Round 3 | Silverstone

Discussion in 'G.E.A.R. Multiclass Endurance Closed' started by John vd Geest, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Lance Link

Lance Link Pro Driver

Great fun guys. Finally finished a race. Congrats to Cody for his first SRO win and first for the team. Good clean racing for me out there.

Carl, bad luck man. I saw the off, couldn't tell if you got in the wall but apparently some bad contact.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Cody Eby

Cody Eby Pro Driver

That was quite the race! Congrats to all those who finished on the podium in their respective classes, and well done to all race finishers. Huge congrats and thanks to my teammate Lance as well.

Carl, you had quite the good start and I was worried that Lance and I wouldn't catch you. Very unfortunate that you went off and apparently took some heavy damage as you were in the pit for quite some time. When Lance and I decided to pit for the wet tires we didn't slow down enough before pit entry and we both wound up getting stop & go penalties. We thought our chances of a 1-2 finish were long gone but somehow we still managed to pull it off.

I want to say what a great job the LMP2 drivers did working through traffic. There were a few times I thought approaching faster cars were going to attempt overtaking in some questionable spots, but I held my racing line and they waited for a better opportunity to go around. Some really great multi-class racing by everyone today.

Time to get practicing for the next event as I am not very familiar with COTA so I have a lot of work ahead of me. Thankfully we won't have to contend with any more rain for the remaining races. Looking forward to the next race in a couple weeks!!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Pablo Finotti

Pablo Finotti Pro Driver

That was an interesting race, very close... in the first 20 laps, the top 5 in GTE was less than 10 secs apart. That said, it was another poor outing from me, I was really struggling when the track got "flooded".

Q: Should have been better, lost all my best laps because of mistakes at Copse, had to lift in order not to cut the track. I was loading the front left a bit too much, resulting in excessive understeer. Something 7 or 8 tenths better was perfectly doable, but it was OK.

R: While the track was dry, everything was under control. Didn't really have straight line speed to try to pass anyone, but the car was feeling pretty decent overall.

While the track was still "mildly" wet, the performance was very good and I was able to keep the gap to Cody and Lance stable in 4-6 secs, but as the track got wetter, the car getting worse and worse, due to the way I set up my car. I like the car to "rotate" fast, I don't care much about mid corner speed, so the rear end is very loose at mid/exit corner and the car oversteers a lot at corner entries. That combo proved fatal for me as the track got wetter. I couldn't barely keep the car on track. I think I was the slowest car on track for about 5 or 6 laps, by a fairly great amount.

In this period a few incidents happened. As a yellow BMW (?) tried to discount a lap on me, I defended the inside line and a contact with Bart happened, resulting in Jerry passing us. I'm sorry for that, you were on my blind spot and I didn't really see you coming on the inside and took my normal line, because I didn't want to crash the car on the outside line. I had an incident with a Gulf Porsche too, when I was trying to lap it. I thought I had already passed you before the corner, since I approached that second hairpin with a bigger momentum, but again your car lied on my blind side and I could have made a judgement mistake on that situation. At least I saved a spin, but that costed all the gap to Jerry and Bart.

Anyway, that was a good, exciting race, lots of battles.
    Well deserved for Lance and Cody, and good, safe drive for the P2's.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Jerry Chen

Jerry Chen Pro Driver

Good battles with Johnny and Nigel in first stint. I pitted just as it started to rain so was able to put on wets right away. Good timing because it was like an ice rink with rain tires, it must have been undriveable on softs.

Then had a fun time battling with Pablo and Bart for the rest of the race. The water spray was crazy off the back of the car, I literally couldn't see anything a couple of times following another car into the braking zone. That was very cool.

[​IMG]
    Working the brakes hard into Vale, pressuring Johnny
    [​IMG]
    Johnny and I both on full lock into the Village complex
    [​IMG]
    Chasing Bart and Pablo
    [​IMG]

Um ... not sure where I should turn in for Vale since I can't see the apex, so I had to take the wide line. Meanwhile Bart goes for a swim in the puddles as he gets a bit too deep.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

Q On my best lap I was .6 down in 1st sector from my own lap so session could have gone better.

R At start with damp track just took easy and gradually increased my pace to make it safe.
    Then came pits and didnt change tyres. Didnt realize it swaps those while fueling up I guess? Still not sure how it goes :p
    Finally rain came into play. Couple laps were not so fun with slicks but had to see how much it will pour down on us to get correct tyres.
    Pace was fantastic on wet compared to others. Didnt have to push at all and still doing very good. Shortshifting low gears and just taking it easy.
    Had 2 little contacts on blind lefthander at 1st sector. Just coulnt tell if another car is there or not.
    And ofc i hit Johnny. He spun in front of me and had to choose quick left or right. Chose wrong.

Is there somesort of TC set? Race settings said"low".. couple times it felt like it got into play and fxxx up turning of the car.

great race

6. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Well done to the podium finishers and everyone who took part. Shame we still have so many no-shows but the grid was a good size and the quality was good as well.

I need to drive the Oreca more because I need to understand it's character (if that makes sense). At the moment, the car is understeering badly with me and I'm finding getting the front of the car into the corners a really tough, turn one wasn't so bad, Copse was awful and so was Stowe. So I need to work on getting the car to be more pointy on turn in, it's just scrubbing wide all the time. I'm normally quite consistent but my lap times were all over place. 1m 50s was my best which wasn't bad but most were in the 52's and 53's so not great.

