Assetto Corsa Comp Round 2 kyalami_2019

Discussion in 'Tuesday Night ACC Porsche Cup Closed' started by Rob Milliken, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson Pro Driver

That didn’t go as well as I hoped, my setup just wasn’t good enough :(
    Had a good clean start and picked my way past a couple of spinners to run 6th for quite a while whilst Andy W challenged from behind. Then Gavino and Ruskus joined him and I really started to feel the pressure! :eek: Eventually I got an oversteer exit out the final corner and all 3 blasted past. Didn’t mind as know they are way quicker. Then Matteo and Simon showed up as it rained and I enjoyed a few laps tussling with Simon, but he got by under braking in crocodiles. Didn’t have much confidence in the wet late in the race and finished a disappointing 11th.
    Some serious pace in this championship, well done Tim and podium :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Matteo Santini

Matteo Santini Pro Driver

A good result considering that a rocket destroyed my car at the end of lap 1, so I had to restart my race by position n.24
    I don't want to be polemic, but that mistake was hardly comprehensible, as it wasn't a divebomb, was simply a "no brake at all". I'm not saying that you should train like a mad, but AT LEAST, before to do a race, you should know if the next corner turns left or right, and the braking zones. You can't simply join the server 10 mins before the race start if you are not confident with the track.

Apart from that early bombing, my race was pretty intense all along the entire distance, as I had recovered 18 positions after the incident. All the fights were very intense and very clean, with some great respect showed by the drivers during our fights. So, in the end the race was funny.

Grats to Tim, Henri and Janne that completed the podium. See you at Laguna :)

P.S Do someone have a replay of the race?? Can you post it please?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Björn Johansson

Björn Johansson Pro Driver Donator

Congrats to all podium players and thank you admins for all the fun.
    My first race with those "wild thing´s" and in light rain also:eek:
    you guy´s really know how stress me ;)
    Didn´t really know how much it would affect the drive in rain even though it was light.
    So it was some trail/error to find out if /how much you dare to push.
    Me and "smooth driving" never thought it would come to that:confused: :D

Overall a good race exept for my 2 misstakes nr 1 at the end off lap 4,
    with Mr Santini closing in on me a lost rear grip in last hairpin
    got a oversteer and touched he´s rear right wheel, got a spin.
    And the car after me couldn´t avoid me. very sorry for that to all
    involved.:( :oops: Nr 2 was in the rain lap 12 something got a good slide
    out off track at hairpin at top off the hill. But that didn´t affect others
    apart from Aslan and Galluzzi passed me.

Thank you Mark ! I couldn´t use it completely , but it was a good starting point .

• Like Like x 2
  4. Bill Grewcock

Bill Grewcock Pro Driver

Finishing in P12 in round 1 meant that I was on pole for Kyalami .... :eek: ... very nervous in unfamiliar territory. The formation widget was easy to follow for the start and I managed to retain P1 into the first turn. This lasted for about half a lap and then I was demoted to P2. A couple of laps later I didn't get first gear for T1 so I ran wide and suddenly I was down to P4. I gradually drifted back until I was in P9 at the chequered flag, at least I won't be at the front for the next round :).
    Congrats to the guys on the podium; thanks to Eike for a very entertaining broadcast and thanks also to Rob for putting this series together :cool:

• Like Like x 4
  5. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson Pro Driver

Ha, i meant to say after the race that the setup must have suited you very well ! Good result :) Really wish i had stuck with that setup too but found a supposedly pro setup just before the race and used that instead, but it was fairly useless in my hands with too soft a front end, especially once the tyre temps dropped in the cold wet weather. Odd thing was i could pump in 45's in pre-race practise but then stuck firmly in the 46's during the race :(

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson Pro Driver

Love the broadcast, always great to watch the racing again :cool:
    and lol, 'Muttram a middle of the road runner' dont think the commentator knows you too well Tim :D

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

Great race for me - falling off at Brands obviously helped me as I started further forward than I probably should have.
    This was a major advantage as while the fast boys were falling over each other and trying to work up the order I only had a few cars to pass.
    I managed a stonking start and gained 5th off the line, 4th was gained in the (unbelievably civilised) hustle of T1, 3rd was gained 2 corners later into Barbecue Bend with a really nice opportunistic dive up the inside of Janne ( Probably my favourite pass of the race :D ) and I reached P2 a lap or 2 later with a late manoeuvre into T1 against Bill - Helped I see by his error.

After that I made good progress until the rains came aside from a very sketchy moment through the Esses where I lost the back quite badly on both the Left and right turns :eek: That error cost me over a second and cooked the rears somewhat, which in tern slowed me for a few laps while they cooled off and allowed Janne and Henri to pull me in more than I wanted.

After the rains came and Simone had his spin I found myself in the lead, but my setup was intended for dry use and had a very loose rear end under lift off situations. As a result I was driving scared for the last 10 minutes knowing that all it would take is a tiny error into a braking zone or Sunset and I was a goner.
    Several laps of playing with my brake bias finally gave me back some confidence and I actually pulled a little gap on Janne before Henri got him.

