rFactor 2 Round 2 Goodwood - Sat Oct 7, 2023

Discussion in 'USF2000 Awesome Club Track Series Closed' started by John vd Geest, Aug 28, 2023.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

GOODWOOD.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

WELCOME TO ROUND 2 GOODWOOD

Goodwood Circuit is a historic venue for both two- and four-wheeled motorsport in the United Kingdom. The 2.367-mile (3.809 km) circuit is situated near Chichester, West Sussex, close to the south coast of England, on the estate of Goodwood House, and completely encircles Chichester/Goodwood Airport. This is the racing circuit dating from 1948, not to be confused with the separate hillclimb course located at Goodwood House and first used in 1936.

F1 car breaks Goodwood record

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2023
  2. Andy Tomlinson

Andy Tomlinson Pro Driver

Had too unregister for this one as will be up at Oulton Park for an event.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. John vd Geest

Server is up 2.png

• Like Like x 2
  4. Johnny Gutierrez

Johnny Gutierrez Pro Driver

Forgot about the race. :( I'll unregister.

5. John vd Geest

Why? It will be fun for you to start from the back :)

6. John vd Geest

[​IMG]

Drivers briefing

1. All 6 events of this series will be broadcasted
    Broadcaster: Rob Milliken

2. Goodwood Conditions
    1) The race will start at 02:00 PM (in-game time of course)
    2) Time acceleration is normal. Fuel and Tires are set to normal.
    3) Cut Track points are set to 10
    4) 100% damage
    5) This event has a Formation lap with a standing start

3. The use of the Esc. key in Qualification
    Use of the Esc key during Qualifying is the equivalent of stopping your car and getting out. This may be done only in your pit stall. There are very few exceptions to this rule. Here are the only two we will currently consider. These exceptions are subject to change at any time:
    1. You run out of fuel in pit lane before reaching your pit stall.
    2. You sustain damage to your car as a result of another driver and cannot make it back to your pit stall. You must prove your qualifying session was wrecked by another driver and that you made an attempt to return to pit lane.

If you use the Esc key in any location other than your pit stall, your Qualifying session is over and you may not return to the track.

6. You can find the password for the race server on the Goodwood event page.

7. You can find the server by first typing sro

8. Unregistering in time if you can't make it.

9. Please use the
    same name in the rFactor 2 game as on our signup list or it won't match in our automated result processing.

10. If you plan to PROTEST another driver, you have to wait 24 hours counting from the end of the race.
    Any protest filed before that time will be viewed as not received. You can find the rules about submitting a protest here.

Last but not least ... SIMRACINGONLINE wishes you a great race!

If you have questions, please ask them below.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Kiril Kirilov

Kiril Kirilov Pro Driver

First of all, I'm glad I didn't get a disconnect during the race. I don't think @Phil Brown was lucky enogh with that... A shame because he was up with us on pace. Top 5 were pretty evenly matched. Unfortunately, I don't know exactly what happened to @Thomas Hölzl. I made a mistake before the Lavant Straigt and knew I would lose two places. I saw both in the right mirror and wanted to stay on the left. The next moment I felt a hit on the back :confused: I saw briefly on the broadcast that Thomas moved to the left...
    I really enjoyed the close battles with Robin, Toni and John. After Robin made the mistake, the team up front took a very deserved 1,2. Very well done guys!

• Like Like x 3
  8. Robin Taylor

Robin Taylor Pro Driver Donator

Good race all. Some good battles, I finally let the pressure get to me though.. went wide at T1 and the grass just took me, 9th and 2 laps down after a long pit stop, grats @Toni Talvitie and grats to all that finished.

• Like Like x 2
    • Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 2
  9. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

I unsigned from this as we got house full of kids for the weekend.
    Towards the evening decided to install the track and join server when we get the little ones to bed.
    Wasnt prepared ( well usually im not anyhow ) but had good 90 minutes to practice.
    Fun event where, as positions changed, wanted to be carefull. @Robin Taylor fought well and many times just didnt want to take any risks. So again pressure pressure pressure and wait for moment. Even rho it does brake your driving little when following someone.
    G.E.A.R. had some good pace today!

• Like Like x 2
  10. John vd Geest

In practice I used a quick made setup that was focused on low downforce because of all the long straights and didn't do any better than 1.14 low.
    5 minutes before qual my teammate Toni T. gave me his setup that was heavily focused on cornering. Had to get used to it pretty quick, because it was a little snappy, but pretty fast all around with very good traction out of the corner.

