Round 3 Deutschlandring

Discussion in 'F1 Classic 1967 Series - S2 Closed' started by John vd Geest, Mar 18, 2019.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Deutschlandring

Deutschlandring - a showcase for 1930s German engineering, boasting the fastest corner in Grand Prix racing, designed to host the 1940 German Grand Prix... destined never to be used at all.

In the 1930s, the government of Nazi-Germany constructed a circuit that was to replace the infamous Nordschleife of the Nürburgring. The new track allowed for much faster speeds and, being exactly 10km in length, was to have much quicker lap times. This in turn meant more fun for the one million spectators for which the circuit was to provide accommodation. In those days, motor racing drew huge amounts of people. It wasn’t unusual to have several hundred thousands of spectators at a single Grand Prix. This is reflected in the Deutschlandring design. Parking space for over three hundred thousand cars was planned, all of which could leave the area within two hours, thanks to several direct connections to the surrounding road network. The circuit extended from an old hillclimb track near the town of Hohnstein, just a short drive south of Dresden, into a large oval. The designers got their inspiration from a number of legendary racing circuits around the world, including Mellaha at Tripoli, Linas-Monthléry, Monza and of course the Nürburgring. And there was no doubt that propaganda played a key role. This was to be the track to end all tracks. On April 27th, 1939, the circuit was baptised Deutschlandring.

But ironically, the circuit experienced the same fate as the Reich from which it had sprung. After the tarmac was laid, war broke out and nothing came of racing. The upcoming 1940 German Grand Prix was cancelled, Mercedes and Auto-Union mothballed their racing cars and nobody ever raced the Deutschlandring. Today, it’s part of the public road network.

(Note by John vd Geest: The track designer is Fat-Alfie, who you might also know from his tracks Thomson Road and the Feldbergring.)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  2. Maddie Shepherd

Maddie Shepherd Pro Driver

Does anyone have any tips/advice or even a base setup for setting up these cars? (Especially the Eagle).

Have been struggling to set the car up in the first 2 rounds, especially with traction.

3. Steen Toudal

Steen Toudal Pro Driver

I have to admit that I pretty much always run stock setups - except for gearing. Do you guys work a lot on setups, and do you change a lot of things or are there just a few key things you change around?

4. John vd Geest

The sliders in the setup menu make no sence at all. If you change camber and toe, for example, you have to look at "Car status" on the right for the actual numbers.
    Same goes for ride height and so on. I have send Mac my Eagle setup.

5. Steen Toudal

Steen Toudal Pro Driver

I think I'll just drive around any issues. Makes for an extra challenge. :)

6. Henri Miettinen

Henri Miettinen Pro Driver

I don't know about cambers and ride heights, I don't really feel the difference if I change them. But lower rear ARB adds traction. I make my base setup by first adjusting tire pressures, ARBs and dampers, the rest is fine tuning.

7. Henri Miettinen

• Like Like x 1
    • Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1
  8. Caitlin Penny

Caitlin Penny Pro Driver Media Group

Good luck everyone!

The race will be broadcast live here:

• Like Like x 2
  9. Stef Williams

Stef Williams Pro Driver

• Like Like x 1
  10. John vd Geest

Due to the length of the track, the qualifying time is excended from 10 to 15 minutes.
    That should give you 1 outlap and at least 2 flying laps.

11. Henri Miettinen

I just realized I couldn't get to this race because I have a race with modern F1 cars at the same time. The only races that I can maybe get are Longford and Bridgehamton.

12. Jens Roos

Jens Roos Pro Driver

I have unregister for this race as I away for this weekend, so someone else have to be the backmarker for this one :D

See you at the next :)

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  13. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

At current rate that'll be me.
    Either the Honda is really bad here or I was asleep last night!

14. Henri Miettinen

It may be pretty slow here because it is so understeering car. But it is stable too, so maybe you win because others drive on the wall :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

hey Lads.

going to be pulling out of theses races.
    Been drafted into a league so need to dedicate time too it.

Karl

16. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

why the .... when you make mistake, you move to driving line to the corner when whole grid is approaching fast and you are moving slow?
    why the .... when you spin, you let your car roll forwards to road when whole grid is approaching fast?

tyvm

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Maddie Shepherd

Maddie Shepherd Pro Driver

Not sure why we bother racing at tracks like this tbh. All it seems to do is cause lap 1 accidents and ruined races.

