Assetto Corsa Comp Round 2 Oulton Park

Discussion in 'SRO Tuesday Night Racing Ginetta G55 GT4 Closed' started by Rob Milliken, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

GCR2.jpg
    By the early 1950s England had a number of motor racing tracks but the northwest was not well served. The members of the Mid-Cheshire Car Club took it on themselves to rectify the situation. The circuit they developed was on the estate of the Grey-Egerton family. With Sir Philip Gray-Egerton's permission, a circuit was mapped out starting early in 1953 and by August the new track was in existence, measuring 1.504 miles, almost rectangular in shape.[6]

The first meeting took place on 8 August, but the RAC would not allow the public to attend, wanting an opening meeting to be run successfully before allowing paying spectators; nonetheless some 3,000 club members and their guests attended as spectators. The main event of the day was the 33-lap 49.6-mile Formula Two race which was won by Tony Rolt driving Rob Walker's Connaught A Type. The supporting Formula III event was divided into three 10-lap heats (won by Don Trueman, Charles Headland and Don Parker) and a 17-lap final which went to Les Leston.[6]

Last edited: May 9, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Mark Ekins

Mark Ekins Pro Driver

Please don't be wet!
    Finding default setup ok around here, suitably soft for the bumps and kurbs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. Simon Gymer

Simon Gymer Pro Driver

This track is a bit of a wild ride in these cars, back end sliding out at most opportunities. Seems very hard to be consistent and I can't really see where there is anywhere to overtake so I expect that if I can avoid being the clobbered or the clobberer should do ok.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

5. Vasilis Doumanas

Vasilis Doumanas Pro Driver

I will try hard to make it tonight, work kept me busy all these days, i dont know at all this circuit, never raced before, never practiced.. If finally i will make it, i will try hard not be last lol..

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Simon Gymer

Simon Gymer Pro Driver

Had a competitive race for 3rd/4th/5th. Houghton ahead had a car that kept lurching forward and backward like a warp so I was never confident enough to get close to try a move. As a result the one time I tried something, Tim behind snuck up behind and took my place instead, how very touring cars! Annoyingly I was hampered throughout the race with a slow left rear puncture which by the end was about to go pop. I think it was down to 21psi whilst the others were at 27psi. The annoying pit radio kept telling me to "low pressure, stay off curbs", was really off-putting, cause what was I supposed to do? Pit? Staying off the curbs didn't change anything, so no idea why he kept saying that. Stupid annoying pit radio.

Stupid track there is no chance for an overtake (unless you foolishly try to overtake!). It's fun to hot lap on but as a racing track I've never liked Oulton, far too mickey mouse.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Vasilis Doumanas

Vasilis Doumanas Pro Driver

My apologizes to Stephen Wenham, at turn 3 i had a slide and hit him, i am sorry.
    Big frustration tonight, i tried to run the game and it needed to do an update.. My internet speed was low and i lost about 20 minutes for practicing.
    I wanted to practice because i dont even know this track. But i had all kinds of problems that kept me away from this.

After the update i finally logged in and then my internet was so slow as a turtle.. it supposed that i am paying 85 euros for 2 months to have a 50mbs broadband internet..
    Unfortunately i am living in Greece..

I did a router reset and after that i logged in again.. I lost another 10 minutes of practice.. Actually i lost my chance to learn the track..
    At quali i started with wet setup but the track was already drying. My tires was getting overheat, i had an exit and my lap was invalid. Quali was over, i was last..

At race start, at turn 3 i had a slide i lost control and i hit Stephen Wenham. When i joined the track i was about 15 seconds behind and after 2 turns i had an exit again and i damaged my car hardly. I decided to quit because it was not fun at all, my face got red coz of my frustration.

I was suspicious that something went wrong with my pedals, and after quitting i did a test and found out that brake and gas was not calibrated properly, for some reason settings was lost and this was the icing on the cake..

All things happened tonight to prevent me for racing properly.. I am sorry guys i hope things will get better at next one..

• Like Like x 2
  8. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson Pro Driver

aargh what a frustrating race end last night. I miscalculated the ultimate dry pace (should have known with JR up front!) and ran out of fuel with half a lap to go whilst in 6th :(
    Joined late so only got a few wet laps praccy in but was straight on the pace in 6th place. Similar for qually, but i made an error in not stopping as soon as the track started to dry out. With a set of slicks i think i would have been higher up the grid, but once again 6th.
    Race start was decent and clean and set about staying glued to the front 5 hoping for an error to gain places. I was on the same pace which was encouraging and we eeked out a gap to the pack. Then several laps in, i got taken out by a ridiculous lunge at Shell Oils corner which must have come from a car at least 1.5 secs back in the pack :rolleyes: i took a full side impact and feared my aero was now badly damaged. It seemed to crab badly for next few corners and felt out of sorts but may just have been my rhythm destroyed. Now i was 5 secs behind the top 5 :mad: Despite setting continuous 44's and 43's i couldnt re-close down the gap as they were doing the same times but i built a huge 15secs gap to the chasing pack.
    Then disaster, the race went 1 lap longer than i thought and knew my fuel was already marginal. Sure enough it ran out of fuel at Hilltop and i dropped from 6th to about 12th :mad:

