Round 3 Bikernieki - High speed ring

Discussion in 'Group C Honey Jar Series Closed' started by John vd Geest, Apr 16, 2018.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

You can watch the broadcast on the top of your screen.
    Click the link "Live streaming".

2. Roel Postma

Roel Postma Pro Driver

John, you are right at that point. In this case i am at least 1 mtr away from Pablo and i see him jumping out of line. I did also not feel any impact in my wheel, and believe me, i know when i do tap someone.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

I
    Was chasing you more on Goodwood and I tried to Merc for round or 2 there and think its just difference in car statistics. Drivers need to be aware of this. Cars are different and i see Merc beeing the most horrid to follow ( and drive lol ) as it brakes way too early but jettisons from corners like no other.

4. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

Personally had solid run. Couldnt go any faster and made no mistakes.

5. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

Well Done to all.
    John, how are you so fast, you lapped me in 21mins, i think i was 4th at the time.

man, this is a tough series,
    ive given it my max and its bitten me again.
    this time getting a "box of Neutrals" with 3mins to go.
    this series is trying to tell me something.

but at least i tried, it was good while it lasted.
    thanks all

6. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

LOL , I am struggling with these cars to Karl..:confused:
    They take a lot of practice to master … & just don't have the time ..so I'm hoping maybe in the next few rounds the car will come to me from time put in while racing but for now its a mushy bouncy house for me ..I was also hoping that my fresh install & new OS install + new G27 "fresh profile" would give me a better feeling and some speed as i'm always 3 -5 sec's off pace in any AC event I do .. I have tip toed around in it, tried to seduce it around the corners , babied it , bitch slapped it ,..it just does not like me ..lol :rolleyes: I have tried lots of set from other drivers but the core feel of the mod remains the same to me .. I doiden't like it anyway & now I really don't like it hahaha :p but I must like the punishment as I'm still here ..haha although the entire race I kept saying to my self "never again will I drive this car " lol ..couldn't wait for this one to end … I feel your pain karl !! :eek:

Congrats to the top 3 ! well done guys !

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Pablo Finotti

Pablo Finotti Pro Driver

First of all, congratulations to John and Toni, it was a very good race.
    I really enjoyed this track, the C9 wasn't completely off the pace like I considered a priori, but this car doesn't REALLY like corners.

Q: I was so pissed after quali... I knew my only chance o win was to score the pole and hold the entire field for a couple of laps, since I did a non-stop flight. But the excessive power of this car was too much to handle. I crashed twice during the session. The car lost traction in 3rd gear unexpectedly and I lost my two best laps, according to OV1 I was around 0.5s faster.

R: On the race my strategy was to keep the gap to John and Toni smaller than 30s, so I would overtake them during their pits and hopefully win, since I wouldn't pit. At the first couple of laps I would be slower in order to save around a half lap of fuel, to have some margin at the end, so I was lifting and coasting on the straights. Unfortunately, due to the aforementioned crashes, I saw myself 30 s behind the leader after 4 laps of racing. Then I just brought the kid home, but not without scary moments. The throttle pedal was a bit intermittent, as the brakes... with about 10 min remaining the brakes locked in the middle of the front straight and I hit the wall at T1 lightly. I really don't know what happened there, so I decided to slow down even more. This week I'll disassemble the pedals and clean them, the terminals are not getting perfect contact, probably.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Pablo Finotti

Pablo Finotti Pro Driver

This car is very challenging, indeed. It is not very balanced on corners and during the braking. I use a lot of ARB (almost 10 clicks!!!) and hard springs at the rear to try to make it turn, but it's not working, lol.
    In fact, when following a C9, Mazda and Porsche drivers have to be more patient than usual because our braking distance is like 25% bigger. Just wait for the Mercedes drivers to make a mistake on the braking (or corner exits, which is not hard to happen, trust me) and pass .

• Like Like x 3
  9. Davide Ricciardi

Davide Ricciardi Pro Driver

Great job guys, I just watched yesterdays night race... congrats all, fantastic commentary and live broadcast. It's a shame I wasn't there with you but Saturdays are impossible for me to race, I should be there next round tho. It would be great to have next championships in the weekdays, I'll not miss one :D

Cheers.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Larry Thomas

Larry Thomas Pro Driver Donator

Unfortunately I didn't manage to get in much practice. Got caught up in an incident or two, made a few errors of my own but overall a fun race. Am learning though. After this "practice series" I will be ready for a real series :rolleyes:.
    Congratulations to the podium.
    Out of interest, did all the Porsche drivers pit? It seems to me that @Philipp Pichler didn't but can that be possible? (The championship report pit stops doesn't work - shows "Pit Stops: 0")
    Also, is it possible to get the replay? I had a problem with my recording.

Se you all back in time at Interlagos.

11. John vd Geest

• Like Like x 1
  12. John vd Geest

No-shows;

The following drivers have been removed from the series as no-shows;

1. Jeroen Remmers
    2. Ramon Salles
    3. Robert Waddell
    4. Stefan Fritsche
    5. Zac Bremmer

They did not show up at Bikernieki without unregistering.
    If they feel they could not unregister because they had no acces to a computer or phone, then they can contact me to get back in. They will then get 1 second change.

13. John vd Geest

Qualy

I just nicked the pole with 1 or 2 tens. I expected Toni to be there, but was really surprised my teammate Pablo was so close in his Sauber. That car doesn't turn! Only goes to show what a great driver he is. I'm proud of him ;).

Race

I was lucky to pull a small gap on the first racing lap, so Toni could not slipstream me to T1. In stead he was fighting with Pablo and that gave me the change to pull a bigger gap of 3 second. I the first 20 mintues Toni closed that gap very slowely and then had to pit. I had to start pushing very hard after his pitstop, because I knew he would take medium tires to undercut me on my pitstop. Because I was on the hard tires, I could stay out 48 minutes and with the fuel going down all the time we kept doing the same laptimes.
    In the end Toni was a bit unlucky with traffic, or he would have been right on my ass or even in front of me after my pitstop.
    So, I took medium tires for the last 12 minutes and could then very easely stay in front because Toni's second medium tires had dropped off already.

We now go into Mercedes Sauber land for the next few races. Interlagos has very long straights and it will be very hard to overtake them in sector 3 if they block and then just pull away again on the straights. Same goes for Watkins Glen.

I expect to be slaughtered completely on the Oisterreichring 79 by the Saubers. I wouldn't be surprised if they even lap me hahaha.
    Kyalami is also Sauber land, so I have to get as much points as I can. It will be hard to win any more races with both Pablo and Toni in the mix and who else with all the extra weight I carry now and it will only get heavier.

Looking forward to the rest of the series. It will be a thriller :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  14. Larry Thomas

15. John vd Geest

• Like Like x 1
  16. Philipp Pichler

Philipp Pichler Pro Driver

Yeah thats right, but I do not know how either. I drove with full tank, lifted and coasted into the fast esses and the second turn. That was enough to finish the race and even drive back to the pits but I slowed down a lot in the last two laps to be safe. Was probably not needed but I couldn´t interpret the fuel display lol

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. John vd Geest

I've converted the Twitchlink to YouTube. Share it around, tell your racing buddies about the series, because this series deserves a full grid ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

Video will be in Media very soon.

19. Larry Thomas

20. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

Very odd here i have just downloaded the replay from the SRO link in championships.