Round 3 Kyalami 76

Discussion in 'The DNF Series – Mclaren M23 Closed' started by John vd Geest, Feb 2, 2019.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

I know that, don't worry. They got that bit wrong. I know you as a good and fair driver. That is just said in the heat of the moment.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

These cars continue to be a blast to drive ! I was well off the leaders pace by some 2 sec's or so but the battles in the mid pack were fantastic ! the slightest mistake meant 2 to 3 places lost , attack/defend lap after lap .. rFactor 2(rFactor2.exe) Screenshot 2019.04.14 - 14.54.07.46.jpg

Going 3 wide into tun1 at max speed is a hair razing experience ! rFactor 2(rFactor2.exe) Screenshot 2019.04.14 - 15.10.36.09.jpg

Something had to give , all I saw was the 2 cars coming together in my mirrors rFactor 2(rFactor2.exe) Screenshot 2019.04.14 - 15.17.56.56.jpg
    Managed to keep the car in one piece and finish another round of the 75' F1 DNF ! lol rFactor 2(rFactor2.exe) Screenshot 2019.04.14 - 15.32.23.80.jpg See you on the next round .. a street circuit that allows the car to fly ! literally :eek::D ….

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

Good race with a good start.

Was very clear that John running 1 stopper with a lighter car. So no point racing him, just ignore and try to run solid 60minutes
    and see at the end how tactics work. And when he pitted, I knew i got this, if my left front lasts and if can keep Michal behind
    as he was following me whole 60minutes with the same pace. Great drive from him aswell.

Traffic was good yet again. Sometimes took abit longer but all in good manner and time nevertheless.

• Like Like x 5
  4. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

Finally survived the first lap without loosing my front wing. The extra nails and gaffer tape kept it attached. Found out that I was really slow down the straight and at the start I went from P6 to P10 in a couple of laps with people streaming passed me like I was driving a milk float. Someone tapped me coming onto the straight and tipped me into the wall. I managed to keep going forward but there was something broken at the front. Going down the straight I couldn't keep the car in a straight line. This got worse and worse. 10 minutes from the end I was battling the car. At the end of the straight it was almost getting away from me. I've never had so much FFB rattle and it really hurt my hands so I was willing the chequered flag to come out. Started P6 finished P6. Finally a good race but it was well tough on my hands and arms they are bloody sore this morning.

Well done to Toni :)
    Well done to those that finished :) and commiserations to those that didn't :(

The next track is awful. A very poor track. It was poor in rF1 and it's dreadful; in rF2. These kind of conversions give rF2 a bad reputation. Shame as the first 3 tracks have been superb. The jump at the start of the track is an invite for a massive pile up and lets face it previous rounds rather suggest there will be one. Surely there's better tracks available.

• Like Like x 1
  5. John vd Geest

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019
  6. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

I would vote for Historic Imola but this came as part of the Reiza bundle and not everyone will have bought it.
    Historic Spa is a great track.
    1975 Silverstone a great fast flowing track and bang on the time period

7. Kayo Michiels

Kayo Michiels Pro Driver

Please no historic Spa please, it wasn't used during those years, instead use historical Zolder (the one without the chicanes).

Anyways... my race wasn't great... miles off the pace and it was twitchy... I had some battles but that was it...

8. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams Pro Driver

Good start going from 7th on the grid to 3rd by T1.
    Then the fast guys made their way back past.
    Followed Roberto for much of the race around 2 sec back until he had an incident with another car.
    Start 7th, finish 4th isn't too bad :)

Not tried the next track so don't know of the issues. Haven't got the Reiza pack so wouldn't be there if Imola is selected
    I like '75 Silverstone, but this is DNF series, and that is a pretty easy track.
    Spa '66 however :eek::eek: but not the correct era for these cars.
    Rouen would be another good track for these, but again from the 60s

• Like Like x 3
  9. John vd Geest

I selected Bremgarten just because it's a DNF track, but also very exciting. It's within the spirit of this series.
    If you guys want a better looking DNF track, you should vote for Spa 66 or Rouen 55.

