Assetto Corsa Round 2 Road America - Mon Mar 15, 2021

Discussion in 'Lola T70 MarkII Challenge Closed' started by John vd Geest, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Filip Stoyanovich

Filip Stoyanovich Pro Driver

A fine drive, as usual. Funny thing as I've seen that silly warping incident from your view, I've taken a look again to my replay. Completely different... really unfortunate for @Maddie Shepherd. And this is how it looked from my perspective and also one TV view focused on your car @Jos Ogos

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Jos Ogos

Jos Ogos Pro Driver

We haven't had these issues in the recent few series. Not at least since I started in SRO (other than the isolated warp).
    There is something wrong with our current setup and, probably, at server side...
    The increasing rate of lag events in RA, compared to Zanvoort, coincides with more cars in the grid. Could it be that the car or tracks we are using are not well optimised and the server can't cope?
    I am not trying to allocate blame or point fingers, just to see if we can sort this out before people give up after being warped out of track repeatedly due to this problem....
    What I am saying is that we are dealing with something new and distinct that we might be able to correct if we work on it rather than ignore it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Jos Ogos

Jos Ogos Pro Driver

Maddie, unfortunately it's almost impossible to remove entirely an element of ambiguity from every rule, so there is an element of interpretation and that's why you have the stewards to consider events and decide, let alone the fact that generally not everyone agrees with their judgment... (Different interpretations...:rolleyes:)
    But to clarify, I'm not suggesting a change of rules, neither a collective agreement.
    I'm saying this is a matter of etiquette, as other issues we naturally do, and I'm stating my personal and individual take on it :cool:. We are all free to do as we like :).
    For me it's simply not worth the 2.5 secs you gain by dive bombing into pits. I rather gain any advantage over my competitors, when I can, on track or I don't :).
    In other words, I'm doing simracing to drive my way in front of you lot, when I can (and you are not making it easy! ;)), and I massively enjoy finishing in front of you lot when I have managed to do so driving and strategising under what I consider to be fair play... (And seek to have the highest standards on this). The pleasure comes (for me) from fighting fairly (much better obviously when ending in front) :p.
    Winning, if that's what anyone is overly interested on, is easy... Drive against your 80% AI and you will be the unbeatable eternal champ... :D

• Like Like x 3
  4. Matteo Santini

Matteo Santini Pro Driver

I understand all your point of view, but I'd rather prefere we won't gonna have a double standards. I explain my point.
    After reviewing our battle on Jos' video until the pit lane entry, I notied thet you were not under the speed limit of pit lane too, as you were at almost 110 kph, and the game completed the braking for you when you crossed the line. (go to min. 29.33 seconds and you'll clearly see it). You'd have been penalized too if there were a speed limit rules Jos. No blaming at all, but which is the standard in this case?
    So, which is the sense to put on a gentleman agreement when we don't have appropriate measures to control and define what is allowed and what is not is absolutely counterproductive. We would need some apps to achieve this goal to avoid someone going into the pits over the speed limit, as no one wants to review 20 replays and see if someone braked any rule.
    Even the use of ptracker wouldn't be helpful at all to solve this issue, cause the pit lane "travel time" reported on ptracker would depend on some variants like your ability to brake later to decrease the time to stop your car properly on your pit stalll, or your readiness to restart after changing tires and refueling. So, there's no way to state a minimum time that drivers should not infringe, cause it will vary depending by the driver.
    The only way to avoid the use of a double standards for pit lane entrance is the use of apps that will check your speed limit. Unfortunately, as Maxime pointed out, even if it wasn't an issue on this specifical track, someone could be placed on a very "early" pit stall, and be penalized about this fact. Someone did already suffered about this issue at Zandvoort, but they still fought for the victory. This is more an issue of pure lucky if we're not going to adopt a single standard about speed limit in pit lane, and we can do nothing about this, apart an "unspecified" gentlemen agreement.
    But, to be honest, I don't see the point if only few drivers will respect this gentlemen agreement. I'd rather prefere to adopt an app that will allow to race with a single standard for everybody. It's also clear that we could find ourselves in really dangerous situation if we adopt a double standard, like that I described to have a laugh with Jos yesterday. To solve this issue is enough to do an offline race wiith maximum AI idiots, and see where you'll find the first pit stall in pit lane. It's clear that if you collide with your opponent before the pit lane entrance, the fault will be attributed to the driver that was following, but once you're inside the pit lane you get "transparent" cars, so we just need a bit of common sense in case we find close on the back of another driver before crossing the pit lane. After we crossed the pit entrance there wouldn't be any issue inside the pit lane, as we can't collide with each other.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Kimi Martikainen

