Round 3 Horsma Raceway Trophy

Discussion in 'GPL Mclaren M2B Challenge Closed' started by John vd Geest, Sep 23, 2019.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Welcome to round 3 Horsma Raceway Trophy

A fantasy road course in northern Finland. Somewhat worn and not well maintained and as such the track surface is pretty bumpy. The track is fast-flowing and traditional so it is well suited for most cars. But the challenging old school nature makes it also tricky for modern fast cars.

This track is "on the edge of your seat" challenging, so that means that it's just about good enough for our series. :D

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
  2. John vd Geest

Server is up.

3. John vd Geest

Now how am I suppose to practise with Red Dead Redemption for PC coming out yesterday ... huh, huh?
    I can't show myself in public with several bounties on my head !! :p:D:p:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Laurent Londes

Laurent Londes Pro Driver

I wanted to buy it too but have so many games to play yet :) Busy with the Gears of War 5 campaign, The Surge, Dead Cells, still have to finish the last DLC of The Witcher 3 ... the list goes on. And I want to play The Outer Worlds that just came out too ! And then from time to time try to race as well :p

5. John vd Geest

Maybe it's in the sails bin by the time you have time for it :p

6. Laurent Londes

Probably ! Seen GTA V for 15 euro lately :eek:

How is RDR 2 so far ? I liked the first one and this one seems so much better..

7. John vd Geest

I don't know how it is yet. I'm still in chapter one. Looks good, plays nice, but it hasn't grown on me yet.

8. Christian Dauger

Christian Dauger Pro Driver

Hi,
    I just registered, I would like to try this race with you, the mod is fantastic ...:)

9. John vd Geest

Welcome to the series Christian :)

10. Caitlin Penny

Caitlin Penny Pro Driver Media Group

The race will be broadcasted live here, and I'm delighted to say that I finally managed to get the skin pack working. :)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Jukka Drugg

Jukka Drugg Pro Driver

no race password?

12. John vd Geest

• Like Like x 1
  13. Fabrizio Ferrante

Fabrizio Ferrante Pro Driver

Unfortunately, another disconnection, 3 disco in 3 races (at Montjuich it happened before the start).
    It's quite frustrating, I think I'll retire from the championship. I like the car and the tracks, but it is sad finish the races like this.

I watched the race in live streaming, very intense and exciting, nice job guys!

• Like Like x 2
  14. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

Brilliant game. Played on PS4 last year for 3 weeks solid. Couldn't leave the game alone. Now tempted to buy it on PC as there's additional content apparently. Have a rootin tootin time ;).

• Like Like x 1
  15. Laurent Londes

This was quite something ..

I had to go to the Netherlands for work today and just made it home right at the end of practice before qualifying. I had spent 4 hours in the car (real one) so I was a bit stressed. I had to still calculate the fuel needed for the race, so I managed to do 2 laps before qualifying started. Qualifying didn't go too well as I made mistakes and didn't push as hard as I could. Qualified P5. Then took off my VR headset, calculated the fuel needed for the race.. put my headset back on, dialed in the fuel, and didn't have enough time to put my racing gloves on, so I raced with them on my lap. Also didn't have time to enable the realtime app, so I had no idea who I was racing. Watched the stream to figure that out :)

I was behind Paul for the first part of the race, he did a good job. At some point I had an overtake opportunity and kept to the inside. I don't think I did anything wrong there but noticed on the stream you went off track, haven't watched the replay so if I pushed you off track I'm sorry, but don't think I did as you were already off. Then when Louis and Jukka came together I took the lead. Tried to push and that worked. Unfortunately I had a mis-shift going into T1, tried to get it back in gear but that locked my rears and sent me over the grass. Jukka and Tim got past. Then when Tim made a mistake I was able to get the position back. Then later on passing Dauger I did go too deep into the last corner and got sideways where Tim collected me. It was my fault, I misjudged my braking point when passing Dauger. There was no need to give the position back, so when he tried to attack me a few corners later I didn't try to defend my position. He then got past nicely into the next corner. Finished P3, all in all very fun race.

About the rankings on stream, I suppose my attempts at racing in rFactor2 also contribute to it.. didn't get VR to work well in rFactor2.

Congrats Jukka and Tim, it was a nice fight !

Last edited: Nov 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  16. John vd Geest

I'm just wondering how you guys liked this track. I know it's fictional, but in terms of quality and fun I think it's one of the best tracks of AC.

Epic broadcast after 15 minutes, it all kicked off there LOL!
    Well done Caitlin!

Grats to Jukka Drugg who had to win this of course, because it's a Finish track. I mean, come on ... that's mandatory :D

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Laurent Londes

I like the full layout best, that is something special for sure. Wouldn't go as far as saying it's one of the best of AC. It does not look as natural as other tracks.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

I can't believe I finished, let alone managed 2nd at the end of that!
    For those who want a laugh this is what my wheel looked like at the end of the race while driving straight..
    [​IMG]

Qualifying didn't go well, I pushed way too hard, too soon. And as a result crashed out of all but one flying lap - and even that one featured a really silly error that cost me some time (on top of the time I lost spinning at the end of the previous lap).
    At the start of the race I could see that I had speed over the cars in front while we were all cold and extra slidey, so I pushed to try and get up alongside 2nd. All fine until I part locked my inside front and fell off the track.

From there I had to push like crazy - I doubted I would re-catch the leaders, but knew I had to at least regain 3rd for the championship points.
    During this my wheel started to slowly loose centre again - It first did this at Deutchlandring and has done it a few other times, including last race at Montjuic.
    Tonight was by far the worst case though. Fabri thinks I may have a cracked encoder ring in my G25, but I noticed that the wheel seems to change if steering very quickly and the frame rates drop suddenly - which makes me think my pc is just struggling and can't keep up. This always seems to happen in locations that involve a lot of heavy wheel work, I don't think it happened at all in the 718's, and they all require a very smooth steering input so it might be that...
    Will take the wheel apart later to take a look!

Anyway, eventually I started to get a feel for the car again so pressed on back upto Laurent and Paul. I got lucky as Paul had an off, and then just as I was catching Laurent Jukka and Louis had their coming together which put me back in front of Jukka and in 2nd!
    When Laurent fell off a lap later I couldn't believe my luck :D
    Unfortunately I was still having to press on harder than I would have liked with the wonky wheel, and eventually made the mistake that let Jukka and Laurent back in front.
    I used the red mist to catch Laurent again but was having another 'moment' with my steering just before we hit, as I'd been concentrating more on not crashing myself I was actually unaware of whether I was to blaime or not so waited to be sure, I felt that Laurent was likely to try and keep me ahead if he felt I was being daft - which he did, so thank you.

Anyway, finished 2nd and over the moon to have managed it.

Well done Jukka and Laurent, that was some great battling through the race.
    Well done to all finishers and welcome to Christian, hope you'll stick around for more :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

I think it's a great track, been loving it since it was first released. For a fictional track it's incredible really, the guy should be building real tracks for a living!

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. John vd Geest

You could have won this without that mistake in T1. But all of the top 3 made mistakes, so you're in good company :)

• Agree Agree x 1