust the Dutch designers ? "There is plenty of room, man, move your ass !" :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Caitlin Penny

Caitlin Penny Pro Driver Media Group

We're live!

• Like Like x 2
  5. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson Pro Driver

well my Lola career lasted all of 9 minutes :( hit an invisible car or someone did the weirdest rejoin ever. :rolleyes:
    Though off the pace in qually it seemed i was able to mix it with the grid in the race and was enjoying some good battles in the opening laps. Was just enjoying a great close chase of Maxime for 7th/8th when Bang!:eek: my car hit an invisiible wall, stopped dead from full chat and left with a mangled car, damaged suspension and steering bent at an odd angle. :( I pootled around to the pits but it took 2 mins + of repairs and i rejoined 2 laps down. With such a small grid it wasnt really worth continuing but i spent half hour just enjoying lapping the car until i was in the way of lapping cars so retired with nothing to gain. The HUD said Czabo was involved in the collision but no idea where he came from...disco?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

Well, after that debacle I've just completely re-built and calibrated the pedals.
    Bathurst in the Wazerati tomorrow should prove if I did good or not...

WD to the podium, I'm hoping to be back upto my normal pace and bothering you next time out :oops:

• Like Like x 4
  7. Kimi Martikainen

Kimi Martikainen Pro Driver

I just watched broadcast, what a race from Maddie, well done, that was awesome!

• Like Like x 3
  8. Matteo Santini

Matteo Santini Pro Driver

Unfortunately this car is a bit challenging for me, as I can't heal and toe cause of an unnatural position of my right leg on my damned cockpit. Said that, I wanted to give a try and see if I was able to race.
    Didn't try any pit before the race, but probably my opponents did :cool:, cause my strategy to start with half tank costed me ages at the pit... a.k.a refueling 48 litres will cost a lot more time than change your tires only.
    After that sour discover I did a lot of mistakes. Sweatdrops going right into my eyes didn't help at all in those circumstances...
    I found involved in a fight with Jos for 3rd place during the last minutes of the race, but I can't define this a proper fight, as my ability to brake was totally compromised by my non-orthodox downshifting method. As I was not confident at all with my braking I ended my "dirty work" on Jos' bumpers, spinning his car on the grass. Lorenzo took advantage of my idiocy stealing us the chance of a podium, as I could only wait for Jos to "reshape his mind" giving him some breath after my bullxxit, so I ended up defending my 5th place by Phil in the very last lap of the race.
    I hope to find a way to downshift using no clutch and without crashing my gearbox, but I guess it won't be easy. Without exploiting the engine braking, to barely stop this coffin becomes a really hard work and I feel unsafe with cars around me...

Well done to Maddie for a superb race, and to Laurent and Lorenzo that completed the podium. Sorry again Jos :(

• Like Like x 3
  9. Maxime Tendil

Maxime Tendil Pro Driver

My apologies @Paul Anstey I didn't see you at last turn exit L4 cause I was watching at Mark struggle in my mirror. I did let you get the position of course but wanted to tell you that I feel sorry about that, thankfully you nicely handled that.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Maddie Shepherd

Maddie Shepherd Pro Driver

Was happy but really surprised to get pole as my pace didn't seem that good in practice. Despite this I kinda messed up the race start by locking up and going too wide at T1, pushing Laurent off in the process. It was my fault so I served a drive-through at the end of that lap. Sorry again for that. It was all on me. @Laurent Londes

After the DT I came out in 10th or 11th and quickly caught up and got through a few cars before starting to hunt down the top 3. I passed Laurent for 3rd after he made a mistake and then passed Lorenzo a few laps later. There was 13 second gap to Matteo in the lead and I slowly brought this down until he pitted with 30 minutes to go. I still had around 6-7 laps of fuel at this point so I was happy to go much longer. When I pitted I went into the pits far too fast and missed my pitbox, costing me 3-4 seconds whilst I reversed. This allowed Laurent to have a 3 second gap in the lead as I exited. I had a pace advantage over him but kept on making silly mistakes, including one where I hit a kerb and picked up damage from bonking the wall.

