Round 2 Magny Cours GP - Sun Feb 2, 2020

Discussion in 'F1 1991 - Full Race Distance Closed' started by John vd Geest, Oct 22, 2019.

1. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Hi, sorry I’m going to have to drop out of this one.

Was hoping to take part but work has been crazy leading up to stock take yesterday and I was at work again this morning so I’ve no laps in the car at all and I find lack of practice and tiredness is just not a great combination for me. Sorry.

shame as Magny Cours is a real favorite of mine. Good luck to everyone who takes part and have fun.

2. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Well, made an absolute mess of the start en dropped all the way to the back of the field to P21 I think.
    So I had to come in to repair damage and after that worked my way through the field all the way to P6.

And after all that hard work ... brake failure on lap 61 :confused:
    I saw that Scott Ring also had brake failure on lap 61. Damn.

3. Scott Ring

Scott Ring Pro Driver

1st time I ever had a brake fail...I thought I hit something invisible; I spun and flipped:eek: If I had been monitoring brake temps, would it hint at failure?

4. John vd Geest

Don't know. I didn't watch the braked temps. I was just flooring it to the max LOL.
    Something to watch next time for sure. First time for me too. I also thought at the time I hit something. FUBAR !!

Caitlin Penny must have shit her pants when I came flying past her LOLOLOL!! :p:D:eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Kahel Grahf

Kahel Grahf Pro Driver

Sorry Pablo for the punt, totally missed my braking, no excuse but cold break plus stupid driving, you had little chance... hopefully it didn't ruin your race...
    If it's any consolation somebody did the exact same the few laps later tricky spot I guess.

After the messy first few laps the race went pretty well... the field seems a lot more prepare... some great racing.

PS: just saw your post... that's a shame John... you were catching up fast.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Dino Paolini

Dino Paolini Pro Driver

Q: Last lap was allright; lost a crazy amount of time on the straight in sector 1 for some reason, no way to overcome that, p3 was the max.
    R: Nice start, but at the chicane, someone pushed Michal right into my lane and I had to brake and lost a ton of momentum and positions.

After that I could just try to recover as my much as possible. Way too many laps in unbearable dirty air (ASR seems to use the old very high values), position fights with new tires vs old tyres and other stuff didn't help either.
    Still resulted in p2, but had no pace to fight for more anyway today :(

The lapping went quite good again, nice to see that :)
    Grats to the winner and the survivors. see you

• Like Like x 2
  7. Caitlin Penny

Caitlin Penny Pro Driver Media Group

Yep, and let's not forget that it happened twice. XD

8. Gert-Jan van Osch

Gert-Jan van Osch Pro Driver

I already wondered who the other Williams was... Had similar problems in Sao Paulo... But could manage it until the end... Caitlin braked extremely late and heavy at the hairpin so I can understand those brake discs took a beating....

9. Chris Melton

Chris Melton Pro Driver

Just a question-how soon do the results get posted?

10. Martyn McClune

Martyn McClune Pro Driver

Short session again
    Speeding in pitlane quali so took drivethrough but concentration smashed.
    Race , damaged car and took pit stop. Messed up in pits again ending race prematurely.
    First lap I nudged someone in braking area into hairpin, sorry although wasnt hard and I dont think they spun out
    Really losing out making technichal mistakes in this series.
    Was quite quick in practice so a bit disapointed in my performance on race day
    Congrats to the podium and commiss:(erations to the brake failures, kind of thing that usually happens to me :confused:
    CYAS next round

• Like Like x 1
  11. Caitlin Penny

Caitlin Penny Pro Driver Media Group

I had no problems with my brakes. My main problem was that I increased the engine mixture before the race start and realised about half way through that I had already drained about 70% of my fuel, so I had to massively short-shift for the rest of the race just to finish. I then hit the wall and badly damaged my car so I was basically just creeping round for the last half an hour.
    It was such a gutting series of mistakes, because I was elated to be running second in the early stages since I'd only managed 13th last time out. Qualifying fourth compared to Sao Paulo's fourteenth was a highlight of my year, and I'm pretty annoyed at myself for throwing that away.

• Like Like x 1
  12. John vd Geest

Yeah, many mistakes on the first laps, including myself.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Gert-Jan van Osch

I thought after I typed my comment that I might have misinterpretted the the text... Indeed I overtook you again when you were reduced your race pace so I assumed incorrectly that you also might have brake problems.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Gert-Jan van Osch

My race recap: Qualified 5th... I took on a fresh set of quallies 3 minutes before the time ran out and could do a fast lap and improved about 1s.

I had a good start and a very good 1st lap. I was able to overtaking Dino and Caitlin battling it out at the hairpin and could catch up to Michal who was struggling with grip on the rear tyres... So 3rd after lap 1... Starting lap 3 I saw Michal in the wall at the start/finish line and took 2nd place. Ricardo already had disappeared in the distance and I was driving with Caitlin, Dino and Toni on my tail... At some point I had a double down shift to 1st which oversteered the car and I had to catch it again. In lap 8 I had a big off crashing my car in the barriers... I came on the green stuff and had to much throttle.... Came in for repairs and tyres and returned to the track as 14th. In lap 14 I was on John's tail who was struggling with grip so took the opportunity to overtake him after the last straight before the slow corner before the pit entry... Unfortunately why had a collision and had a synchronous piroutte... I could continue without damage but lost several seconds... My tyres "soft" lasted remarkably long and I had good overal grip at the four corners... I noticed in around lap 40 that they started to fade and decided to pit... But... had again a similar spin as in lap 8 and crashed again so also had to come in for repairs. I was up to 6th again... After pitting I returned 9th and had a 40s gap to the 8th placed car... I managed to close the gap to 20s with 20 minutes to go... Then I noticed that I gained again places due to the issues of other drivers and in the end managed to finish 6th...

Looking forward to next race. My goal is to make less mistakes and finish higher then 6th... CU on track

• Like Like x 2
  15. Michał Mazurek

Michał Mazurek Pro Driver

My race looked like many of my previous ones. Good qualifications, then I do something at the beginning, this time I broke the nose of the car against the band in the second minute, I drop by 10 positions, then the race for the missed opportunity. On average I do it, the first pitstop lasts 17s, but repairs do not help, my pace is 1s worse than assumed.
    Finally P3, luckily.
    Congratulations to the winners

Maybe next time? :)

• Like Like x 3