rFactor 2 Round 2 Montreal

Discussion in 'GTD Sportscar USA Closed' started by Ken Jagger, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Filippo Marazzi

Filippo Marazzi Pro Driver

out no way to rentry

2. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Well, I left the race after lap 1 because I couldn't see anyone on track. I was driving by myself with cars popping in and out.

3. Michael LaBelle

Michael LaBelle Pro Driver

Same for me John. It felt like a practice session with pop up danger area. I am not sure what is the cause. Is it my connection and frame rate that is the problem or just the luck of the draw? Come to think of it I have never been in a race before that was that bad. Three qyl laps and the first lap of the race there were no other cars. Would this be caused by turning down the number of visual cars to save frame rate and actually shows no cars. I had my set to 6 cars.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Carl Middleton

Carl Middleton Pro Driver

What a nightmare going round on my own then at last corner cars pop up but they have crashed so damaging my car game over for me that was not racing
    I think should be rerun?
    It maybe track as track may not be able to handle that amount of cars on it?

5. Michael LaBelle

This event , GT3 would have taken place at Mosport in the real world. I have race there with rF2 with a lot of cars and it was alright.

6. Jens Roos

Jens Roos Pro Driver

After 1/3 of the lap after formation, all cars disappear to be back on the back straight for a few seconds before gone again.
    One or two laps later 2 cars pops up for seconds "on" me, one lap later memory exception error something and rF2 crashes.

Seems like 39 cars on track is either over the server or rF2 limits, maybe track but could that really make any difference?
    Previously bad skins could lockup the server, since they now turns to black box that might been fixed?
    (it was only one black box skin on the server)

Unless more resources/bandwith can be allocated to the server, limit to less cars (28)?
    Even on the last race with 28 it was on the limit with a few cars flickering and
    "gliding" or warping on track but it got much better after the first few laps.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

I was in the back & could not see any cars first 5 min like others ..however as players dropped out and the number got to 32 left all the cars popped It was right when carl left all the cars just re appeared ..lol it was fine the rest of the way ..
    So maybe 32 is the magic number for our server ?? maybe we can up the BW in the mp.json but IDK ..
    I have seen & raced rf2 with over 40 cars in multi class at RD so I know it works with large grids .. I'm thinking its bandwidth but im only guessing ..

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Oli Bateson

Oli Bateson Pro Driver Donator

Well thx to Admin for trying such a large grid, it was worth a go but there were a few issues at the beginning. I had no issues with car visibility until the checkered and then it was like a praccy session like others had said. I thought that might be rF2 trying to prevent car contacts or something but I parked it for a bit and then went on my way. As folks dropped out it became better and car visibility gradually got back to normal, there was still a few cars skating around but that may be down to individual pings.
    I had an issue after being lapped when there was a spin ahead of me and a car appeared on my roof :eek: but there didnt appear to be any damage so maybe it was another ping issue. Anyway, grats to the podium and to the finishers!

• Like Like x 3
  9. Flaviu Bozga

Flaviu Bozga Pro Driver Donator

I'm really sorry guys. I forgot the race is today. I was sure is tomorrow :(

10. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

I think it might be the track as well, Start of race cars were disappearing then reappearing that was happening almost to the end of the race when I could see the cars in front they were lagging with maybe 21 or so left on the server.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Darrel Kruger

Darrel Kruger Pro Driver

If we redue the race, let's start over as I was booted in the first race. Maybe limit the cars to 20/race or something, then if more people enter just have a second race and somehow put all the times in a spreadsheet to determine final positions, but that is a lot of work.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Didier Coelo

Didier Coelo Pro Driver

hit an invisible car on lap 4.
    I think 40 cars should be able to run on a server.
    too much Mc Laren ? :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Sim Racing Online

Sim Racing Online Administrator Staff Member Donator

DO NOT SHARE PASSWORDS
    You are Not Allowed to share passwords with anyone who is not registered for an event. Today, Maks Bunevich raced in this event and he is not a member of SRO. This causes problems for our automated results processing and we end up having to do a lot of manual cleanup to get the data into the system.

