Assetto Corsa Round 2 Road America - Mon Mar 15, 2021

Discussion in 'Lola T70 MarkII Challenge Closed' started by John vd Geest, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Filip Stoyanovich

Filip Stoyanovich Pro Driver

AC HATE RANT
    About the pitstop entrances, I ran in like I did in any other AC race depending on track layout and pit entrance. Full speed here with exception of slowing down a bit first because I wanted to avoid locking up and flatspot the tires. Because my jeenios stratagee didn't involve changing tires, and taking only 1/4 of fuel tank. What you can also see from my point of view when entering pits is that I lost significant ground to Matteo through the pit lane. I totally understand the reasons for your disappointment @Jos Ogos. This sim is almost like cursed :mad: Many times by me hahha We know it's just AC being funny as it is in some matters and "unfinished" as I like to call it. That pit limiter thing being one of them. This is nothing new when you race AC for for some time. Why would you slow down (when you should) if the game is dumb enough in that regard to let you go just like that? That's only one of the things I hate in AC. On another note, there were no pit speed limits back in the 60s :rolleyes: But anyway the game doesn't even have an option to turn pit speed limit off and what can be done is editing the track, but that brings other issues. Because this is how it's hardcoded into AC it seems. For the 1957 Indy 250 that we ran last weekend, we edited the pitlane so that the left side by the wall only is the actual lane with speed limit. Both two lanes to the pitwall was normal road and thus without any speed limit. One "issue" is that you can collide with other cars when going through that (which is normal for online but insane with stupid AI). Second real issue is that you can't see your pit guys until you turn all the way left into that pit lane with pit boxes where the pit speed limit catches on. It's just plain stupid. AMS is much better in these little ways and details. I didn't know it in my beginnings too, and I liked to obey the normal rules and all thinking I would get penalized without even trying to breach it. And that other racers would be fair or penalized. But it was only to realize from these other racers that the game will slow us down on its own anyway, we would not get penalized at the entry line and would loose the least time. They couldn't put a simple drive through for insane speed limit violation on entry but there is one for jumping the start. Of course, there is always a risk of locking up the wheels going in like that since you don't have control over your brakes at that point of pit entrance so you need to aim it hahah

There are also a couple of apps/tools developed for AC to properly penalize pit speed limit infractions, but that requires both the server and all clients to run them. It also brings formation lap option, yellow flags and similar. I think also number of contacts/crashes could be defined to disqualify you. But I've never had the chance to try any of it in a league. I don't know if something could be done with some CSP extensions in the future of its development. That thing and a lot of content helps AC still running strong no matter the stupid pit limit thing. I guess begging Kunos to just fucking update and improve already some of these minor things that can make simracing much better with AC is out of question for quite some time.

Now I don't know if you want to run like this or not in the future, but I'd prefer us just to clearly know in advance what is acceptable and what isn't. But then, who will be able to control all the speed limit infractions and how? You can't do it watching replays since only your speed display is factual and speed displays from other clients will lag behind in your replay. We should do it between ourselves but preferably anyone with an idea of a possible infraction of any rule or track limits should post and ask a clarification from the league admin upfront so that it can be decided.

Second thing is that wide run off at turn 11 kink. I'm sure you can't gain anything by going off into the grass. Just watching the delta, you loose time and speed on the exit when going too fast and wider than the ideal line anyway. Plus going onto the grass is even wider and makes both you and the car nervous enough to just be slower to not risk a spin. That's it. To me, too wide run offs to be watched for gains are more likely at Turn 1 and Turn 12 Canada corner. Anywhere with concrete/asphalt surfaces. Or simply two white lines like at Sebring that we ran with DRM a while ago.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Maxime Tendil

Maxime Tendil Pro Driver

This. I'm glad you brought this point Jos as I was about to do it myself. Not that it would change anything in my very poor performance in this series, :confused::p but really this aspect bothers me a bit :
    1st It's not really stylish (not that I blame anyone to use it as soon as it's possible).
    2nd It's not really fair as on some tracks, some drivers will have their pitboxe right at the beginning of the actual pitlane, which can be positioned just after the speed limit entry, so that this very driver can't exploit it. :rolleyes:

So should we make this slow down before the speed limit mandatory ? Is it feasible ?

3. Maddie Shepherd

Maddie Shepherd Pro Driver

Nope and nope.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Phil Brown

Phil Brown Pro Driver

I think you're supposed to change tires Filip:(

• Funny Funny x 2
  5. Maddie Shepherd

You can add a pitlane speed limit if everyone runs Real Penalty and the server does too but it's more hassle than it's worth.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Matteo Santini

Matteo Santini Pro Driver

Chaps, I hope to speak in a constructive manner. Unless there's no written rule to break I didn't break any rule.
    As @Filip Stoyanovich pointed out, this is one of the stupidest thing in AC, but I guess it wasn't only me to do this during these races. I simply adapted to what I saw in race 1, cause in race 1 I actually slowed down a lot, partly for the nature of the pit entrance, but many drivers didn't, and some of them did hit guard rail, overshoot their pit stall and put the reverse gear to make the pit, but I didn't complain of anything about this, as there are no rules in this league that manage these aspects, and it would be "unelegant" to complain about an unwritten rule. On sunday I had the chance to try a pit stop in the SRO server, and I simply noticed that no penalty were issued going at warp speed in pit lane, that's it. Anyone could do this, not having broken any rule my conscience about this is cristal clear.

