Assetto Corsa Round 3 Donington 1938

Discussion in 'F1 Classic 1967 Series Closed' started by John vd Geest, Dec 4, 2018.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

[​IMG]

Pre-War racing

Donington Park motor racing circuit was the first permanent park circuit in England, which also ended the race circuit monopoly that Brooklands had held since 1907.

Fred Craner was a former motorcycle rider who had taken part in seven Isle of Man TT races, and was by 1931 a Derby garage owner and secretary of the Derby & District Motor Club. Craner approached the then owner of the Donington Hall estate, Alderman John Gillies Shields JP, to use the extensive roads on his land for racing.

The original track was 2 mile 327 yd (3,518 m) in length, and based on normal width unsealed estate roads. The first motor cycle race took place on Whit Monday, 1931. For 1933 Craner obtained permission to build a permanent track, with the original layout widened and sealed at a cost of £12,000. The first car race was held on 25 March, followed by three car meetings further that year. The first Donington Park Trophy race was held on 7 October 1933, and the 20-lap invitation event was won by the Earl Howe in a Bugatti Type 51.

[​IMG]
    Donington Park showing Spitfire sculpture and track (2005)
    In 1935 the first 300-mile (480 km) Donington Grand Prix was won by Richard "Mad Jack" Shuttleworth in an Alfa Romeo P3. In the 1937 Donington Grand Prix and 1938 Donington Grand Prix, the race winners were respectively Bernd Rosemeyer and Tazio Nuvolari, both in Auto Union 'Silver Arrows.'

The circuit at Donington Park was closed in 1939 due to World War II, when it was requisitioned by the Ministry of Defence and was converted into a military vehicle depot.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  2. John vd Geest

Demo lap:

• Like Like x 4
  3. Martyn McClune

Martyn McClune Pro Driver

can we have donington on the server please ? :)

4. John vd Geest

Server is up.

5. John vd Geest

No-shows:

The following No-shows have been taken out of the series:
    1. Alex Bonner
    2. Ramon Salles
    3. Simone Porcu
    4. Stefan Fritsche (not a no-show, but the same person as Fabrizio Ferrante)

6. Martyn McClune

First few laps in, really great track.
    It requires a good mixture of self restraint:oops: in the twisties and banzii on the fast section.:eek:

7. John vd Geest

Yes, it is a very nice track. I took to it when I downloaded it for the first time. Challenging layout and very pretty. And what to say about "THE JUMP" before the finishline.

I tried going over it at full throttle with a modern super car, just to see if I would fly into the pitlane. And I did :p. That would have been a pitlane speed penalty for sure :D.
    My pit crew would also have raised an eyebrow or two for that unconventional entry.

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Martyn McClune

The jump can easily end a race, it took me a few goes to get it right. The track is very scenic and I spent a fair bit of time admiring the scenery up close in my first outing.
    Ive been around Donington on my GSRX750 and came off at coppice . Glad there werent so many trees there then. Avatar is same bike on Knockhill but I sold it after that.
    I know I have a few seconds to lop off my lap time once I have another practice or two or three or..........:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  9. John vd Geest

Everyone should be aware of the long black & white curbstones on the right next to the pitlane. It's hard to see and if you touch it under braking, shit hits the fan :D.

10. Mauro Mariani

Mauro Mariani Pro Driver

update of my situation:
    I have a scheduled medical visit on Thursday. If results are positive, I hope to run

• Like Like x 3
  11. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

Im available on this race if there is spot to fill on grid.

12. John vd Geest

There are 2 spots right now. A Mclaren is free, and 1 guy left without giving notice. Still have to see who that was.

Edit: Darrel Kruger left. He had the BRM P83. So you can take the Mclaren of the BRM.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  13. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

alöskjflöaskfj well gimme a minute...half a lap per car...to the wall..

ill take that mclaren then :D

Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. John vd Geest

Noted, and .... good luck :D

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. Yusuf Macit

Yusuf Macit Pro Driver

I am wondering what is happening to no-shows..? If you are not going to join without any excuse why register in the first place? It's not like people are going to hate you because you could not or did not want to participate. It is possible, perhaps you wanted to do something more fun, or you were just lazy the entire week and did not feel like running that race, either way, just do an old wolf a favor and let John know about it, so his job is more convenient, and as racing drivers we will not be disappointed to see missing spots on the grid. Everyone is happy :)

Welcome, Toni, nice to see you here! :D

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
  16. Jukka Drugg

Jukka Drugg Pro Driver

Challenging track :)

17. Martyn McClune

I just cannot get on the pace with the BRM
    :confused:

18. John vd Geest

I don't want you to be unhappy :D. What car would you like then, besides the Eagle, Lotus and Ferrari.
    We already have 4 of those per class.

19. Martyn McClune

Sorry John I have tried everything I can think of and had some good advice from others but still struggling.

Can I have a honda please. It could easily be my driving that is slow but I wont know until I try another car under server conditions
    I promise not to moan again :D

20. John vd Geest

Done. You're now in a Honda :) Rob Milliken has to change it first on the server. Should be done by tomorrow.