Like John I fell foul of penalties as well, nothing deliberate (again the car wouldn't turn in for me) but I ran wide at Copse a few times and picked up I think four or five 10 second Stop/Go penalties.

Otherwise all ok, all pits stops were fine, my only mistake was adjusting the pit menu on the way in (selecting wets) and overshot my pit box.

Traffic was really good, I did catch a few right in the middle of Becketts but just waited for the next opportunity to pass. I did have a moment with a GTE car on the old start/finish straight, sorry I thought you saw me coming alongside and then you started moving over, side on contact so hopefully there wasn't any damage. Do I get bonus points for taking out a full set of bollards? lol.

Anyway, got to the end and that was the goal, I just need to figure out a good base setup. At the moment this car is no fun at all, lol :)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Paulo Lima

Paulo Lima Pro Driver

Internet problems .. could not join practice or qualification.
    Joined on the warm up, but had some many lag that i managed to destroy my wing on formation lap
    Car became slow.. with repairs during so many time i hitted the esc key

:(

8. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

That is sad. Tough luck my friend. Hope it will be better next time.

9. Andrew Harper

Andrew Harper Pro Driver

Bad luck my friend. Fingers crossed the next race is ok for you.

I didn’t have internet problems but I did have some performance issues. Nothing too bad but some stuttering and screen tearing which is unusual for me. I have found though that the extra detail that the recent s397 cars have does have something to do with it. The URD and Enduracer cars for example seem to be kinder to my system. No big deal though :)

10. Bart Slobodzian

Bart Slobodzian Pro Driver

I've not much to say about this race, really quite dissapointed in my result too, I should of finished better. Oh well theres more races to come...
    From the very beginning of the race to approx lap 15 I was keeping pace with Lance, Cody but found it difficult to get any more than that I think we was quite evenly matched.
    Come lap 16 it was like my car performance just dropped right off and I notice by my engine temps where really low too, maybe I had spiking pedal.
    When the rain finally came I realised my setup was totally off no longer could I push hard on my camber and the tyres lost alot of heat too, well thats a lesson learned for setup and wet weather racing for next time.

Carl look like he had an 991 RSR+++ just seamed to have so much more pickup. Bad luck Carl on the off you defo had the pace.
    Well done all podium sitters I want them points really bad now.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Cody Eby

Cody Eby Pro Driver

When I watched the replay I noticed that Carl was running soft tires, where Lance and I were on mediums. Had we been on softs too, my guess is we would have been right on pace with Carl.

12. Bart Slobodzian

Yeah I went medium too knowing the rain was coming towards the end I thought I'd have to make the early tyres last longer, I over fuelled my car by 10 laps what was I thinking...

13. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

I'm sorry that we had a few "No-shows" for this event. I really hate to remove them, but I feel that it is my obligation to the regular drivers to keep the signuplist accurate, so that the list only shows people who are actually showing up for the events.

No-Shows

The following drivers will be removed from the series:

Eric Cline
    Isaac Barclay
    Paul Anstey

All other drivers who were not there excused themselves or unregistred for the event.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
    • Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 3
  14. Lance Link

Lance Link Pro Driver

Bummer about Paul. I though he was gonna be a threat in that Vette after race one. He had pace but mistakes killed him. The drivers seem to be balancing out more. I guess everyone is ramping up their practice time.

Bart, you were running great. I felt like I had a bogey on my tail. I kept telling Cody, he's still there man, we got to go!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  15. Bret Metcalf

Bret Metcalf Pro Driver

A hard race this, was really tired after the finish. Started from P6, was keeping within striking distance of Pablo and a couple of other drivers just up the road until I span, got distracted by Paolo's spin and I went around in sympathy so it seems:). I started on the soft tyres, they lasted very well tbh, then the rain came and I headed straight into the pits, lucky timing that. That put me in good shape & track position however, I did not have a serious enough pace in the wet but still, I enjoyed it.

Congrats to the winners of their class.

Regards,
    Bret

• Like Like x 2
  16. Bart Slobodzian

Thanks for saying so Lance just got to get better with my consistency and podium finishes.
    I have check my game controller inputs and they do indeed spike, depending on how I release the gas they bounce round like crazy, to cure it I have to squeeze the pedal to the side to stop it bouncing which can be as much as 30%. I also noticed I sometimes only get 99.5% power intermittently on full gas, thanks to checking back my engine and accelerator logs in motec I would never of seen it.
    I bought a pro pedal set a few years ago always hoping to one day get round to building it, well I'm on it this week. Full Hydraulics, pressure sensors and hall effect sensors.
    Lets hope I can get them working by the next round.

• Like Like x 3
  17. Bart Slobodzian

[​IMG]
    Here are those dam sexy pedals
    my_sim_pedals.jpg
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    • Like Like x 4
  18. Denis Pimenov

Denis Pimenov Pro Driver

guys please repeat the race

19. Denis Pimenov

Denis Pimenov Pro Driver

What a disgrace ))
    I did not see what the Google translator translated to me))
    By the message above, I wanted to ask for a replay race. I wanted to mount some rain episodes in a race

I will publish what I managed to mount.
    It is a pity that it was not possible to record the moments of struggle in the rain during the time before I accidentally deleted the replay of the race.

This was my first race in the game.

Moments with me before the rain begins, if anyone is interested of course ;)

• Like Like x 3
  20. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

Good video!
    Allways happy to watch other drivers view of a race.
    Even better if see my incar for a moment ;P