Round 2 | Le Mans

Discussion in 'G.E.A.R. Multiclass Endurance Closed' started by John vd Geest, Jul 14, 2018.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

No, I'm not driving with VR but on monitor and have everything on with no problems.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

Qualy : This didn't go well for me. Only just got a flying lap in and I was on a better lap when a mistake at Indianapolis put paid to that. So 9th in class was all I could do.

Race: Sitting on the grid it looked like the rain had stopped and the track was dry. Did I miss something? So I started on a set of dry tyres. As soon as we started however the rain suddenly started. So I had to pit on the formation lap to put wet tyres on. So flat last. The race didn't get any better. I pitted 6 times. At one point I span at Indianapolis and on re-joining the track I got a Stop/Go penalty just to kick me whilst I was down. Served the penalty and for some reason I got another Stop/Go penalty or the first one didn't clear. Not sure why maybe a bug but this meant my mood took a turn for the worst. That escape button never felt more tempting. Kept with it and I span and span again then span and span some more. Lost count on how many spins I did. Why didn't I press the Escape button. By the time I finished my body was screaming with pain (I suffer from Fibromyalgia), this race was too long for me I could barely walk afterwards. Can't say I enjoyed this race. Had very little practice because I had to rebuild my rig during the week (driver excuse #34) so not really surprised that I was not prepared for the rain. I think S397 has to do a lot of work to improve the rain effects in this game. Some reflections were really weird. At one point I was convinced there was a car just ahead of me in the spray and I slowed as it was in the middle of the track. Turned out to be the reflection of the advertising signs that stretch over the track. After all that I finished 9th in class. Where did I start oh! 9th. All that to get nowhere. Still at least I finished one of the most difficult races I've ever driven in

Congratulations to the winners a very well deserved victory :)
    Congratulations to everyone who finished :)
    Commiserations to those that didn't finish :(

• Like Like x 2
  3. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

Im running A10 with integrated graohics so getting around the track with that is a survival and having half a race damaged front that made car snappy soecially on wet made it difficult.

Q was flying on last try but hit traffic.
    R wrong tyres ay start..damaged car..fuel too little filled at last stop.
    Considering those..4th not too bad. Gutted a bit by losing podium for 8 liters of fuel.

And John...no probleemo

4. Joseph Wright

Joseph Wright Pro Driver Broadcaster

Lap 1: Drive Through.
    Lap 2: Disconnect.
    Lap 3: Game Crash.
    Lap 17?: Game Crash.
    Lap 17: Out of fuel after running the entire lap on pit limiter and coasting for most of it, to end up just 1 turn away from pits.

I tried to keep racing, but in the end, the game had enough of me.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Nuno Rodrigues

Nuno Rodrigues Pro Driver

How, that was one of those races.
    @Paul Anstey are u sure you didnt enter the pit exceeding velocity limits? And u know if u get a penalty, if you go to pits and do a pitstop (for tires or fuel) it doesnt count as penalty pit? But im sure theres someone here beter then me to help you ;-)

Qualify not so bad.
    Race what a journey. Nice start but then i hit the wall and damage car. The wheel got sideways but i decide to continue that way. Driving in those conditions and with rain and soon soon i was at the back of the pack.
    Fortunatly it stoped ranining so did pit and took care of damage. Everything good now. Hit the gas and did a good pace race.
    Later on, while beeing undertaken by LMP, a lose control and slide it to the wall again (my fault, despite some LMP´s had some agressive attitudes, nothing too bad ok?), and there it was the wheel again
    Last laps were counting fuel as racing was coming to the end.
    Then last lap and i needed 6 more liters of fuel.... lost one position pitting.
    Great fun, althoug the mistakes.
    Sorry to those that i scared but rain and wheel damage is not a good combo.
    Grats to winner and all that manage to finish
    Can we race next sunday again???? 15 days is too looooong till next race :))))

6. John Melichar

John Melichar Pro Driver

Still no video available from the stream.
    Was there a stream with commentators actually?

7. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Sadly, our regular streamer/broadcaster Matheus Marçal had to go to the hospital yesterday and couldn't be there to take care of things.
    That left Alex Skinner, our 1st commentator, to do it all alone. Things didn't go well on the technical side and he couldn't fix it.
    Alex normally only does commentating and doesn't handle the camera's and sound. It's a shame, but understandable. He did the best he could, but it didn't work.
    Let's hope Matheus makes a quick recovery, so that he can be with us again in 2 weeks time.