Kimi Martikainen Pro Driver

Why this discussion is still going on? Rules are very simple, enter the pits fast as you can/want,period. Let's move on.

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Jos Ogos

Jos Ogos Pro Driver

It's part of the fun, @Kimi Martikainen. Although I agree the issue is getting exhausted.
    @Matteo Santini, obviously I didn't maintain my aspiration to the highest standards in that pit entry but I don't think that invalidates my point as, rather than absolute accuracy (in AC is not needed), the point for me is about how you approach that maneuver and the intention rather than the exact result. I definitively was aiming to reduce my pit entry speed.
    This thing is certainly not an issue in rF2. @Caitlin Penny knows that very well after, in our latest Indy pro 2000 race, she had to serve a Stop & Go for entering pit with excess speed. I was following her into the pits and avoided miraculously the same penalty for just, or even less than, 1km/h. It adds an extra dimension to the racing.
    But hey, I've already said thousands of times, I'm not asking for anything, just be careful with my crew team, please. :p
    Jos

7. Maddie Shepherd

Maddie Shepherd Pro Driver

As for the server lag, I experienced it in another race on Saturday with basically the exact same situation. I think it got fixed by switching to the latest server manager edition or something like that. I really hope we don't experience it again.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. Matteo Santini

Jos, I like your passion for "get real" experience, but I don't understand which is the point in your discussion, because we're playing Assetto Corsa and no rF2. Why we should make our life more difficult having a double standard of rules? You're "handicapping" yourselves when you could do like every driver simply respecting the rules and limits of this damned game. Unless @John vd Geest wants to enlighten us with a proposal or new rules, we can simply accept Assetto Corsa has some limits on this issue, and it would be cool if everyone will adopt the same "unfair advantage", because in this way we would race with same exact rules for everybody, included the "Pit Stall Lottery" :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Laurent Londes

Laurent Londes Pro Driver

I say no more pitting since pitting doesn't work in AC :D

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Jos Ogos

Jos Ogos Pro Driver

:D Considering the many other handicaps I already have against your tremendous alien (at times) skills (for many of you) this extra handicap is not going to make much difference...:D

11. Jos Ogos

Jos Ogos Pro Driver

Actually, this is a great point for this series. The car can perfectly cope both with fuel and tires...

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Matteo Santini

I agree with you chaps, we could solve easily this issue without making the pit mandatory, even cause the strategy is really not a factor with this car, given the fact you can't refuel more than 20 litres without losing so much time. It's almost "fixed strategy" for everyone and pit adds nothing but (civil) discussions in this thread :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Maxime Tendil

Maxime Tendil Pro Driver

I quite agree but then we're gonna have a discussion about changing the mandatory pitstop rule during the course of the series.. :p

It just adds the 'undercut' aspect, but also this tends to make some people wanting to pit when there is some traffic/battle (like Jos cleverly did for instance) so that it's not really a good point I guess. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Mar 17, 2021
    • Agree Agree x 3
  14. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Philip Kraus is under review for punting Jos Ogos without doing a drive-through afterwards or giving the position back. Timestamp 54:23.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Philip Kraus has been given a drive-through penalty for punting Jos Ogos at Road America without doing a drive-through afterwards or giving the position back, timestamp 54:23.
    This penalty has to be completed in his next event at the end of lap 1.

• Like Like x 2