rFactor 2 Round 2 Zolder 79

Discussion in 'The Honey Jar - F1 1979 Closed' started by John vd Geest, Nov 13, 2017.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Here is a test race I did on Zolder 79 a while back. Enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  2. John vd Geest

And here's the real deal. F1 in 1979 at zolder.

• Like Like x 1
  3. John vd Geest

Prepairing for the race:
    As you all know, prepairing for a race is not just doing hotlaps on your own to get the fastes time. You also want to know how the cars will react in the race while heavy on fuel and with cold tires and brakes on the first lap. As if this wasn't enough, you also have to take into consideration that there are cars driving very close around you.

If you want to be well prepaired for Zolder in terms of driving in traffic and overtaking possibilities, I recommend doing a testrace against the AI. Load up the track for a 10 lap race while all cars are still close to eachother. Don't start at the front, but in last place and set the AI strenght to your own pace. If you do 3 to 4 races like this, you will know everything there is to know about racing in traffic here and what the best places are to overtake and where to be patient.

BTW the AI behavior is pretty good on this track. 105% is already very competitive.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  4. John vd Geest

I will be on the server tonight round 19.15 GMT.

5. Bret Metcalf

Bret Metcalf Pro Driver

Must say I am rather excited looking forward to racing with you chaps on Sunday evening:) (which would be 22:00 here in SA)

The reason why I joined this series is the MOD, superb creation imo, I used to race this mod in rF1 a few years ago in another league.

Just for info: We used to use about half of the cars and allocate them to drivers (a handicapping system) based on their pace/skill level. The fastest drivers (aliens) were allocated for example a Mclaren, the next fastest would get maybe the Brabham BT49, the next the Lotus 79,/ Tyrrell and son on, the next tier of drivers would take maybe a Ferrari, Ligier or a Williams FW07 respectively. Overall it worked rather well in promoting closer racing whilst at the same time giving the not so quick drivers an opportunity to keep up there and score points. Having varying chassis out on the track gave some flavour, plus with individual car skins as well . If I remember correctly the lowest car type we used was a Mclaren because further down than that the cars were just not competitive with the upper tier cars no matter who drove them. Anyways...just saying.
    Good Luck To Everyone at Zolder.

Regards,
    Bret

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  6. Nick Phillips

Nick Phillips Pro Driver

Hi Bret and welcome.

To a point I agree. In several multi car series I ran previously, I made the drivers pick a different car each time, so as to try and even it out a bit. Obviously given the disparity in performance in this mod that would work even better. But still the cream would rise to the top. Worth considering I agree.

7. John vd Geest

That is a interesting concept indeed, I agree. But ... the rules have been layed out before this series started. In other words, it was agreed up on that you can pick any car you like for each race. In my opinion it's not correct to change that rule now, as some people may have joined the series just because they can change cars as they like.
    It might be a good idea for a future series how ever :)

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Bret Metcalf

Bret Metcalf Pro Driver

Hi John,
    Just be be clear from my side, I was just sharing info that's all, no intention or hint meant to change things now.:)

Regards,
    Bret

9. John vd Geest

That's fine Bret. Good idea's are always welcome.
    Just brainstorming: how did you determine a drivers skill to know what car he/she should drive before race 1? By ranking?

10. Yoeri Gijsen

Yoeri Gijsen Pro Driver

Championship standings can work, though you would still need to account for the initial division of the cars.

11. Bret Metcalf

Bret Metcalf Pro Driver

Thank You John.
    It was primarily based on that we knew who our consistently fastest drivers were. I know it sounds rather simple but that's the way it was.
    The bench mark would be set from our faster drivers who would set times at various tracks with what was the fastest car (FW07) and we just took it from there really by comparing the overall pace of all drivers relative to the faster drivers in the same car. After allocating cars to everyone we ran 3 or 4 test races to re-evaluate (in the off season), make adjustments if necessary. When a new driver joined the league, he/she was not allowed to join a championship race immediately, the rule was that the new driver had to compete in at least two non championship races (club races) so his/her pace could be determined, only after that was a vehicle allocated and then he/she could compete in the championship.
    Regards,
    Bret

12. John vd Geest

Oke, thanks for explaining :)

13. Yoeri Gijsen

Yoeri Gijsen Pro Driver

Another option would be to put a price tag on each car for which they can be hired on a race-by-race term. People would have to switch cars during the season as running the best cars all season long would exceed their budget. This would create diversity on the starting grid as well. You can still implement Bret's idea into this too, allowing some drivers more budget than others.

• Like Like x 1
  14. John vd Geest

Yeah, I like that idea.

15. John vd Geest

For those who forgot to read the rules and regulations, I would hereby like to bring it to your attention.
    I suggest to pay special attention to rule 3.1 Punting and 3.4 Use of Esc. in qualifying.

Reminder: Jose Casanovas and Ken Hunter have to do a drive-through penalty directly after the first racing lap at Zolder (or their first next race) for infraction of rule 3.4 at Kyalami.

Sim Racing Online rules and regulations:
    https://www.simracingonline.co.uk/t...ne-racing-rules-and-regulations.126/#post-851

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  16. Paulo Lima

Paulo Lima Pro Driver

Hi!
    Practice pw is not working

Forget it.... just saw it!

17. John vd Geest

Now it's easy. We will be using the same race password every race.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Yoeri Gijsen

Yoeri Gijsen Pro Driver

[Moved the post to race reports. Sorry for spamming - YG]

On a sidenote: I would very much like to urge 'backmarkers' to NOT slow down on the apex in the middle of the corner. I've had some heart attacks this race because I had to brake after the acceleration point in some corners. There's plenty of room to move over on straights, or to run wide in a corner. Pretty much everything is better than catching someone at the apex...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  19. John vd Geest

20. Yoeri Gijsen

Yoeri Gijsen Pro Driver

I always forget this...

• Like Like x 1