Round 3 Lausitzring GP - Thu Oct 29, 2020

Discussion in 'Assetto Corsa league: DRM mod Closed' started by John vd Geest, Sep 5, 2020.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

I was too late on cold brakes. That's correct. No need to protest me as I'm already taking a drive-through for the next event on my own initiative.

• Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 4
  2. John vd Geest

That's correct. Only the drivers directly involved in an incident can protest. With the exception of seeing drivers driving counter course, wrecking, road rage ect.

3. Ted Hough

Ted Hough Pro Driver

And what about Jari? Since I'm the 3rd or 4th car in line that got tagged, am I allowed to report for a penalty, or no? Sorry, I'm not trying to be prickly, I genuinely just want to know.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams Pro Driver

As an admin here, knowing you scr**ed up on that T1 incident, why did you not take a self imposed DT in the event within 3 laps as per the SRO rules?

5. John vd Geest

Well, if you got tagged, then you're directly involved.

6. John vd Geest

Because I hit a pile that was already messed up. At the time I viewed it as a lap one racing incident. Watching the replay later and seeing that I only made it worse, I decided to do the right thing.

7. Kimi Martikainen

Kimi Martikainen Pro Driver

Why we just don't use tyre warmers, it's so hard to estimate how brakes & tires bite at 1st corner just after you done quali laps with slicks.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams Pro Driver

Looking at the onboard, as Kiril says, you were never making that corner.
    How do the admins expect all of the other racers to follow the 'punt - do a self imposed DT', if the admins don't bother with the rules themselves?

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Ted Hough

Ted Hough Pro Driver

This combined with the "You can't report incidents you aren't directly involved in" rule both put an extremely sour taste in my mouth.

I can literally watch an admin annihilate one of my closest championship competitors - who let's say I wanted to have a close clean fight with - just as Mac did earlier this season. And then when we go to report it we're told "You can't report an incident you aren't directly involved in".

I know it might not be the intention of the rules being the way they are. But it makes it appear like a mechanism to protect low driving standards from the Administration team.

In all the real-life racing I've done, anybody can protest anybody else for any supposed rules infraction, as long as they're willing to pay the equipment fee for the protest (Like for example if it's a Dyno-pull in a power-capped series). That's exactly how you properly ensure all racers are racing to the same standards and keeping everybody else on the circuit honest.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. John vd Geest

Because I viewed it as a lap1 first corner racing incident at the time. I hit cars that were already all over the place. I'm taking a drive-through for it on my own. Cool?

11. John vd Geest

Well ... you can't. Protests have to be made by the drivers directly involved.
    What gives me a sour taste in my mouth is that you accuse me of low driving standards. So I make one mistake in the series and now I'm a driver with low standards?
    I have given myself a drive-through penalty because I read the situation wrong at the time as a lap 1 incident. I made a mistake. I don't know what else I can do?

• Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. Ted Hough

Ted Hough Pro Driver

I'm not specifically saying to you. It's just that I and my teammate have both seen people get punted that we were unable to report who deserved penalties this season, plus at turn one and the first 3-5 laps here at the Lausitsring there were 2-3 drivers who all clearly deserved penalties I would not be able to report. No series I've ever been in operates that way - and for good reason.

"If you see something, say something" should be the rule.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  13. John vd Geest

If you want to say something, then mail the person who is the victim and advise him to protest. You can't do it for him. He hasn't given you permission to be his advocate. Maybe he doesn't even want to protest?

14. Ted Hough

Ted Hough Pro Driver

To be honest, I don't really care what the victim thinks. It's a racing series with specific rules. The rules should be applied to everybody whenever possible. I'd like to see the racing cleaned up and would protest every shady or sketchy thing I saw that I thought needed to be protested. Especially if I can get somebody else who isn't a clean driver penalized or ejected to the betterment of the racing standards.

Right now I just have to sit there and helplessly watch some of the lower-level drivers in the series shove people off on straightaways fighting Div 2 drivers while they're in a Div1 car and it's appalling.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. John vd Geest

You are absolutely right. That behaviour should not be tolerated by the person involved and he should submit a protest.

16. Ted Hough

Ted Hough Pro Driver

Ok John, if this is the hill you want your racing series to die on, So be it.

I can tell you won't listen because you don't see the problem, so I'll just go and win this championship and punt people off as much as I like the way half of your drivers do and keep my fingers crossed they aren't upset.

This is just the "OH man, that guy who just got stabbed in the street should call the police if he needs an Ambulance, I won't do it for him" argument.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Kimi Martikainen

Kimi Martikainen Pro Driver

Ted, I think you make too big number this 1st corner accident, theres always been and will be those from time to time. Second thing, this series is open for drivers with any skill. With these cars are really hard on early laps so bit understanding would be nice, I'm sure no one mess up on purpose anyway.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Ted Hough

Ted Hough Pro Driver

I'm not upset about the Turn 1 incident. I had a flawless victory in this race even when I got caught up in it. And if I had dodged it; I would have dominated even harder.

I'm not even upset at all. I just like it when racing series are run the correct way. The current system is lazy. I want the lower skill drivers to clean up their act or go elsewhere, frankly, because the racing from 15th on back is frankly appalling and I'd like to be able to protest the 3-5 punts I see a race that never get protested. At a certain point "Drivers at different levels" stops being an excuse.

Consistent rules application and letting everybody protest whatever they see so some of the racing gets cleaned up and people who deserved penalized actually get penalized would be a great start. I don't care if it's your 1st race or 1000th race with SRO, if you can't race cleanly you deserve to have the book thrown at you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  19. John vd Geest

Punting people left and right would classify you as a wrecker and under those circumstances outside parties would have a right to protest you.
    What do you mean "my drivers"?

20. Ted Hough

Ted Hough Pro Driver

I can really tell that you don't understand the point I'm making if this is what you're taking from my example.

Do you just not want to look at more Protests? Why is it that you're against running your series better? You're to give me an intelligent counter-argument.

I fail to see what SRO loses from letting the drivers open up the protests and protest the things that they see out on the circuit even if they're not involved. You have the ability to ignore duplicates if something gets protested too many times and it opens up the Stewards to cleaning up some things that people may be too nervous or self-conscious to protest because they're unaware of the process or uncomfortable doing so. The racing gets cleaner, people get penalities for things they've done wrong. Everybody wins.

If it's about workload; I have my stewarding Cert for NASA, a US amateur racing organization, and would *gladly* take a look at any incidents I'm not involved in if you open the protest systems and get flooded.

I just see absolutely zero negatives from my suggestion in terms of the leagues success and driving standards.