Assetto Corsa Round 2 Road America

Discussion in 'RSS GT1 Series Closed' started by John vd Geest, Sep 20, 2018.

1. Darrel Kruger

Darrel Kruger Pro Driver

I was just loading up for another practice session, using CM (content manager) and just noticed something new to me.... a restrictor slide in addition to the BOP slide. I assume this would put a restrictor on the intake of the engine, thereby limiting max power.
    I think this would be a better solution, but I never seen this in the AC main menu's.
    I agree that adding ballast to the winners is kinda cheesy, but my idea was to just add a little each race, so by the end of the season there would be a race and not one racer running away from the first race. And all the backmarkers just dropping out.

2. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams Pro Driver

:p

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

We already did that for the AC Group C series.
    There will be no extra weight ballast for the winners/podiums. If you choose the Ferrari 550 for your first race, then you're married to it as it is :). I'm just very nice taking 10 kilo's off.

In all honesty, I can do very fast laptimes with the Ferrari 550 + 60 kilo's extra weight. That's why I choose the Lister Storm. It's not polite to win all the races if you're the serieshost :p. Even with 50 kilo's I did 1.45.400 at Watkins Glen within 30 minutes. You're driving a speed monster !!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Darrel Kruger

Darrel Kruger Pro Driver

John, I'm not trying to change your league, this is the first league I have been in that we even had ballast. So it is all new to me, ergo, the discussion.
    After the other posts I looked around a little more.
    It seems that AC only has "ballast" that you can add "in the game". Other's were mentioning BoP & I thought they were talking about ballast.
    In CM, there is a control for 'ballast" and for "restrictor", but the "restrictor" is only available there, not in the game. Maybe this figure is available somewhere in the config files, but I think that it was just added in the latest updates to GT3 cars.
    I run with the "ideal line" ON, when I start with CM, I loose that, so I don't want to use CM, unless there is a way to make sure the 'ideal line' is ON.
    I still would think that using the restrictor would be a better way to equalize the cars, if they weigh about the same. But I don't know how you would impliment that without using CM launcher.
    :confused:

5. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams Pro Driver

Both Ballast and Restrictor are options on the server, so either can be used online, but this series has already been set to ballast so I assume it will stay that way, as it will take a lot of testing cars with various restrictor settings to even things out.
    Maybe the restrictor can be used in future championships.

To use racing line in CM,
    click 'assists' next to the join button in the online server page after selecting the server you want to join, then turn ideal line on.
    No point changing any of the abs / tc / tyrewear etc. options as the server will override those settings.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. John vd Geest

Correct :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Laurent Londes

Laurent Londes Pro Driver

Well, I did some laps and if the Ferrari can do a 1.45.400 in John's hands that is more than a decent pace I'd say..

8. John vd Geest

Here's my lap in the Ferrari 550 + 50 kilo's. After 25 minutes testing and setupwork the car took me to a 1.45.450. That car is a monster, even with 50 kilo's extra. Might even be too low. Originally I had set it to 80 kilo's BOP, which would have been more realistic to the other cars. So ... I think it's fair to say that there is nothing wrong with "only" 50 kilo's ;)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  9. Laurent Londes

Laurent Londes Pro Driver

I would have trouble keeping up with the Lister I think.

10. Darrel Kruger

Darrel Kruger Pro Driver

Are u guys cheating????~

... anyways... on the drivers standing page there is a column next to pts called 'next'.... what is that?

11. Jeroen Remmers

Jeroen Remmers Pro Driver

Did some testing before. Also drove these cars alot, and extracted all the car data files, to have a look at weight, power output and brake force. (actual hardcoded numbers)

The thing that makes the 550 so fast is the midcorner grip and also the fact that it has the lowest aero drag thus giving it best top speed (it doesnt win out in power at all) Its also 30 to 60kg lighter then other cars (1170 vs 1200 and 1230)(again, these are the values in the car ini files, the values shown in showroom/CM are not correct)

It has the least powerful brakes in pure force (Nm) (altho this is offset by the car being slightly lighter too, and the Nm values for all cars are within 100Nms, so its very minor really.)

Knowing this; It makes it pretty hard to balance. With enough weight you can slow it down mid corner easily, but it will still win out on the top end at the straight, cus the aero drag values are just so much better.
    Too much weight and it will not accelerate and brake at all anymore, while it will still be fast on the straight. Too little and the aero and mid corner grip carry it to the win.

E.G. Give the 550 200kgs, and on a long straight, with same wing settings, it will still go faster then the Lister/Tornado at the end of it, cus of aero values.

The thing is it differs alot per track I found, on some it seems to need 50kg, while on others, Im still okay with pace on 70kg. The car is abit harder then say the lambo (but it aint no viper) but if u drive it well it will reward you with alot of speed.

That said however I think the BOP is pretty close. With my own testing I would give the 550 50 or 60 kgs aswell, but it differs alot per track, the advantage it has. And for the Saleen I wouldve gone with 25 or 30 myself, but it evens out, seems the car needs a higher rear wing then others to be stable (it is also already the heaviest car at 1230kg stock together with the Viper, however this Saleen really shines in downforce corner sections, never mind the weight, we will see in Road Atlanta I think.)

One more point to add is that, in my hands (and alot of others, I think) the Viper is abit off pace. It is a ton harder to handle then some other cars (imho) and I have to work very very hard for a mediocre laptime. It sits at 1230kg stock. I made an edited one at 1190kg, and its much more in line with others, this is however taking it one step further, and actually editing car files and repackaging etc, since we cant do negative ballast in the game systems itself.

Car balance in the end is close enough that its the driver that matters, The lambo is a slow turd that likes to grill rear tyres, Its not so fast in the corners andthe acceleration is on snail pace together with the Lister, but it plays the nicest with how I drive, so I prefer it over a faster one.

With 50 Kgs however the 550 is right on par with the 575 at 1220KGS, seems ok, might be too strong since the car is better everywhere else (besides braking) BUT its also harder to drive the 550 compared to the 575

I wouldve like for the Viper to be better tho, I simply love it but cant find the speed with it in stock form (and it kills me instantly if I have 1 concentration lapse :D)

PS; Dont use restrictor, its not a linear curve and it differs per car, its hard to balance with just this, ballast (upto a certain amount) works better

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
  12. Yusuf Macit

Yusuf Macit Pro Driver

I also have done a little bit of pre championship testing with the cars, and it is pretty much what Jeroen says. First, i went with the Chrysler Viper, it felt kind of slow even without giving a go to other cars. Then i took the Lambo out for a few consistent laps around the Indian circuit. But i did not even need those laps to tell the difference between the Lambo and the Viper in terms of agility, quickiness, speed. It just felt faster. I also tried other cars (in offline mod) i honestly had faster lap times compared to the Viper, however i am not the type of a driver to change his car in exchange to be fast in another in a series that is about fun and clean racing. I just wanted that extra challenge with Viper and i went with what i liked the most in the car pack. From that point on, i thought it was up to me to figure out how to catch up with fast drivers in fast cars and to be frank with you, it is going much better than i had earlier expected!

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1