Round 2 | Le Mans

Discussion in 'G.E.A.R. Multiclass Endurance Closed' started by John vd Geest, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Sorry guys, one technical problem after another. Just wasn't my evening!

No wheel, then no pedals, then a wheel but no FFB, nightmare....

Hope you all have fun anyway :)

2. Pablo Finotti

Pablo Finotti Pro Driver

I went out of fuel inside the pitlane... waited for the tem to pull my car, like rF1, but nothing. That was a shame, after the initial (wrong) tyre choice, pitting that lap and wearing wets would put me back in contention, especially because my rain pace was much better than what I could show on dry track.

3. Lance Link

Lance Link Pro Driver

Screen went black on me again then a crash. rf2 hates me.

4. Bart Slobodzian

Bart Slobodzian Pro Driver

Wow what race, it just looked so real in the wet I had to convince myself it was still a game. i really cant wait for new hardware double shiftin really screwed me twice in that race. Had a couple of kisses with the walls the first one I had to fix the second time I ignored which paid dividends for a second place finish. Fuel only had 5 litres left ran most of the race in qualification mix.
    Bad luck Lance you would of had first, the game crashed on me twice just before qualifying.

• Like Like x 2
  5. John Melichar

John Melichar Pro Driver

Oh man, so unlucky. You started on softs right? That was the way to go, I tried to push my wet tyres to the next pit stop, so I would not need an additional fuel stop but I was loosing way too much time. Then when I got my Slicks on, soon after it started to rain!
    Crew Chief also screwed me over bad, he kept telling me that the people in front of me just put on Softs tyres so I figured I will also try to continue with my Slicks and see how it goes. Well, it did not stop raining, it just got worse :rolleyes:. I then had contact with a lapped GTE car. Tried to slow it down but I pumped into the back of a Porsche at the Indianapolis section. Sorry for that.
    After the next pit stop and the additional drive through I took because of the incident with the lapped car I was just too far back to do anything.
    Well, the one time I actually made my self a pit strategy... nothing worked out as I hoped and everything was the other way around as I thought it would happen. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    • Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1
  6. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

I saw on the replay that I overtook Toni Talvitie at the start. Wasn't even aware of it. Wonder why he didn't overtook me back on the formationlap.
    Anyway, sorry Toni, my mistake. Good thing you finished in front of me :)

Start was oke, even got first place for a while. Made some stupid mistakes a few times and spun twice in the last chicane.
    Short before the end I got a drive through for cutting the track and lost third position and ended up 5th after my stop and go. Tip of the day ... don't double stint your rain tires. I was driving on ice the whole second stint on them.

Punted a Porsche because I couldn't really see where he was in the spray. Did my drive through the lap after.
    Didn't know who it was, but sorry for that. My bad.

This is my report in short:
    1 incorrect overake at the start
    3 big spins (no repairs done)
    1 stop & go for cutting (I'm sure I'm not the only one who understeerd of the track a few times in the rain LOL)
    1 drive through for punting

Fun race. Grats to the winners and all who dared to do this event!
    Next !!

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Simon Marshall

Simon Marshall Pro Driver

I had serious hardware issues - despite have a decent PC and a fresh install my framerate at the end was close to about 10fps and everything was happening about 0.5 seconds after me making the inputs. Porsche curves seemed the worst for me and I would black screen in rift for about 0.5 - 1 second probably about 50 times and was pure luck that I never went into a wall. I had to just creep round to finish - far from fun for me but I was trying to not ruin anyone else's race, and let people through

8. Lance Link

Lance Link Pro Driver

I think I found the fix for my disconnects. Had to roll back oculus drivers, change windows power setting and move my oculus and sensor to different usb panels. I guess this is a common issue with newer drivers since windows update.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bart Slobodzian

Try a clean install of nVidia drivers using DDU to remove all old drivers and files in safe mode.
    Going to look in to rift drivers next perhaps do a clean install.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bart Slobodzian

BTW what happen to tonights race stream its just a black screen. Everyones having hardware problems

11. John vd Geest

I think it's still uploading on YouTube. Will be a big file with 2,4 hours and Qual.

12. Bart Slobodzian

Oh good stuff, I thought it was knackered.