In the race I was a bit lucky with guys making mistakes in front of me, but once I got to P2 the fun began. Kiril, who had made a mistake and fallen behind me, was much quicker on the straights and I had to focus on the corners where I was quicker. So as long as I had a bit of a gap coming out of the corners, I was fine to the next corner, but Kiril came pretty close a number of times. Exciting stuff :)
    Grats to Toni for the win. Another flawless display of racecraft :cool:

Thanks to Rob Milliken for the Broadcast. It's really fun to watch afterwards. Well done!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Thomas Hölzl

Thomas Hölzl Pro Driver

Congratulations to the podium! Unfortunately, I couldn't fight for a place in the top 3 in the end because I ended up in the wall after a misunderstanding with @Kiril Kirilov. After that I could only do damage control because my front wing was broken! I hope things go better in two weeks!

• Like Like x 3
  12. Neil Wood

Neil Wood Pro Driver Donator

Stream VOD

I saw this race as possibly being a draft fest, only a couple of places to defend from faster cars and that dreaded chicane!!

When I went to the grid I got the shock of my life as it said I had a stop/go for exiting the pits under red! I checked my HUD and it just seemed to be a bug with no penalty....PHEW! We were lining up on a tight packed grid, three abreast so I ended up on the 3rd row in 7th. I was very conscious that IF I got a good start I would have nowhere to go.

Thankfully my start was crappy and I just held my line up to T1, hoping that no one made it 3 wide. I seemed to be all over the gearbox of @Kai Syvertsen in the opening couple of laps and I was able to get a run up the inside into Woodcote corner. I don't know if our wheels interlocked or I got a tap on the side but it made the car go forwards instead of around the corner. I was able to hold onto it and get it on track before the chicane.

Next lap, same corner I got a run up the inside and I was through. Kai stayed close for the entire lap and got a run on me up to Woodcote. Looks like they forgot there was a corner coming up and being tucked up under my rear wing unsighted. They locked up and narrowly missed my rear and went off, shame.

The lead pack were edging away and now @Karl Strouhal was keeping me honest never being more than 2 seconds behind. I figured this would be who made the least mistakes, the gap would ping pong up and down throughout the race. Other people's mistakes worked to my advantage and ending up in 4th from 7th by only passing one car is pretty good. 4th and 5th for Dr Pepper Fuelled Motorsports is awesome!!

Don't think I have ever been to Leipzig Porsche, so that should be an adventure!

@John vd Geest Is the car listed in the results wrong? We aren't running the USF-17, this is a USF2000 car? If there is a download for the replay that would be lovely thanks :)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1
  13. John vd Geest

LOL! :p

14. John vd Geest

It's the same for Townsville. The mod is listed as USF2000 from 2016. Must be an internal thing in the mod. Doesn't matter, it's only on the result list.

Replay is uploaded on the event page.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2023
  15. Karl Strouhal

Karl Strouhal Pro Driver

That was a very fun race @Neil Wood and I was doing my best to stay with you and have a clean, error free race. I know you've seen me make plenty of mistakes, so I was pleased by trying to learn from you and drive within my own pace and get to the finish without a crash or spin. Unfortunately I miscalculated and forgot to allow enough fuel to include the pace lap and had to do a splash and dash to be able to complete the last lap which cost me a penalty for speeding entering pit lane. I still finished 5th on the track but was dropped back to 7th due to the penalty I incurred. Live and learn, I will use this lesson so I wont be running out of fuel on anymore races. looking forward to the rest of both open wheel series as I just put in for PTO from work so I can make all the Tuesday USF Pro series races. :cool::D:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1
  16. Neil Wood

Neil Wood Pro Driver Donator

Don't learn my bad habits though :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. Ben Summers

Ben Summers Pro Driver

I had a really fun race, battling for a lot of the race with Julian, My Race POV is below :)

• Like Like x 4
  18. Julian Care

Julian Care Pro Driver

I enjoyed it too. That chicane is brutal though - punishes you for being greedy.
    I had a terrible first lap, then just concentrated on having a clean race. The tyres felt good until the last couple of laps, with no efforts of tyre management!
    Sounds like the next track will be new to everyone, which I like!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

After checking our system it looks like the USF2000 car model was originally setup 3 yrs ago as a Tatuus USF-17 rather than USF2000. The actual car description from Steam identifies it as:
    The 2016 spec USF2000 uses Van Diemen/Elan DP08 chassis and is powered by Mazda's MZR 2 liter, 4 cylinder DOHC engine with fuel-injectors, tuned by Elite Engines to 170 hp thus capable of achieving a top speed of about 150 mph.

Rather than change it now after two previous series which might screw the records, we'll leave it as it is.

20. Julian Care

Julian Care Pro Driver

Great angle on our race! You were considerably quicker than me. Well done for not running into the back of me - I didn't realise my braking was so erratic with all those lock-ups!
    I just used my townsville setup, I should spend a bit more time tweaking the car for the next race.