With just 3-4 laps left I caught Laurent and we swapped positions a couple of times in what was probably one of my favourite battles ever. It was hard but fair and we definitely touched a few times through the first sector. Eventually I found myself ahead going into the final corner of the last lap and he tried a last-ditch effort to out-brake me but went wide. So so happy with getting the win despite so many mistakes and the 1st lap incident and it's definitely my best SRO race to date.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  11. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

The DLC track was there because it won in the pre-season "trackvote" by the league. Also costed me € 5,- extra to give to Caitlin.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Yeah, that bothers me. It's a DLC track and the creator plants a building in the middle of the pitlane. It's not like he didn't notice. Why would you make such a decision? Weird.

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson Pro Driver

hmm, just watched the replay but still none the wiser as it doesnt show what happened to my car, only the aftermath. Nobody appeared to disco at that point and i was only a few feet behind Maxime so what the heck did my car hit? @Maxime, did you see what happened? I wonder if there is another invisible protusion into the track through that corner but i was glued right up behind Maxime so would have thought his car suffer the same fate o_O

Great close finish at the end with Laurent and Shepherd :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  14. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

No worries I did come from behind Mark to overtake both of you so can't blame you for not seeing me. :)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Laurent Londes

It's good to be back racing at SRO. It's been a while because I was struggling with my new VR headset for some months.

Qualified P3 a bit less than 4 tenths of Maddie's pole. I really don't think there was more time in that setup for me anyway.

Matteo dropped a bit back at the start. I had a good one and went for the outside line in T1 but Maddie missed her braking and slid/understeered to the edge of the track where I was so I had nowhere to go but off track. She took a drive-through which is fair. I dropped back from P2 to P8 because of this. I could make a few places but after some time Maddie was catching up. I made a mistake running wide in a corner losing all speed and she was able to pass me. I started the race with heavy fuel load and thought I still had a chance to overtake in the pits later on. I had some shifting issues which caused some serious damage to my gearbox but as long as it wasn't completely broken I would be okay. But that meant I started to change the gears I took in some corners to make it to the end. I lost a bit of pace in the second stint because of that but not too much I think. I missed my pit box which was closer to the entry than I expected (should have practiced that!) but I saw in the replay that Maddie did the same :) I came out just in front of her after her stop and was able to pull away a little bit more before her tires were up to temperature. I made a few little mistakes in the closing stages as I tried to push to keep in front but I saw her lap times and I had to take risks. I don't know how she does it but she had so much more speed down the straights and out of corners that it was quite impossible to defend, but I tried my best. We traded the lead a few times in those final laps and it was great. It was hard but fair racing like she said indeed, that's also how I see it. Great race altogether, during the first stint I felt I could still regain the lead since I was heavy on fuel and that worked out but Maddie was just flying, well done! I need to work on the setup some more for the next one..

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Maxime Tendil

Maxime Tendil Pro Driver

I saw nothing in the heat of the action. Watched the replay since, and feel sorry for you mate :

• Informative Informative x 2
  17. Laurent Londes

Oh man, that sucks, hit by a torpedo Csaba. I wish the sim would ghost the car when this happens :(

• Like Like x 2
  18. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson Pro Driver

wow, what the heck was that? lightwarp Czabo car :eek: so some kind of disconnect from Czabo? can see weird tyre smoke on left then his car appears at warp speed from the right into mine ! but then he follows through normally after ? :(

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Kimi Martikainen

Kimi Martikainen Pro Driver

I actually give my vote for that, in track voting thread it says free or payware, I though that we use free version there which I have. Anyway no biggie, funny that track got such a bugs and it's payware and it was Ted's suggestion who didn't even show up... ;) I already did couple of laps @Donington 38, it will be blast, fast and lethal, just how I like it. :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Laurent Londes

That 1973 version feels a bit more rushed than the other versions in the pack.

• Agree Agree x 3