As @Maddie Shepherd pointed out also, there are apps like that she mentioned, which I recently used in an Italian champ and I actually hate. By that app you can set all these good things to make the race more "adherent" to reality in some way, but if you don't "calibrate" that app in the right way on every track especially for the "cuts", in a race like that of yesterday you'd have seen at least a couple of DTs issued per every driver, watching at the amount of non valid laps. To quote Maddie "it's more hassle than it's worth". I don't think that it would add any value to this champ but if you feel like giving it a try, I won't object.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Jos Ogos

Jos Ogos Pro Driver

Just for the records... I didn't suggest you had broken any rules, @Matteo Santini. I was making a curious point about how you killed 3 crew teams and, yes, @Filip Stoyanovich made sure no one was left alive behind you too. It was a bit of fun reflection and a joke. Totally light-hearted.
    I'm all for as much realism as possible and don't fancy necessarily dive-bombing into pits. I think this is an issue of etiquette that we all could decide to adhere to, without policing. We are serious people and honest. I'm sure if we decide not to do it, everyone will follow. @Maxime Tendil has a good point about the first car in the entry of the pit... They would not be able to exploit that trick... Just because of that, I personally decide not to do it. Out of respect.
    But I appreciate others might have other views. Be trustful to yourselves.
    Jos

• Like Like x 2
  8. Kimi Martikainen

Kimi Martikainen Pro Driver

I think if game allows dive flat out to pits, it should stay legal, you can always hire new stuff to deal with tyres/fuel if someone gets killed... :) Thanks all for racing & Caitlin for caitlining.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. Matteo Santini

Matteo Santini Pro Driver

I know you didn't, don't worry Jos :) To play down a bit mate, guess how hilarious could have been this situation if I was behind you before the pit line speed check :D:D:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Filip Stoyanovich

I'm not pitting anymore, anyway. The tires can handle it hahha

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. Maddie Shepherd

It's literally a rule though haha.

12. Filip Stoyanovich

Damn

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. Laurent Londes

Laurent Londes Pro Driver

My stance on the pit dive-bombing.

I did it too, because I know others will do it too and knowing that I think it's silly not to do it from a race point of view.

That being said I agree that I would prefer having it like Jos says. It's much more natural to enter at the speed you are normally supposed to. Looks better, feels better. Too bad it's not forced by AC really. If an SRO rule would be made telling you have to slow down, I would be fine with that. I don't think there is a need for apps, just trust on everyone's honesty. I would vote for this rule. If it turns out it doesn't work it can still be removed.

But as long as there is no rule I will do the dive-bomb just like others will. It's not a very big issue in my opinion but I also understands Jos' point of view and somewhat agree with it.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Jos Ogos

Jos Ogos Pro Driver

I've reprocessed the video and it should be alright now...

• Like Like x 2
  15. Maxime Tendil

Maxime Tendil Pro Driver

Then some drivers will ve wronged from time to time because the very point I brought previously.

@Matteo Santini Like Jos said earlier for himself, I hope you don't think I reproach you for doing that neither ;), I clearly indicated that no one could blame anyone for doing that as there isn't any specific rule about this damn stupid glitch. The "unfinished" game is just catching us on that point.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Maddie Shepherd

It's just unlucky for the people with pitboxes closer to the entrance. Trying to police it with some gentleman's agreement won't work and isn't worth it.

17. Maxime Tendil

Maxime Tendil Pro Driver

Mh.. Not my kind of philosophy I must say. :rolleyes:

I think if you were losing the championship in the last race by 1sec and if you had lost 3sec in the pit entry you might change your mind. :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Maddie Shepherd

Gunning it into the pits carries risks as well. I was about halfway down the pitlane in Zandvoort and overshot because of it. Go ahead and volunteer to look through literally every pitstop if you want to solve this problem because otherwise it's just a waste of time to discuss.

19. Maxime Tendil

Maxime Tendil Pro Driver

@Jos Ogos suggested another way of doing that : Just being fairplay, and as AC forces us to observe a pitlane speed limit, we could just do it by ourselves. Still, it's just a proposal, nothing more.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Maddie Shepherd

Rules can't be open to interpretation and I'm sure as hell not going to follow it if it's just a gentleman's agreement that was introduced just because one or two people wanted it.

• Disagree Disagree x 1