13. Mark Hightree

Mark Hightree Administrator Staff Member Donator

Good times is all I can think of right now. Most intense racing I have ever experienced. Had some good position changes with Johnny but he is too good in the rain for me to compete with. Congrats to all who finished. Great driving from all P2 drivers who passed me. I can't think of anything bad happening. The only incident I had was the contact with Cody. Sorry man, we were side by side going through Mulsanne and had the slight contact. You got turned around and I felt bad about that. I turned myself around a few times at Indy. That turn caused most of my issues today. Will miss Silverstone which is a major bummer. See ya all at COTA. Great series John and appreciate all the work you are doing. :)

• Like Like x 3
  14. Cody Eby

Cody Eby Pro Driver

Well, what can I say? My lack of any practicing made itself quite apparent this race. I made the right choice and started on mediums, although the first 5-6 laps were kind of dicey and kept me on the edge of my seat until a dry line appeared. I was doing decent enough until my kids burst in my room and made me lose focus, causing some good contact with a wall. I stayed out despite some damage effecting my lap times until they burst in yet again causing me to crash in to a wall again. After my pit to repair and refuel things went much smoother until the rain decided to come back. All in all I was satisfied with my performance considering I had about an hour of track time prior to joining the lobby today.

I can assure you guys I will be far more prepared for Silverstone. The past few weeks have been extremely busy for me and I intended to practice in the days before the race but life happens and I had family matters to attend to which obviously trumped practicing for the race.

Not to worry Mark. It was an honest racing incident. I wasn't sure if anyone was at fault or not but figured it was just a good old honest incident. It almost felt like we kind of stuck together when we made contact but I lost sight of you and then I was facing the opposite direction. Could have happened to anyone and I'm just glad it didn't result in a bad crash for anyone. Going in to the Porsche curves I missed the braking point and had to avoid the car ahead of me as to not wreck us both and went straight in to a wall. Between those two incidents my hopes of finishing in the top 5 was clearly just a dream. I ended up finishing in 8th place, just one spot behind my quali position and still in the top 10 so I will take it and try come back strong for Silverstone.

Great job to all podium finishers and well done to all drivers who finished the race. I feel very bad for those who ran in to technical difficulties. Looking forward to the next one!!

• Like Like x 3
  15. Jerry Chen

Jerry Chen Pro Driver

That was very fun, I think I needed more rear wing, it was like driving a rally car in the snow/ice of Sweden. Unfortunately I did not live up to my paint job's reputation, I did not magically inherit any of Michael Christensen's immense speed. No Danish blood running through my veins apparently. :D

Started on wets. Had good fun with Johnny for several laps, then gained some track position when Mark had a small off at the Ford chicanes.
    A few laps later, as the track started to dry out, my rear wets started to heat up. Started weaving off line to find water to keep the wets from heating up. That was very cool experience, watching the temps shoot up as I squirm around putting the power down on corner exits, then cooling them off by finding water off line. Coming out of Tetre Rouge, got a little too throttle happy and had a half spin and nosed it into the guardrail.

Pitted a few laps later and lost a bunch of time fixing the front splitter. Put on softs and went off to just click off the laps.
    Then a few laps later got a disco at Indianapolis.
    Joined back into the race 2 laps down, looks like it reloads the same setup you started the race with, and doesn't let you change anything except tires in the in car pit menu. So even though it was drying track, i had wets on. Wanted to add some wing but it wouldn't let me change wing setting or change fuel strategy. So I just started lapping in the dry track on the wets and tried to keep them cool. Couple laps later it started pouring buckets. Seems like wets don't last very long even in the wet before they start to get degraded. Used them up after 10 laps and got all greasy in the rear end again. Grabbed another set of wets on the last stop.
    Managed to catch a couple cars with about 5 mins left and grab a lap back, that was very fun, pushing the car with the track basically flooded. Lots of counter steer in the braking zones and a couple of "oh crap" moments braking for Mulsanne.

Some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
  16. John Melichar

John Melichar Pro Driver

By the way, this was the longest race I ever raced, it wasn't that bad. :cool:

One thing that was really annoying was all the spray inside the car. It looked so bad in VR.

I posted this question a few days ago on the official studio397 forums but no one answered, so I will try here. I thought they fixed the spray inside the cockpits? Or does everyone get it?
    I watched onboards of people streaming and they don't have spray inside.

17. John vd Geest

Cool stuff Jerry. Good report.

18. John vd Geest

Maybe they turn the visual rain / spray off in the config file?

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. John Melichar

John Melichar Pro Driver

Maybe. But I take from your answer that you and everybody gets spray inside the cockpit?

20. Jens Roos

Jens Roos Pro Driver

On triples, no rain in cockpit here, it was some time ago when that was an issue?