Round 2 Magny Cours GP - Sun Feb 2, 2020

Discussion in 'F1 1991 - Full Race Distance Closed' started by John vd Geest, Oct 22, 2019.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

1991 French Grand Prix

The 1991 French Grand Prix was a Formula One motor race held at Magny-Cours on 7 July 1991. It was the seventh race of the 1991 Formula One World Championship, and the first French Grand Prix to be held at Magny-Cours. The 72-lap race was won by Nigel Mansell, driving a Williams-Renault, with local driver Alain Prost second in a Ferrari and Ayrton Senna third in a McLaren-Honda.

The French Grand Prix had moved from the Circuit Paul Ricard near Marseille to the Circuit de Nevers Magny-Cours in the centre of France, to mixed reviews. There were no changes in the driver line-up, but the Footwork team had decided to abandon the disastrous Porsche V12 engine project in favour of a return to Ford engines, while Ferrari introduced a new car, the 643. In qualifying, local driver Alain Prost impressed and was set to score Ferrari's first pole position of the season, but in the dying minutes Riccardo Patrese in the Williams-Renault came through to pip the French driver to the pole. Championship leader Ayrton Senna spun on Olivier Grouillard's oil on his final qualifying attempt and had to settle for third alongside Nigel Mansell in the second Williams, with the rest of the top ten starting spots occupied by Gerhard Berger, Jean Alesi, Nelson Piquet, Roberto Moreno, Maurício Gugelmin, and the impressive Gianni Morbidelli in a Minardi. At the start Patrese made a disastrous start and dropped to 10th position on lap 1, so Prost led from Mansell, Senna, Berger, and Alesi, while Bertrand Gachot spun off on the first lap in his Jordan. Berger was the first of the big boys to go out when his engine failed on lap 6, his third consecutive DNF due to engine problems. Patrese started another recovery drive by passing both Piquet and Morbidelli in one fell swoop when Morbidelli botched an overtaking attempt, taking himself out of the running. At the front Mansell pressured Prost and on Lap 21 he made his move taking advantage of traffic to out-brake the French star going into the hairpin. Mansell slowly pulled away but problems at his first tyre stop dropped him back behind Prost. Mansell once again closed on Prost and the two battled it out until Mansell finally managed to take advantage of traffic, again, and took the lead on Lap 54 by this time outbraking Prost around the outside at the hairpin. Mansell pulled away and scored his first win of the season, Prost was second followed by Senna, Alesi, Patrese, and de Cesaris.

This was the 17th win of Mansell's career, thus breaking the record of Grand Prix wins by an English driver, previously held by Stirling Moss.

1991 Magny Cours GP

Last edited: Oct 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

The first win of my Microprose Grand Prix 1 Career, good memories! :)

....somehow I don't think that'll happen with this event though! lol :)

3. John vd Geest

Damn, that's an old game.
    That was my first F1 game aswell. Played it with a joystick LOL.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Gert-Jan van Osch

Gert-Jan van Osch Pro Driver

Mine too...

• Like Like x 2
  5. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Agreed my friend. The thing that still occurs to me nowadays is all the Grand Prix games have some features that took years for others to put into their sims, some still don’t have it even now. I think AI intelligence is something that all the Grand Prix games do incredible well from battling for positions to dealing with traffic.
    I always remember starting a race in the damp (GP2 I think it was) on slicks and watching the dry line form and then realizing the sky changed from grey to sunny blue. Amazing at the time and still something not all sims have.

Yeah I had Grand Prix 1 on my trusty Amiga. Bought an analogue joystick for it too. Ok that’s enough of my rambling! Lol :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

If you have gp2 manual, hell a book, that would still count as setupguide :)
    Did gp1 and when gp2 came out, played it until my eyes bled lol. Full champ with 90minutes.
    And on Magny Cours I finally beat my bro, who had pc and game, in that multiplayer :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. John vd Geest

Yeah guys, good times :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Gert-Jan van Osch

Gert-Jan van Osch Pro Driver

IMG_3778.jpg
    This brings back memories... It even had telemetry readings

• Like Like x 5
  9. Dino Paolini

Dino Paolini Pro Driver

Could we ban the use of q-tyres in the race-session for the rest of the series please? They suck out a lot of the fun ;( Worth a try atleast

10. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

I do kiinda agree. We should try to simulate right? In everycase im fine tho

11. John vd Geest

The issue is under investigation. If it's possible to ban the qualification tire from the race event, we will do so.

12. John vd Geest

Qualification tires are banned for the race-session.

We want to keep the series as close to real-life as possible. Therefore qualification tires are not allowed in race session.
    Through testing it was clear that you can run the qual tires for up to 25 minutes. We don't want to go down that road.

You can of course use them in the qualification session.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  13. Chris Melton

Chris Melton Pro Driver

When will the server be up for practice?

14. John vd Geest

Server is up.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

We aim to get the server online 48 hours before the race or earlier Chris depending on our schedule of races.

Nice to see you racing with us Chris.

16. Chris Melton

Chris Melton Pro Driver

Thanks and i appreciate it

17. Caitlin Penny

Caitlin Penny Pro Driver Media Group

Are we allowed to use quali tyres in the race?
    Edit: Wait, never mind. I see they've been banned now.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

19. Mark Hightree

Mark Hightree Administrator Staff Member Donator

Have to unregister for this one. Super bowl fun stuff has begun. Go Chiefs!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Paulo Rodrigues

Paulo Rodrigues Pro Driver

OUT of this one