rFactor 2 Round 3 S397 Nurburgring - Sun Oct 10, 2021

Discussion in 'DTM 1991 Series Closed' started by John vd Geest, Jul 8, 2021.

1. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

Interesting ..I've only had Logitec wheels and it always worked for me ... It remembers my custom settings as well.. go figure ..:eek::rolleyes:

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

@Johnny Gutierrez little slide.
    Funny is I put 1 click more to rearwing to race, but maybe it was the reason. Too much wing!
    Lower wing would have been looser and not to that.
    Dont know how you guys drive these anyhow. I mean for me to competitive, seems I have to go full TokyoDrift. And with my commitment to racing whole year, consistency aint there.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

LOL, you don't need to do that. Most guys have figured out by now that on most tracks the gear setting should be on "long".
    It gives you better balance on coasting when lifting the throttle and also some artificial traction control (for the Mercedes and BMW at least).

Anyway, had an eventful race with Chris in the first part of the race. Was saving the tires a bit when I was behind him, but when it looked like they would hold till the end, the fight was on. Had a moment with Chris when he was out of balance after turn 1. I thought I could overtake him as he was too wide to the right, but he came back and we hit each other.
    Waited for him to get going again, but meanwhile Jos and someone else overtook us both. Overtook Chris again in the hairpin, but he didn't accept that lying down and came back in the chicane. Don't know what happened after that to Jos and Chris. They both fell back behind me during the race.
    Fourth place was all to be had anyway, because the top 3 were too fast for me.

See you all in the next round.

• Like Like x 3
  4. I took a pit stop! Good fight though John…….I didn’t make contact with you at the chicane did I……I didn’t think I had?:(

• Like Like x 1
  5. John vd Geest

We sure did. You did a Monza Hamilton on me. But it's oke. ;)

6. Really sorry John, I wasn’t aware of any contact:(

• Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1
  7. Gert-Jan van Osch

Gert-Jan van Osch Pro Driver

It has been about 6 months since my last simrace... Last month I finally bought a new PC with descents specs at a reasonabl price which I am still setting up. I was curious what the my level would be... I am still trying to find the sweetspot with the Mercedes but I got the setup reasonably okay to keep pushing and to be able to catch it. Found out that these cars are very sensitive to kerbs and surface changes, so I think there is still some work left in the differential setup.

After qualifying I thought I got pole 0.001s ahead of Johnny but Toni was still in a hot lap and het got it by a few tenths in the end. I still have to get used to those two file starts not to jump it when 2nd on the grid, but I got swarmed by the guys on row two. After the twisty bits with a bit of paint trading I found my self in 3rd following Toni and Johnny.

I was aggressive in the chicane in the beginning of the lap but it got me a cut track warning early on in the race so I took less risk there which cost me some time. I was not able to follow the leaders and ended up in third place. My strategy was not to take too much fuel and pit relatively early. I was in eight after my pitstop. I heard the crew chief tell me Johnny pitted twice so I knew he was behind me.

Dmitry and I were side by side at the first turn and I could not hold off Dmitry in the end. I think we were both on the limit and our cars had different strong point at different parts of the track so I could keep up with him, but did not have sufficient overspeed to make a pass in the end.

I am glad with 2nd and my consistency in the race and hope to CU all back on track in more races to come.

• Like Like x 5
  8. Jos Ogos

Jos Ogos Pro Driver

A decent race at Nurburgring with the M3 DTM 91 for me...
    Lacking pace though compared to the top 3 (congrats to the podiums!) (and disappointed for not matching @John vd Geest's pace)... After being behind him in all practice sessions, the few milliseconds difference at qualy gave me hopes that we would be fighting (as it's been so far the case in previous races) from beginning to end... I couldn't be more wrong. He disappeared soon and I had no response at all. Not happy about that :mad::oops:.
    The battle with @Jens Roos was a great replacement though and I had good fun for most of the race. It would have been a challenging fight to the end had he not been subject to the drive-through... Sorry for that.
    I must find a better setup for the car soon.
    I leave the video of the race here: (at least this time rf2 didn't crash on me!)

Jos

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  9. Gert-Jan van Osch

Gert-Jan van Osch Pro Driver

Hey Jos, always great to watch those videos you make... As you already noticed you burn up your tyres... I think your suspension is or ARBs are too stiff because I see hardly any roll in the car. I did not drive the M3 so I do not know its characteristics. My tyre temps are all well below 100C except when I brake really hard into a corner. At the end of the race my tyres are still at 80% or so a lot less wear on them. Good luck in finding a better setup.

• Like Like x 2
  10. John vd Geest

I messed up in the qualy Jos. I was 7 tens ahead on my best time and then screwed it up coming out of the last corner. I was very lucky you didn't go a little faster haha.
    But .... it was nice to be in front of you for once :p.
    Thanks for the video. Good series promo.

• Like Like x 1
    • Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1
  11. Mark Hightree

Mark Hightree Administrator Staff Member Donator

Thanks again for the video, Jos. Always fun to watch you drive. Enjoyed some good battles going on in front of me. I was too conservative with my tires and should have been pushing harder. Had some good laps racing Chris at the end. I cut the track one too many times at the chicane and got a drive thru with two laps remaining. Really looking forward to the Nordschleife event. Awesome mod. Love the way the cars drifted through turns at this track.

• Like Like x 3