Still, the cars were fun and felt great at Oulton Park. I really like the track, but yes it is tough to overtake unless you get your elbows out touring car style or someone makes an error.:)
    Congrats to imperious JR for the win and the podium guys. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

I loved that race - as utterly annoying as it was - like you mentioned a clean overtake simply couldn't happen without a mistake from the competition, this being despite the fact that each of us in the fight for 3rd were clearly running different setups as we each had sectors we were clearly faster in.

After having a few goes at passing Simon (and falling back each time I failed) I decided my best passing opportunity was to keep maximum pressure on him to try and force a mistake, while also staying positioned to pounce whenever he made a passing attempt on James.
    I couldn't manage to force a mistake in Simon, but eventually one of his attempts on James but him on the outside into the Shell Oils hairpin; so naturally I braked late and positioned myself right on James' rear bumper so Simon couldn't come back down :p
    He may have held me off still, but he put 2 in the grass on the exit so I managed to clear him before we reached the Brittens chicane.

After that I spent the final 10 minutes bothering James equally hard, only as he wasn't trying to pass anyone he was able to concentrate on his lines and there just wasn't enough space to make a move stick, despite my having clear pace over him in some areas. I also had some warping from him which made things harder, a few moments where I thought I had him ended with his car rubber-banding back ahead of me by a car length or so just as I'd pulled out thinking the pass was on :(

Last edited: May 12, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Simon Gymer

Simon Gymer Pro Driver

I reckon I might use WIFI for the next race as it will hopefully put people off trying to pass me. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

In fairness to Simone having watched that a few times in the replay, despite being from an epic way back you were parked on the outside of the corner behind and beside me; and he was stopped and in control beside you when you turned down - I would imagine a stewards enquiring calling that one a racing incident. If you'd seen him and stayed high it would probably have been opportunistic pass of the day as it's exactly what I did to Simon but from further back!

• Like Like x 1
  12. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson Pro Driver

i was only on the outside to avoid your derrier as you got checked up behind whoever was in front of you ;) 'parked' wasnt exactly how i'd describe it plus i had no reason to expect a car to appear on the inside from the gap i'd seen in my mirrors on the way down there. In your corner entry your not able to look back up the hill before continuing your way around a banked hairpin, you would need a swivel head like an owl o_O
    Is there a replay file saved automatically in ACC on our installs? would like to see it myself.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

It's in replays under autosaved as default I think

This is why a Steward would go with racing incident - had that happened in an event like my pass of Simon it would more likely have been him that was penalised as due to my position before the pass he would have every reason to expect it.
    like you say - Simones' appearance would be almost totally unexpected, but that's very different to illegal providing he remains under control :)

Or to paraphrase Senna:

gap.jpg

:D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. James Houghton

James Houghton Pro Driver

Thoroughly enjoyed that race last night. Thanks to Simon and Tim for being super drivers and putting up a sterling challenge.
    As for any rubber banding, in my defence I'm on ethernet and 30meg Sky broadband and there was nothing wrong with my ping last night either, had no problems with anyone else. ACC has always been (even since beta) rubbish with rubber banding.
    That was my first podium with SRO on ACC - and one i had to work harder for than any other race i've ever taken part in. That was also the first time i've been consistent enough to make that kind of defence stick a whole race distance too.
    I won't be at the next round at brands, so i'll let you battle it out amongst each other on your wifi ;) - but i'll be back for Laguna Seca (with a fresh and juicy 150meg braodband upgrade too)

Thanks again for a great race, see you all on track soon.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

I'll be setting my VPN to Hawaii - no-one will dare go near me :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Simon Gymer

Simon Gymer Pro Driver

Especially with all those volcanic eruptions coming from the seat of your pants!

17. Björn Johansson

Björn Johansson Pro Driver Donator

A bit late but Congrats to podium player´s and thank you to admins !
    Again some wet practice , well it show´s that one should have done more off that.
    Qual didn´t dare to go in and change to dry set up , don´t think it would have change
    any thing to much .
    Race was ok until I was in doubt about Ekins, if he had some kind off technical problem or what going slow :confused:
    so I thought I go for it, but ending up tangle with him. He waited and let me pass ok, but try to chase
    down Hofman and Jones just made me overdrive all over the track:(.
    See you

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 1