Violation of this policy will result in a site ban.

14. Andrew Blackburn

Andrew Blackburn Pro Driver Donator

was quite a disappointing race, and now after reading the comments, looks like I was not the only one that had the disappearing cars. All was fine on formation lap, I was right behind the car in front of me heading into the last chicane, then all of a sudden all the cars disappear and I don't know what to do as there was no green flag to say I could go full speed. I was not sure if the cars would reappear all of a sudden. Next thing I know I am 50 plus seconds behind the car in front of me and way down, but still no cars visible on track. It was quite some time before I saw any cars on track. Then when I was around cars, some of them were acting weird, defying physics by driving sideways, through the side walls and then disappearing and reappearing jumping way ahead. I still had fun. Hope the next race is better.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

A lot of issues were experienced tonight by all of us, which means we probably will, unfortunately, have to reduce the number of entries for the next race as an interim solution. The problems may be due to the bandwidth pipe available to the rF2 server and by increasing the number of cars allowed, we added to that load, but this has yet to be proven to be the case. Lots of ideas have been floated about in the rF2 community, but there is no clear, definite answer available to fix what we encountered.
    What did become obvious was as cars dropped out the problem became less and less, until with approx 30 cars remaining the issues seemed to disappear.

Investigations will continue.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Gert-Jan van Osch

Gert-Jan van Osch Pro Driver

Encountered the same issues as already explained above... Was excited drivig with an endurance race size grid, but during the practice sessions I was already expecting something like could happen during the race. In the end the inevitable happened in the first couple of laps cars popped back in the screen on the long straight and after the chicane a BMW suddenly popped up standing in the wall the wrong way around and I hit it straight on... Limped back into the pits 90s to repair and returned 29th one lap down...

It is a pity that after so many hours of preparation for this race it ended like this, but from the other hand I appreciate the effort to let as many people race and enjoy sim racing. In my opinion as already proposed by some others, I think the results do are not representative for what the outcome would have been in a normal race. Therefore my questions is if there are options for a rerun with a smaller grid or scrap the results of this race.

I was also thinking out of the box if there is so much interest in driving these cars a knockout race series is possible with two heat 30min race and top half promotes to the big final and the bottom half drives a small final. Maybe an idea for a new series... ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bubán Dávid

Bubán Dávid Pro Driver

It would be good. Or some type of quali before the next race to make two grids for the remaining races.

But about the yesterday.

Quali: Sadly I spun after the hairpin but this wasn't the big problem. The lag caused a strange thing. My teammate was behind me. From his POW he went to the left and there was 2-3m between us but from my POW he hit me in the back. So I needed to head back to the pit.

Race: it was a Battle Royal where the loot was the random spawning cars, so it was on luck. I got a car in my car before the hairpin and got a lot of damage because of the spin into the wall. And lost a lot of time. Same happened with my teammate but he lost his rear wing at the first corner in lap 2. Then after pitting I let someone to lap me but suddenly he teleported back so I tried to avoid the contact and hit the wall a little. But after all the lag disappeared it was fun.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

Had all the problems mentioned above. :(

I have been racing at SRO right from the beginning a few years now. SRO is a great place to race and I hope that all of the new names I saw enter this race are not put off by the problems we encountered. Welcome all. We had some of these issues at Sebring (well at least I did) and obviously here too, but server problems are an unusual occurrence here so please do not be put off. It was awesome to see the size of the grid here and I'm gutted that it didn't run smoothly. I am positive that SRO will sort this out and hopefully the next round will have no problems. Please stick with us. :)

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  19. Michael LaBelle

I would like to know if there were any participants who had no problem, or did everyone experience the the same problem before the numbers dropped?

20. Andrew Blackburn

Andrew Blackburn Pro Driver Donator

I plan to stay. Looking forward to the next race, although the guys at the front a wicked fast compared to me. Can't figure out how some were able to get such fast laps.

• Like Like x 1