Round 3 Deutschlandring

Discussion in 'F1 Classic 1967 Series - S2 Closed' started by John vd Geest, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Louis Defor

Louis Defor Pro Driver

Well I found that reducing the rear toe (i.e. pointing the wheels a little less inward) made the car much more willing to rotate. Given the Cooper's unpleasant and constant will to oversteer more than is necessary when you don't want it to, I was surprised that this actually helped. Keep in mind this might only apply to the Cooper; but it made it much easier to get very slight oversteer (instead of a big almost uncontrolled slide), the kind that allows you to keep the steering almost straight and drive with the throttle.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Louis Defor

Louis Defor Pro Driver

I'll add that the effect was most felt in medium to long and relatively fast corners where I didn't have to let off the gas or put as much weight on the front wheels to get the car to rotate.
    Also this is a great website explaining the setup parameters in GPL, which still apply here:
    http://www.intothered.dk/simracing/cars.html

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Matteo Santini

Matteo Santini Pro Driver

Unfortunately for me Louis, I'm fast but I ususally do a lot of mistakes, especially when trying to catch someone in front of me. So, to be honest, it's difficult for me to fight for the championship driving some unforgiving cars like these on those tracks.
    However, during the first 15 minutes or so we had a great battle, so I thank you for the nice duel, and I have to congratulate for your final position!
    At least I managed to collect a couple of points after a brutal comeback on Toudal and Williams and the fastest lap of the race. A very poor result considering I had the pace to fight with you and Jukka until the end of the race. I hope we'll have the chance to repeat this kind of epic battles in the next races chaps.
    Meanwhile grats to the solid defense of Jukka and to Tim, that completed the podium after an hard fight with Fabrizio!

See you at Bridgehampton guys :)

• Like Like x 3
  4. Laurent Londes

Laurent Londes Pro Driver

Qualifying went well, maybe I should have gone for an extra lap but didn't have enough fuel left for it.

At the start I slightly over-revved the engine and then dropped the revs too much before the lights went out. Not an ideal start but I only lost one place I think. At the stone bridge I had a big oversteer moment which I couldn't catch and went slightly into the bridge wall. Then on the next corner I got clipped from the back twice .. At this point I was getting quite frustrated. I continued and there was a massive pile-up on the next corner. Managed to go in between the cars. At the uphill part I was on the back of John trying to find a way past. I went along the outside of the last chicane and thought I had made the move but I squeezed him a bit and he hit my back wheel which sent me into a spin in the trees. I wasn't squeezing on purpose there. So, a lot of incidents for just the first lap .. A lap or two later I'm again on the back of John through the uphill part. But I clipped the lamp post by driving way too close to it. I really have to learn not to drive that close to the track limits (like I did on Feldbergring). Looking at the replay it is very close but I hit it. At first I thought I didn't have damage and continued for another lap but in the faster corners it became apparent my suspension was slightly broken. I drove back to the pits and retired. Congrats to Jukka and Louis for such a close battle and finish and also to Tim for a very good performance in the honda.

• Like Like x 1