rFactor 2 Round 2 Belgium 66 F2

Discussion in 'Classic Formula Festival Closed' started by Ken Jagger, Jan 14, 2021.

1. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

Sorry to disagree but they don't. To be truly accurate the aero drag etc comes from settings in the vehicle files and not from any visual bodywork appendages.
    Their are some extremely minor differences in the two files for each car e.g. base drag for the Eve is 0.355 and for the Spark its 0.359. The length/width of the cars are also slightly different. All other parameters are the same from what I can see.
    Maybe those tiny differences are enough to make them feel different to some people, but I still stand by my view that performance wise ISI/S397 made them competitive against each other i.e. Performance Balanced which was my original statement.

2. Ted Hough

Ted Hough Pro Driver

You can think that as much as you want.

Just one more person I can easily beat on track because they're uninformed.

The stopwatch doesn't lie. Especially in the F3 race the Spark was down by 10-15 KM/h in terms of top speed. I'd highly suggest not taking it once we get through the F1 race and circle back to the F3 cars. I'll probably also be taking the no-wings package on the F1 car in two weeks or Front Diveplanes w/o Rear-wings. I'd be interested to see what the time sheets say.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
  3. Gert-Jan van Osch

Gert-Jan van Osch Pro Driver

By the way, what program or how do you make these kind of videofiles from the rF2 replay... Is that some feature within rF2 or a seperate tool?

4. Ted Hough

Ted Hough Pro Driver

You would need a separate recording and/or editing software to pull video from the game and then upload it to a file sharing service like Youtube.

nVidia graphics card equipped computers come with something called "Shadow Play" which lets you record video of your screen/gameplay/replay footage. Then you'd either upload that raw video file or run it through a video-editing program and render it/edit it into a different file format, first, before uploading it. Both are fesible. I'm pretty sure a raw MP4 file recorded from Shadow-Play is what Maddie's using here. If not, then it's been run through Sony Vegas (or similar) and edited up first before rendering and uploading.

5. Gert-Jan van Osch

I did a quick laps with the F1 with front and rear wing and without. I placed the drag and topspeed in MoTeC... Ted is absolutely right. The rear wing definetely is not esthetic.

upload_2021-1-19_21-9-13.png

• Like Like x 3
  6. Ted Hough

Ted Hough Pro Driver

The speed trap data from the races I normally do on Wednesdays with a different league in this car has produced quite a lot of interesting data on the F1/F2 cars, which have different wing setups available to them.

There are for sure some strong differences between them, as I pointed out.

Ken has written to me indicating that he feels personally insulted by the way I spoke to him, and given me an administrative warning.

So I'd like to apologize that he interpreted what I said in that way: I was trying to simply point out the differences between cars and the fact that it would make a difference to the drivers' results and performances to make sure they know which "Setup" for the wings they felt comfortable with.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Maddie Shepherd

Maddie Shepherd Pro Driver

Just recording the replay with OBS :)

8. Gert-Jan van Osch

In my opinion it is not the case who is right or wrong... You can either look at the way you want, if you have this knowledge over others, you can also use it to your advantage... In my opinion the rules are that these two cars are available to anyone and each one should decide what suits him or her the best and test between Spark and Eve and make the choice you prefer.

Regarding the way you post things here you could be more political in my opinion.. e.g. your response to the crash I had with Mac of the road and Jos his hay ride was a little offensive. We all like to race and not intent to drive each other of the road..., but these incidents happen unfortunately. Everybody is passionate about racing at SRO. If you look that the persons participate are from different generations and parts of the world, I find it great that we all share same the "sim" racing passion.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ted Hough

Ted Hough Pro Driver

I don't intend to offend people. Just point out when they've clearly done something wrong and can improve.

At the end of the day, I care about clean racing. And when people can't race wheel to wheel cleanly, I'll point it out. There's nothing wrong with that.

"It was an accident" Isn't an excuse when you look at how many accidents have been happening in this series so far. It needs to stop at some point and trying to not offend people won't improve the driving standards. I don't care if somebody did it on accident - I care that they get punished or coached so they don't do it again.

I guess it comes off as me being angry, but I'm not, I'm just disappointed, I guess? I want things to get better and more people to have clean races so they can race other people for fun. I don't think having a 50%+ DNF rate is fun.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Gert-Jan van Osch

Hi Ted, I agree and understand what you are saying. I would like to see this too, but this is not something that happens overnight in this series where drive 3 different cars every two weeks on the most bumpy track at very high speeds and obstacles can thrown on track... I agree with your comment that people should get penalties if they do not comply to the regulations. I think it is inevitable that accidents happen when people are racing and take too much risk and on hindside it can all be avoided and I think everybody should analyse and learn from what happened. I think everybody agrees the DNF rate is not acceptable and I hope that it will go better in the 2nd round we race these cars...

I think if you can turn your dissapointment into positive critisism it will come over much better and will be much more appreciated by the community.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Neil Wood

Neil Wood Pro Driver Donator

I never had a lag spike in VR recently and forgot how jarring it was. I was pleased with myself that I slowed down and kept to the left but the game had other ideas and merged our cars up the hill!!

When you see a car flying up the bank ahead and you are unsure where it would land, makes you slow down a bit.... especially in VR :)

I could see Ken in the mirrors as I had lost momentum but had no idea another car was closely following (virtual mirrors are jarring in VR). At the point of turn in I was already looking at the apex for the fast left hander, I was not looking in my mirror for another car as I didn't think someone was silly enough to pass on that corner with only room for 1 car. I wouldn't have been able to slow to let you up the inside at that late stage. Even my spotter only told me a car was there are I turned in and I tried keeping as wide as I could, but there just wasn't room for 2 cars in that corner. Plenty of straights at Spa, you would have got passed if faster later in the lap. Hindsight is always 20:20 though of course.

I did enjoy the battles we had though, while they lasted.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Neil Wood

I blew passed Caitlin on the straight like she was standing still.... so I think there is a little drag there.

13. Gert-Jan van Osch

I read S397 downgraded their release due to new bugs they introduced over the weekend, probably that caused the warping and lag spikes you observed...

14. Neil Wood

Not unless we time travelled.... we were on the old build when we raced on Sunday.

15. Martyn McClune

Martyn McClune Pro Driver

Im out of this series now think im hanging up my wheel for now . Thanks for the fun though