rFactor 2 Round 3 Dijon Prenois

Discussion in 'G.E.A.R. Multiclass Endurance S2 - S397 Closed' started by John vd Geest, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Henri Miettinen

Henri Miettinen Pro Driver

The blue flag does not mean that the slower one should move aside just that second, but to let you past the next safe place. Straight line LMP2 can easily get past LMP3 and GTE cars.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Im a F1 (OW cars in general) fan, never saw a multiclass event. Just some news when its le man once a year, thats it. Thank you Henri

3. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

We all have to learn how stuff works André. No shame in that. This is how Multiclass racing works:

There is no blue flag rule for slower classes to let faster classes pass. The slower classes can stay on their racing line and drive as fast as they can. Even if the faster class is behind them. The faster class has the responsibility to get around and pass the slower class safely! They do not have to make it easy for you, but ... the slower and the faster class do have to work together to make things work.
    So in short: slower classes do not have to slow down or make room for the faster class and there is no blue flag rule for that.
    The LMP2 class is not more important because the're faster, they are just a different class with more responsibility.
    And it's up to you to pass slower classes who are doing their own race. You just have to drive around them within the track limits.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

Often, on racing sites like this, there are rules and regulations to be read.
    Then dont have to guess on raceday :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yes it did, thank you.
    Nonerheless, take a look at the video.
    At one time, when im lapping Pablo (i think) you can see very clearly that he does not respect the blue flag.
    But there is no escuse.
    I was not prepared and was called a cheater.
    I cant have that.
    For me this story ends here.

7. John vd Geest

The broadcast commentary was again outstanding thanks to Caitlin Penny and Mac Shepherd.
    But as you saw the technical quality wasn't that good. I'm working on a solution to get that fixed for next time.

I'm also open to a volunteer who has a strong CPU/internet connection to do the streaming for Caitlin and Mac as a third party. That would be greatly appreciated.
    Everything on how to stream will be explained to you.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Kahel Grahf

Kahel Grahf Pro Driver

No worries André, race reviews are here for a reason. I'm quiet glad it might come down to inexperience in multiclass race... but still, the way you were driving, you have to take some blame other than lack of experience.
    Like John said don't take it the wrong way, and instead take the positive side and continue to deliverl good competion but without forcing so much. The limits of the track and others around you.
    I don't think you came out as a cheater, some over-reaction here and there. But I think we should aim for a little better driving standard than that.

I was legit afraid, everytime you came by and was about to pass me... not a great feeling, at least it shouldn't be too hard to improve on that.
    Of course GTE will try to let you pass but we have a lot less downforce, we can't let you pass everytime at any spot, we risk losing controle, if we do.
    As a rule of thumb LMP should make most of their pass on corner exist or on straight. You only take the apex from a Slower car if we are side by side before braking... beside that a lot of different situation will come up but in endurance racing it's just faster to be safe in the long run.

So overall, you were driving wayyyyy too aggressive, and came out a bit unrespectfull.
    For example, my experience with you on track was very awkard you just were trying to force your way in every apex in which I was already going into, and since, in your mind you had to pass me wherever, you just cutt the track by a mile either inside or outside. Putting us both in danger. I'm surprised we didn't get into a crash.

Having said that hope too see again with a maybe a better risk management in mind.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Sorry for making your race harder than it should. Congrats on your win.
    BTW, how can one PM SRO's admins?

10. John vd Geest

Click on my avatar name and choose "start a conversation".

11. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

Yeah shit happens. I made a silly mistake got on the kerbs and they spat me off into the wall. Glad I didn't give up but it wasn't very enjoyable after that.

12. John vd Geest

13. Nigel Middleton

Nigel Middleton Administrator Staff Member Donator

Nice commentary Caitlin and Mac
    Can we see a bit more of the GTE battles if possible thanks :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Eric Moinet

Eric Moinet Pro Driver

Sort of a mixed bag for me, but for sure my best race so far in this league.

Q: Not very good, never had a free lap with optimum tyres and when eventually I got a free lap my tyres weren't optimum any more. Same old song again.

R: Fantastic first stint fighting with John for first position in class (sorry for the flashing lights btw, I thought it was a LMP2 rejoining track between us)
    I probably made my pit stop a couple laps too late and lost two positions because of that. Second stint was fantastic fighting with Tony for 2nd in class.
    And then ::RED ALERT:: ::RED ALERT:: ::NOT ENOUGH FULL IN TANK:: ::ONLY 1L LEFT:: (<- this means 1 litre, not one lap. See?)
    All my calculations were done and ok for 71 + 1 laps but that was just not enough with a race like that, fighting hard all time long.
    So I had to pit, add 4 litres of fuel and... What? New tyres? Oh no! Not again!!! Yes, again doomed by my wise strategy. (Maybe I need to fire my mechanics so they don't do that again)

Well... The good point is I've been fighting all race long with two great guys I never thought I could challenge one day back when I started. Kudos guys, and see you next race.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Caitlin Penny

Caitlin Penny Pro Driver Media Group

Thanks and of course! Well done for your race!

• Like Like x 1
  16. Caitlin Penny

Hey there guys. I am so sorry about the poor broadcast quality. I believed I had sorted it out before the race, because I joined several servers and everything was fine. I think it all just went to pot when I started streaming. I will do my best to improve it for next time.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Neil Tasker

Neil Tasker Pro Driver Donator

happy to test and try and help in anyway if possible

• Like Like x 2
  18. John vd Geest

Yeah, that was me. An LMP2 braked very late into T1 and got between me and the apex. So he overshot 2 meters and pushed me of the track into the gravel. I knew you were only 4 seconds behind me and I was just in time rejoining the track ahead of you.
    But ... big compliment for your speed Eric! I was under real threat of being overtaken by you for the whole first stint. Most of the time you were right on my tail. How about that slipstream party we had a couple of times. I was sooooooo lucky I had a GTE just in front of me to help stay ahead of you on the main straight LOL!!
    You did stay out too long. The gap Toni and me pulled on you was because of the fresher tires. You waited too long. Otherwise, you might have won ;)

• Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1
  19. Caitlin Penny

Hey there André. I'm really sorry if I made you feel like a cheater at all. That wasn't my intention. I understand that you didn't understand the rules and this was your first multiclass race, but as a commentator I have to take the race seriously and say what I see.
    Just because you accidentally broke the rules this time doesn't mean that you're a cheater, and I hope we see you back in the future. You have the pace, so I'd love to see you learn from your mistake and come back and enjoy racing with us next time or at least some time soon.
    Also, I must congratulate you on your strategy. That was very well executed.
    Wishing you well!

• Like Like x 1
    • Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1
  20. John vd Geest

That's what we all want. You have to call it as it is Caitlin. If you start censoring yourself, the broadcast is dead. Please don't change that. We like it hot and spicy :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. John vd Geest

André has asked us to delete his account.