rFactor 2 Round 3 Sebring Studio 397

Discussion in 'Studio 397 LMP2 & GT3 Endurance Series Closed' started by John vd Geest, May 3, 2019.

1. Robert Waddell

Robert Waddell Pro Driver

Enjoyed it despite some early problems.

• Old Old x 1
  2. Barrett Erickson

Barrett Erickson Pro Driver

Well, you did hit someone Michael. After watching the replay, i figured you just lost the rear at an awkward moment, hit the wall, then me. A racing incident.

But now reading your comment...

If you're referring to me as one of the "3 drivers" who "opened the inside then close the door", i think you need to review the replay and re-visit your IMSA videos.

You won't see many IMSA proto drivers dive-bombing GT cars from 2-3 car-lengths back _after_ they've started their turn-in to a very on-the-edge corner where they're going to need the entire track width. And i'll take this opportunity to say you're not the only one doing this kind of thing in this series. My Jerez race was ruined by a similar move.

[When JvG is racing, he usually covers this shit :).]

I did see that developing, however, and altered my line as much as i could to give you room, which i believe was sufficient. Unfortunately, you lost the rear, hit the wall and then hit me.

I had a 2 second lead in class going into that corner, but came out of it in 3rd, about 3 seconds behind Jens.

In recovery mode i pitted as soon as i saw i may have an opportunity for several laps of free air, but pressed too hard and made too many mistakes during those laps. I gained nothing, but Jens did some real magic with his strategy.

And since i'm in this mode, i'll comment on the last lap. Once again, a faster car, racing nobody at that point, decided to interfere with a hotly contested race for position in a lower class without any reason. Please, people, i don't care how fast you are, if you are "safe" or so far behind as to be unable to improve _your_ position, don't interfere with someone else's race in the closing laps. Have a bit of respect.

It has been a very frustrating series for me.

But all that crap aside, i had enormous fun racing with Roberto and Jens today (grats again, Jens, you deserved it!).

Sorry for Toni's disco. Looked like he was going to run away with it.

b

• Like Like x 4
  3. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

It's still a good investment, SRO will, without a doubt, do many more races on this track in other series (not only endurance). You will get your investment back and then some :)
    A high quality, to the centimeter scanned Sebring. That's enough to make any simracer drool.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Henri Miettinen

Henri Miettinen Pro Driver

My battles

• Like Like x 4
  5. Michael LaBelle

Michael LaBelle Pro Driver

Barrett, I have put enough hours in GT cars to understand your point and I am slow enough to have to deal with dive bombing Protos. Racing is sort of making decisions at gun point where you just hope to survive. I hope I did not interfere with your race too gravelly.

Before the race I was watching, The 6 Hours at the Glen and was paying particular attention to how the protos where handling traffic. The truth is they pass on every corner of the track. While watching, I saw contact a number of times between the P2s and GT cars and this is to say, “sh*t happens”.

No matter how grumpy I am at times I still thank you all for showing up to compete and for having a place to do it.

Cheers

• Like Like x 2
  6. Michael LaBelle

Michael LaBelle Pro Driver

Is there a replacement plugin for the track line along the bottom that works with rF2. I find that as I approach slower cars and look at the track map thingy the cars are all on top of each other. This does not help when you look to check who you are about to pass.
    Thanks

7. Darrel Kruger

Darrel Kruger Pro Driver

I thought all the LMP cars passed appropriately, except for PR. I have seen crazy drivers, he is the worst, is it legal to drive off track to pass?
    My other comment is it possible to post the race track temperature in the opening forum, and it changes from track to track.

8. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Personally I had no issues, some were very good as I caught a few into the final turn and they backed off early and took a wider line which was good of them. It's very tough to pass through there two wide due to the bumps, it is possible though.

I always try and be smart in traffic and sometimes brake earlier into a corner and get a faster exit and pass then, as you say trying to dive through under braking from three car lengths back is always risky and if the lower classes are in the middle of a battle, they most likely will not see us. I always assume that they don't know I'm there and to make the pass cleanly.

I didn't lose much time and the gap to 1st (after Henri pitted) stayed more or less the same, he pulled away occasionally because I simply made the odd small error, bit wide over a kerb, etc.

I think the only real danger is if someone is having a really rough day of it and is all over the track, you then can't predict where they'll be at each corner, so I just try and pass on the straight for those! lol :)

One day SRO will put the damage on full 100%, you certainly learn to be careful when that's set on :D

• Like Like x 3
  9. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

There is this, but as usual with any plugin, use at your own risk. Seems ok with the DX11 version of the game but you have to run it in windowed mode, etc.

Looks great though I will admit.

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/rfactor-2-hud-simhub.18132/

10. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

5:15 that was a close call with that tirewall when you got boxed in :)
    7:56 Great move Henri! You were waiting for your moment and took it as soon as it came. Nice! Shame you couldn't explore it further by pulling away right after because of the GT3 in front.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ricardo Gomes

Ricardo Gomes Pro Driver

Well, I had some fun! It's been a while since my last race here at SRO...
    But I just had to drive at Sebring ;)
    Qualy: The speed was there, still i think i could have made a better qualy. I wans't able to lower the time.
    Race: I still think my fuel and tyre strategy was wrong.
    Went with Mediums, never changed tyres and I drove the entire race on boost 1 (it was the only way to end the race with just one stop).
    It paid off, but it took the fun out of the race just a bit.
    In my battles with Henri, specially on the 2nd Stint, boost 1 and used mediums, there was nothing I could to defend.
    Won't be doing that again...

• Like Like x 2
  12. Karl Steeg

Karl Steeg Pro Driver

i had the same thing happen to me

13. Xavier Eugeni

Xavier Eugeni Pro Driver

Sadly some late familiar issues allowed me to race just for an hour. Anyway had a blast, although most of the time I was the typical "solo" moment (losing time from the guys in front and gaining aginst the ones rear me). Love this track. S397 nailed it.
    Let's move to turkey, amazing layout again. :)

• Like Like x 1
  14. Eric Moinet

Eric Moinet Pro Driver

Apologies Henri. I wasn't aware I hit you, I thought I spun on my own by braking too hard. I was surprised to see you behind me and assumed you too spun on your own. Obviously I was plain wrong (and hence I was still fighting for position with you)

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. Barrett Erickson

Barrett Erickson Pro Driver

Thanks, Michael.

From my perspective, our's was more of a miscommunication than anything else. We've shared tracks enough that i don't feel threatened when you're around :). Just felt i needed to clarify the view from my cockpit if you were thinking i'd turned down into you.

• Like Like x 1