10. Jens Roos

Jens Roos Pro Driver

Q was pb and close grid. Race ended lap 1 after a fellow racer made a optimistic overtake attempt at the apex of T2 and sent me into the barrier :(
    After repair it was just doing the laps and ended P15.

Regarding the next round, Bremgarten maybe not a beautiful track and not right era, but still a interesting layout and a high DNF potential :D
    Brianza (Monza) is nice but is kind of "easy" as well, but Rouen Les Essarts and Spa have good DNF factor.
    Could be good options as we haven't been in the correct time frame on all tracks anyway.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bill Grewcock

Bill Grewcock Pro Driver

Rouen is an interesting track and would look good in the broadcast.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Philipp Pichler

Philipp Pichler Pro Driver

I would also drive in Bremgarten, although Paul is not wrong about it :p
    If we look at the right era, the Nordschleife would be just right, but I have no idea if there is a good rf2 version. Same for Mosport or the old Zandvoort. My dream would be to drive in Solitude but I gues these suggestions are not useful.
    So Rouen or Silverstone would be also ok. What surprises me that nobody suggested the Monaco 1966 track, that would be a proper DNF too lol. Even though I hate the track (Maybe I should have been quiet then )

• Like Like x 2
  13. Eric Moinet

Eric Moinet Pro Driver

My F1 début here (Grand Prix 3 on keyboard doesn't count, right?)
    I had a hell of a week IRL so didn't have time to make a half-decent setup for the car and was still tweaking it when John said "Qualy in 3 mn" :confused:

Qualy was okay-ish.
    Get stuck at the start because of a last check on grid, just to be sure my mechanics wouldn't give me wet tyres if i had to pit, and lost a bunch of places in the process. Regained said lost places in the early laps, but my FL was already dead after 10 laps, so I was on Safe Mode from there to the finish line. Last 10 laps or so were awful with the front train vibrating so much to the point it was hard to keep control of the car in straight line. P9 in the end, not too bad for a first time I guess.

========

Because of real life I probably won't be able to make the next one.
    That said, if you're looking for DNF tracks of the era I'd suggest (in race order) Montjuich, Zolder, Monaco, Anderstorp, Zandvoort, Nordschleife and Watkins Glen, or those not raced that year: Dijon, Brands Hatch or Mosport. I don't know if all exist in rF2 but most of them didn't change too much from that era.
    But maybe changing a track with a one week notice prior to the race is not the best thing to do ?

• Like Like x 1
  14. John vd Geest

15. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

Sorry John wasn't really suggesting a change of venue. Probably best to stick with the track. I was just voicing my opinion. Others may have sated practicing so unfair to change tracks at this late stage

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. John vd Geest

I don't want to change it, but I won't force it on you guys if there is no interest for Bremgarten.

17. Marc Brink

Marc Brink Pro Driver

• Like Like x 2
  18. Martyn McClune

Martyn McClune Pro Driver

Hi
    Got stuck behind someone who fluffed start. As I moved over to pass I collected and tangled wheels with Norman Bruce. Really sorry Norman I should have stayed behind the slow car. Wheels tangled and we both went into barrier. I lost my front wing and had to do the rest of the lap until pit stop for repairs. I was lapped while in the pits and when I left the car was feeling ok . My setup was too tough on tyres so just struggled with lap times and spin outs. The car felt really different in race, not in a good way, than it did in practice
    Again sorry to Norman for my error on the start:(
    I dont know what to do to go fast as I just cannot seem to balance the car setup and be totally happy with how my wheels and pedals feel , I qualified last again so was a little dissapointed as I had put a good amount of practice in. Anyhow I will persist and hope to have a eureka moment some time soon
    Cyas at the next track:cool:

• Like Like x 2
  19. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams Pro Driver

Just tried it, it is definitely a DNF track :eek:
    Providing everyone practices, and knows you have to slow right down for the 'jump' it shouldn't be too much of an issue.
    Prob still have a pile up there on lap 1 though :rolleyes:

20. Mauro Mariani

Mauro Mariani Pro Driver

• Like Like x 2