18. Stef Williams

Stef Williams Pro Driver

FUUUUUUU...
    Read the tale of epic fail that was my race.
    It was going so well. Something suddenly clicked tonight and I was doing consistent laps 3 seconds faster than the best I'd managed yesterday. Managed to qualify in 7th with another PB and I was chuffed. First lap, got passed by someone at the bottom of the hill, but wasn't concerned, just tucked in and prepared for the next 45 minutes. There was a bit of a pileup on one of the corners which I managed to get through, which got me up to about 5th probably.
    Then, as I was braking hard and turning in for the last right-hander before the long straight that leads to the beginning of the hairpins, I had a screen freeze. Completely frozen for about a second. This put me in the wall and I took out about three other cars in the process. I am really sorry to all those who got caught up in it. I've given my PC and graphics card a very stern talking-to. So annoying considering I hadn't had any freezes (except for one very minor one) before this at all. I haven't watched the replay yet, so don't know who I killed, but as I say, humblest apologies.
    Luckily though, there was no major damage and I could still drive straight , so carried on and basically watched @Phil Brown's exhaust pipes for the next half an hour. I managed to keep up with him on the whole, with the gap fluctuating between 1.5 and 5.5 seconds, but still keeping him in sight. @Matteo Santini went into the pits ahead of us both after about 20 minutes which put me into 6th.
    6th place! Points! Well, a point, but still... POINT!
    And it was going fine, I was still keeping Phil in sight, @Steen Toudal was about 19 seconds behind, everything was good, and then, with about 8 minutes to go, I glanced at my relative as I came on to the start/finish straight. Just that glance was enough to make me veer off into the hay bales on the left - very bloody hard hay bales which completely wrecked my suspension and left me trying to limp home for the last couple of laps. There was no way I could keep up any kind of pace and was overtaken by both Matteo and Steen and my hope of a point vanished. To say I was annoyed with myself is an understatement, especially as I'd done pretty much the same in the last race when checking my relative. TLDR I;'m an idiot.
    But I have to say I love that track. There was a massive lap 1 crash caused by me but it wasn't the track's fault - it was my PC's. There were some other incidents too, but I think that kind of track fits the 67 cars so well.
    Anyway, on to the next race. Congrats to the podium as ever, and though I haven't seen it yet, I'm sure a sterling job as ever from @Caitlin Penny. Also, thanks to @Henri Miettinen for posting a setup which formed the basis of what I used.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Louis Defor

Louis Defor Pro Driver

Whew!
    There was sweat pouring into my eyes by the last few laps; I had to wipe it off down the straight. Seems we have our own specific problems in simracing!
    It was a terrific race from my point of view; while I messed up my first flying lap, I had the time to get to the pits for a steering fix and just managed two more flying laps, which put me in second at the start. I must say it's pleasant to begin the race with an acceptable framerate due to everybody being behind you.
    During the first few laps I had a great fight with Matteo right behind Jukka, but sadly Matteo went a little wide at a blind corner which I consider one of the hardest to get right. It also includes a nasty fence right after a dip in the grass at the exit for when you get it wrong.
    Someone in the stream (which by the way was no less excellent than usual, thank you Caitlin!) chat suggested that the Cooper was too fast in the corners, and is in the straights as well now that ballast has been added to some of its competition. I disagree: looking at the ptracker statistics, Jukka saw his Lotus reach 295 km/h during his fastest lap, whereas Matteo and I only reached 286 km/h! Nevertheless I did notice a big difference in performance in the opposite direction during the uphill part before the straight; I suspect the Lotus's ballast was slowing it down considerably. But that didn't seem to bother Jukka too much; and regardless of his vehicle's performance, his driving was absolutely fabulous. Absolute consistency without the slightest mistake, along with flawless defense. For the last 25 mins of the race I kept trying and trying to catch him, but I just couldn't make it stick. Bravo!

I personally love these longer tracks with big differences in height and lots of relief in the road; the Feldbergring and Highlands also fit this description and my best performances have been on these three tracks. My better than usual drive this time though was due to me playing with the Cooper's rear toe, which gave it a much more productive slide than its previous feels-like-the-rear-tires-are-gone-(literally-driving-on-rims) slide. I'll keep fiddling for next week's Bridgehampton race.

Congratulations to all who participated.
    Sorry for those who got stuck in the pileup toward the beginning; I had my fair share of those last season (Monza I'm looking at you).
    Very nice fight for 3rd by Tim and Fabrizio, well done guys. You kept it very clean as well, quite impressive!
    Last but not least, congratulations Matteo on the best lap. I have little doubt you are the fastest driver here. (Thomson Road? :O) Very hard to keep this Cooper on the road though!

Anyhow thanks to everyone who made this race possible. See you next week for some more sideways action!

Last edited: May 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 4
  20. John vd Geest

Educate us please, what did you do?

• Agree Agree x 1