I think that with another 1 or 2 laps I would have been in big trouble, so the 30 minutes didn't come a second too soon for me!

I also love the shear number of cars we had on track for this, and the comparative lack of stupid mistakes for such a big grid - entering a corner like Crowthorne in 4/5th position with 20+ cars 4 and even 5 wide behind me is a worryingly high probability of being rear-ended, yet I think over half a lap occurred before any incidents happened - there was some seriously mature racing going on last night - well done all!

I've dropped some screenshots from the first lap below (So dark!) which nicely show how compact the field was :cool:

Pity about my 'qualifying' for next week though!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  8. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

I generally suck in modern cars, so to be honest I'm actually surprised at how well I'm actually doing here - it may be the lack of traction control that's working in my favour....
    If we get a full wet race I might find out, as in theory I'll become 'faster' again while conditions are terrible and I have the right setup to cope.
    I.E. not last nights setup as that doesn't drift very nicely at all!

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Matteo Santini

@Tim Muttram did you save a replay of the race? Can you post it on the forum please?

Thank you

• Like Like x 1
  10. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams Pro Driver

• Like Like x 1
  11. Matteo Santini

Thanks Andrew :)

I don't get how to file a race protest for the incident with me involved. Can someone help me please?

Thanks in advance

12. Andrew Williams

• Like Like x 2
  13. Andrew Williams

I was confused how Henri, starting 11 places behind me, was past me after 3 corners.
    I did drop 2 places on the start it seems, but Henri cross the start line in 15th rather than 20th

What happened to the other guys? (I know Norman posted about not following widget as there was another car there)

20201021124424_1.jpg

Looking at the size of the gap beween Henri and Santini above, I'd assume Henri was around the correct position, just 5 cars missing between.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

I think the game will only penalise you for being too far forward/too fast before the green lights.
    If the missing cars had held back rather than following the widget and driving back up the field then neither they or Henri would be punished unless they sped in the final stage before green.

• Informative Informative x 2
  15. Henri Miettinen

Henri Miettinen Pro Driver

Some of the cars in front of me stayed put in place for a very long time after the game already show I should go, and I didn't want penalty for that, so I overtake those guys and I did go my green area.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

Its in rules..
    Time stamp.
    What rule you think has been violated.
    Drivers involved.
    Event it happened in.
    Something like that but check the how to file a protest part. If do something wrong ..might not get reviewed.
    Same happened to me so interesting to see wasit same driver

• Like Like x 1
  17. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

18. Matteo Santini

About the weird happenings at the start I watched again the replay and I noticed that were a couple of "holes" on the grid.

I don't know if that mess is a matter related to the no shows signed on the entry list, but this should be tested, unless we want another situation like this.

Position on the entry list were set as follows:
    - Oli Bateson P13
    - Flaviu Bozga P14
    - Taner Selvi P15 (Taner Selvi is a no show at the event). His place, as you can see by the screenshot, was empty [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    - Wenham P16
    - Hildebrandt P17
    - Gutierrez P18 (Was not signed up for the event, so he must have been removed from the entry list, as there are no holes on the grid.)
    - Milliken P19
    - Bruce P20
    - Aslan P21
    - Miettinen P22
    - Abrunhosa P23 (No show at the event) His place is empty [​IMG][​IMG]

That said, I know by experience that, before the race (with no entry list set on the server), if some driver don't get on the grid before the countdown is over (Like Selvi and Abrunhosa), once you move from your stall, the widget will ask to the people behind them to move to another position, or to go left or right, changing your position on the grid. That could have caused the mess at the start.

I'm available to do an experiment that needs some collaboration by at least 4 or 5 drivers to be put on the entry list, and see what happens if someone that is signed on the entry list don't get on the track before the countdown is over. It's just an experiment to see if a no show will cause these issues at the widget managment of grid positioning every time we will race, and to have better guidlines for the next races.

I hope to have been clear in my explanations

See you

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  19. Andrew Williams

I believe (maybe incorrectly) that if there are gaps in the grid, then the cars behind would move up a spot once the formation begins.
    So if there are 20 cars on the entry list, but car 12 does not turn up, then cars 13 to 20 would need to swap sides during the formation as pointed out by the widget

If car 12 and also car 16 didn't show, then cars 13 thru 15 would need to swap sides as per widget, cars 17 thru 20 would say the same side, though move forward a place.

End of the day, just follow the widget and completely ignore everybody around you until you are near the start line.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

Johnny un registered day before the event ,I move him to last position 28th and everyone behind him I moved up 1 then someone else no showed & the game also moved us all up 1 .
    I went from 19th originally, to 18th after I edited the entrylist ,& to 17th after one of the 2 no shows .. the only gaps I saw were when we started to roll and a few drivers did not move & cars behind ghosted threw them (as they should following the widget) ..