Assetto Corsa Round 3 Macau Guia

Discussion in 'Mazda MX-5 Asian Cup Closed' started by Ken Jagger, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Laurent Londes

Laurent Londes Pro Driver

I have a cold.. I was going to race but not feeling it really. Have a good one!

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Alex Bonner

Alex Bonner Pro Driver Donator

Great race guys. Couldn't esc to pits at the end. I decided to fuel save half way, I ended up 1/2 a lap short. Had to pit from 1st on last lap. :mad:

• Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. James Bird

James Bird Pro Driver

Great racing guys. Paul Ansty what a battle mate, nice one :D. I had to do a splash and dash in the end.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1
  4. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

Qualy was a disaster. Went out with a full tank so had to pit at the end of the out lap. Then I hit the wall on my first flying lap and did a half spin. Got in the way of James' lap as it wasn't easy to get going again. Sorry about that. Because of the spin I missed the chance of getting in another lap so I did a lap well over 3 minutes putting me flat last. At Macau that means a tough race.

At the start there was a big accident I think due to a car lagging badly. It seemed to disappear and then reappear right in the middle of a few cars which all proceeded to go in all directions. I managed to tiptoe through. Begin chasing James and we had an excellent battle for a number of laps. Exchanging places a number of times. Great racing James. I really enjoyed that. I finally got in front of James and put in some great laps (for me) whilst James pitted. I did a great pit stop (usually loose a tonne of times in the pits) and got out 8 seconds in front of James. Finished 5th. Not bad from flat last. :)

Well done to Tim and the other pods :)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

Qualifying was close :D
    I had a phone call from my G/F who was dogsitting and couldn't get sound from the TV in the house she was in. Naturally I was expected to use magic and fix this...
    By the time I got off the phone I'd missed nearly 3 minutes of qualifying, leaving only 2 laps to get a time.
    I was very happy with my 1st lap as I had been pretty cautious to ensure it was clean, the 2nd lap had a few sketchy moments but also ended up clean and put me about half a centimeter ahead of Alex!

Lap 1 of the race was a battle of restraint, I knew from practice that pushing hard on cold tires will almost certainly end in a wall. This plus a mistake or 2 put Alex really close behind me by the end of the lap - luckily Macau is bloody hard to pass at!
    I think we must have spent the best part of half an hour going absolutely flat out, me trying to maintain a gap while Alex did what he could to close it - with some fluctuation the gap stayed at around 2 seconds for ages until Alex made a mistake somewhere an it opened to more like 5.
    I think it must have been a lap or 2 later that he switched tactics to fuel saving - at the time I had thought he'd had a nasty accident and damaged the car, although watching the replay it's quite obvious when he changes driving style.
    Despite Alex slowing I pressed on at full attack - fuel saving from halfway would leave me in a state where actually fighting anyone who caught me would be impossible so I stuck to my splash and dash strategy.

I must admit I lost more time in the pits than I was expecting, as Alex was nearly 9 seconds ahead when I rejoined. But as he was having to save fuel hard to make up for the earlier flying pace I was now catching him at well over 3 seconds a lap, even if he hadn't been forced to pit on the final lap I was pretty confident I could pass him unless he had a jerrycan hidden in the passenger seat :D

Well, that was a hugely enjoyable race and track, well done to Kiril on a strategy induced 2nd, and bad luck to Alex on 3rd.
    Thanks to the lapped drivers I caught, you were all brilliant and made getting through as easy as it would ever be here :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. Alex Bonner

Alex Bonner Pro Driver Donator

Well played Tim.

I did take a lot of front end body damage (as I expected) but it had little to no effect on my corner speed. Not really sure if it effected my top end as I was trying to fuel save. Another case of not doing enough practice. If I had known the fuel was that close I could have adjusted my driving from the start.

7. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

Yep that's what happened and I was the filling in the Upham/Brown sandwich :(

• Like Like x 1
  8. Paul Upham

Paul Upham Pro Driver

Yeah, I am not sure what happened to Phil. I had a good start and was going to take the outside into the fast right hander and all of a sudden I was in to the wall. Luckily damage is 50% so was able to keep going. Reviewing the replay, it looks like Phil's car disappeared and then reappeared as he spun in to Ken sandwiching him in to me driving me in to the wall. For once it was not my fault. lol

9. Phil Brown

Phil Brown Pro Driver Donator

Maybe my connection caused the problem,l don't know, apologies if that was the case, my replay shows all cars warping like crazy at the first corner and for most of the opening lap

10. Paul Upham

Paul Upham Pro Driver

No Problem, LOL. All the other cars were visually normal and yours kept dropping back then warping ahead. Definitely a connection problem for you, for the first lap. All good after that.