• Like Like x 7
  8. Lance Link

Lance Link Pro Driver

John, no issues with rain in car for me in oculus.

9. John Melichar

John Melichar Pro Driver

Very strange. Thanks for the info.

10. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

I only got the one message telling me about the Stop/Go Penalty for cutting the track. As I understand it if I pit when I have a penalty then I serve the penalty and that what happened. I stopped for a 10 second stop with no fuel added and no tyres changed. Not sure whether you have the option to say don't serve the penalty I want fuel and tyres and then serve the penalty on a subsequent lap. I will have to have a look at the log of the race and see whether I missed the message about the penalty. It's possible as you say I got it for speeding in the pitlane :)

• Like Like x 2
  11. Lance Link

Lance Link Pro Driver

The start of race was very interesting. It thought I made the wrong call going out on Meds to start the race. I had nothing for the other guys the first 3 or 4 laps. Fell back to 3rd and was lucky to be there. Once the dry line came everything flipped around. Good clean driving and the lapped traffic was very respectful to lapping cars. I hope no one got involved with my car when I went dark. I still had sound for about 10 sec and sounded like a bad accident but I was going into chicane so I figured I hit the tires.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

I'll have a hunt around on the S397 blogs but the whole "rain getting into the cockpit" problem was I believe an issue with the RF2 graphics engine and the team had to figure out a way to get round it.

They completely reworked the rain effects and redid the wet weather physics.

I believe on the official content they put false mesh layers within the models as a way of stopping the spray being visible.

Not sure if these posts will help anyone.

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/rain-update-solved.58867/

https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/latest-release-1109-rain-effects-and-more.58675/

13. Jerry Chen

Jerry Chen Pro Driver

Ken/Nigel/Mark, for the rejoin setting on the server, how is it setup here at SRO?
    I believe there are 2 options, "fresh car" or "same state", wanted to check what it is for SRO servers.
    I reported my issue at s397 forum and wanted to check how the SRO server have that setting.

14. Joseph Wright

Joseph Wright Pro Driver Broadcaster

I believe same state, which is why I had the fuel issues after my game crash. I had enough fuel to complete the final lap , but with the resetting me back to pit lane, I then failed to have enough fuel to head around a full lap.

I also had retained the damage I had picked up.

15. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

All our rF2 servers are set with:
    "Race Rejoin":3,
    "Race Rejoin#":"Whether disconnected players can rejoin a race session: 0=no 1=yes with fresh vehicle 2=yes with vehicle in same physical condition 3=yes including setup",

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jerry Chen

Jerry Chen Pro Driver

Thx Ken. I'm wondering if it should be changed to 2 instead. With 3, I wasn't able to change fuel or wing settings for my next pit stop. Which seems counter productive.

When you rejoin, you lose the lap you were driving when disco. Then it usually takes a couple minutes to rejoin. So by the time you are back on the server you've lost at least 2 laps.

To then prevent setup changes as well on top of that seems wrong.

Also the problem with 3 is that it doesn't bring you back with the setup that was on the car at the time of disco. It loads the default setup you have set for the track. That seems like a bug and I have reported that with s397.

17. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

We''ll have to test those settings to see what happens

I think that's just the outcome of the Rejoin functionality provided in rF2 by ISI. Either have Rejoin and bite the bullet or not.

I'm guessing that rF2 multiplayer code is not able to dynamically keep tabs/records of every car's setup changes during a race, that may have been done at a pit-stop, since setting it originally to your personal track default. So it can only reset it to that (or rF2 default) on a Rejoin. I'm not sure I would read that as a bug, but it will be interesting to see what response you get from S397.

18. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

Reason it is set to 3 and you lose laps so drivers don't deliberately leave the server and come back on to get a fresh car.
    We could set the server to give a time penalty instead so you would not be able to leave the pits until that time has counted down but thought the above option was better.
    I am not saying anyone member here at SRO would do that but in my many endurance races I have seen that has happened.
    Never come across this before.

When you rejoin the server your setup will still be there you have to reload it.

19. Bart Slobodzian

Bart Slobodzian Pro Driver

I don't get spray inside the cockpit of the 911 and I also use Oculus

• Like Like x 1
  20. John Melichar

John Melichar Pro Driver

Yea I figured that it is some bug on my end, however no one is able to tell me how to fix it. I will try to reinstall the cars again when I have time.