Round 2 Nordschleife Kunos - Thu Apr 29, 2021

Discussion in 'Ferrari 250 GTO Challenge Closed' started by John vd Geest, Mar 30, 2021.

1. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

Sideways IS super wide ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Jos Ogos

Jos Ogos Pro Driver

I'm so sorry guys. This was the top race for me but life is keeping me off simracing at the moment... Hope you all had a great time on this race. I'm doing well otherwise, just extraordinarily busy!

Enjoy!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

Shame you couldn't make it Jos - that was a sublime Combo :cool:
    I was running 1 or 2 PSI over optimum for a lot of the twisty bits as that way I could maintain a decent pressure on the final straight and still actually stop in time for the chicane.
    This meant that once my tires had warmed up the end parts of the technical sections were great fun and very sideways.
    Pretty pleased with my FL given it was set in the race, Much like Matteo I have to keep pushing even when not challenged as I'll make mistakes if I don't - That gave me a margin of over a minute by the end and of course several daft laptimes. I nearly stacked it properly about 2 laps from the end though :eek:

Well done to the podium and finishers for this one - I'm curious why John didn't join us in the race though, the 250 is too nice not to drive at any circuit so was surprised to see you sat in the pits all race and practice?

• Like Like x 1
  4. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

Had a great race and for the first time I went for the entire race without getting any damage and without spinning. Tim was as usual in a universe of his own some 8 to 9 seconds per lap faster. How? Well I made a mistake in not playing around within the gear ratios in practice. When travelling behind Matteo I was right behind him a couple of times going onto the long straight but I found I was bouncing of the rev limiter in 5th. Filip suggested changing the tyre pressures and using a lower gear ratio. I ran out of time to try this so I stuck with my tried and tested setup. 3 laps from the end I caught Matteo. Actually I think he had started fuel saving as the next lap I noticed I was 4 to 5 litres short of being able to finish. luckily I had a good gap to 4th and on the penultimate lap I cruised around. Had enough fuel to get up to full speed on the last lap hoping that Matteo would need to do more fuel saving and come back to me but that never happened. I think 3rd with Tim and Matteo ahead was the best result for me.

Well done to Tim for the win and to Matteo for 2nd :)

This car is fantastic so why aren't more drivers taking part. 9 drivers is disappointing. I think part of the reason is this track. It always puts people off. It does take a long time to learn and it is a difficult place to overtake. For me however it's always a fantastic place to race. See you all next time. :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson Pro Driver

That was good fun for the first 3 long laps, enjoyed battling and chasing 3 other car, swapping places a few times. :cool: Just as i was starting to really enjoy the car more and sliding it about with more confidence, and had pulled a 2.2 sec gap over the chasing 3, i had two really annoying spins at innocuous corners that cost me 7-10 seconds each. :mad: I was dog tired with suffering eyes in VR by that point so rather than cruise around at the back with a 15 sec deficit i decided to park it as i've been abusing my racing good boy tokens this week with swmbo. If there had been a better turn out i would have carried on. Seems a crying shame that this great combo could only muster a handful of cars. :( Might help more if it was pulled forward half hour...maybe.
    Cool combo though and enjoyed using my fake Nardi rim in anger for period correctness :)
    Amazing pace up front Tim!

• Like Like x 1
  6. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

Any chance of sharing your setup Tim?

7. Lorenzo Galluzzi

Lorenzo Galluzzi Pro Driver

Not the best driving of my life yesterday, but not being able to train for this run i can be satisfied for the result. It is really hard to find a good setup here, mine was horrible:D

Grats to Tim on his win( your pace was illegal) , to Matteo and Paul for the podium.

See you in Portugal

• Like Like x 1
  8. Matteo Santini

Matteo Santini Pro Driver

I had this fuel issue and I'll try the app Tim suggested me, but I couldn't trust at all about the in game app. At the end of the 4th lap even if I wasn't pushing hard, analogic fuel indicator was slightly under half tank so I started a brutal (and unnecessary in the end) fuel saving just to discover that in the last lap I saved too much fuel during the last 4 laps of the race. Reserve indicator never lighted up, and my race was no more than a walk around the Green Hell.

One of the least fun races of my life in the end, even if Tim's pace was not within my reach with just 4 laps of practice. Time for training is over lately and in this way I lack any competitiveness.
    I hope to have more time to prepare the next one.

Grats Tim, brutal pace!

See you chaps

9. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

Hopefully it's here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ipa6n5m0fe7x8in/60min race.rar?dl=0

That's the one I raced with, fastest lap was 3 from the end so roughly 50L of fuel will replicate that condition. To be honest I think I just took a setup I made for Aviano a couple of years ago as opposed to making something special.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

Thanks Tim I'll give it a go :)

11. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

Great here's me driving the nuts off the car and you're just walking around. :(

12. I worked hard for all time of the race, but not for to drive and try to go fast.. "simply" to try to keep the car on track, too unpredictable in any point of the track so I was always in "passive" mode and all my wheel's maneuvers was for try to correct the car, I don't never understood what my car does, seem to drive a boat instead a normal car, so to drive and finish the race in this manner are very frustrating.
    Compliments Tim for great victory and all the fast drivers, it's a pleasure to see you in replay and how you are able to keep the car under control
    See you next!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Maxime Tendil

Maxime Tendil Pro Driver

Congrats to podium !!

My race was quite bad, even if was able to close the gap with Lorenzo after a bit of warming up, while I had started to save a bit of fuel in the meantime. But under pressure he did a mistake and I got disturbed like a damn rookie and we got a little contact while we were off, a contact that costed me much more time. Then I tried to re-focus on catching back the 2 cars that had passed us, almost passed Alessandro (? I think) at the end of the straight line but he won at the mental game as we couldn't stay aside in these chicanes.
    Later I did some stupid mistakes, which lead to even more loss of concentration, and in the same time I was more and more worried not to be able to rally the chequerred flag due to fuel. So I was doing much much fuel saving, I knew Mark had retired, and was lifting off in every slope.
    Finished last with orange fuel warning so I think it was a problem indeed. o_O

14. Maxime Tendil

Maxime Tendil Pro Driver

About the attractivity of this series : I really don't understand neither. A few days before the series starting, and seeing that the registered drivers was a low number, I decided to PM all the not yet registered usual drivers in the series. Only Paul Anstey answered me and registered in unfortunately... o_O :(

By the way, why @John vd Geest didn't race at all in both races ? :confused:

15. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

The car itself is very well done, I just don't like driving it.

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. Maxime Tendil

Maxime Tendil Pro Driver

:eek::(