Project Cars 2 Round 3 Sonoma Raceway GP

Discussion in 'Radical North America Masters Closed' started by Ken Jagger, May 5, 2022.

1. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

I will be away on a long delayed holiday during this month so will miss this race and possibly the next round at COTA. These races will be setup by other SRO Admins for which I am very grateful. Enjoy them in my absence :).

• Like Like x 5
  3. Björn Johansson

Björn Johansson Pro Driver Donator

Well deserved holiday , wish you all the best :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Paul Villiers

Paul Villiers Pro Driver

I second that. Have a nice holiday Ken.
    I'm off tomorrow for a fortnight in Spain.
    P

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. Viktor Takács

Viktor Takács Pro Driver

I too will be missing the race at COTA due to my holiday, but I'm gonna give it everything at Sonoma to make up for it!

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Julian Smith

Julian Smith Pro Driver

Have a good one Ken ,enjoy your holiday, sure you will have fantastic time:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

8. Roman Granatovich

Roman Granatovich Pro Driver

thank you all for the race. see you on the next track. good luck!

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. Scott Ring

Scott Ring Pro Driver

Looks like Julian and Viktor had some bad screen freezes. I had some small glitches but luckily it didnt interfere with my great battle with Brian and Gerhard, super fun and intense.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Julian Smith

Julian Smith Pro Driver

First off Congrats to the podium guys,and Roman for the win,very fast times Roman.:eek:
    It was a real shame not to have a better race but I had big issues with VR lock ups which I Have never had in PC2 but have had in AMS 2. so dam frustrating:mad:
    I don't know how the SRO servers work or are hosted from, but the very strange denominator seams to be races hosted by Rob, My PC doesn't like his hosted races;)
    Did some people get disconnects?
    Anyway my race was appalling 2 pitstops to repair a trashed car, and miles behind but kept going till the end. oh well till next time, great racing with you all.:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1
  11. Julian Smith

Julian Smith Pro Driver

I was going to ask @Scott Ring if he had freezes because he had them in AMS2.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Philipp Pichler

Philipp Pichler Pro Driver

I cannot complain pacewise, however I double checked before the race to fill in fuel for 31 laps (60 liter I think), but in the grid it was only 30 liters left. :mad:
    So before the get-go it was clear that I had to pit. A shame because I lost a lot of time, although it would have been a boring race. After the stop I pushed like hell to close the gap to @Rob Milliken and @Edward Jones. I reached them with a couple of minutes to go and especially Ed put on a very good defensive driving.

Regarding the server, I cannot say but I had some little freezes but they came more likely from the connection. I am not sure about that, but maybe my ping was not that good. But I think it was still ok, otherwise you have to tell me then I would skip the race.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Rob Milliken

Your PC just needs to get to know me! lol
    All joking aside PC2 and AMS2 both share the same net code, the dedicated server only allows us to keep the server up 24/7 and is dependent on a player to join to start the peer-to-peer connections & is reliant on that person to have a strong connection to start the chain of peer-to-peer connections.
    The Servers' bandwidth has nothing to do with how these 2 games work in MP.
    If we simply used our in-game host feature it would be the exact same connections.
    What having a dedicated server does for these 2 games is allow us to keep a server up 24/7 to join & practice on, if we were to do this without a ded we would have to keep our game up 24/7 on our PC's. :rolleyes: So there is no network advantage or disadvantage using the dedicated server regarding bandwidth ,its all up to the 1st player on having a solid connection. As most of you are all across the pond im sure packet loss is what's causing the issues when I host, even if the pings are good, it's the packet loss that causes the issues:(

• Informative Informative x 2
  14. Julian Smith

Julian Smith Pro Driver

Thanks for the explanation Rob, just trying to work it out, cheers, I will tell the PC what a great guy you are.:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Rob Milliken

Also remember in both these games the host really only has one job & that's to hit the "CONTINUE" button in-between sessions, as a client you will never see this button. Only the host will get it. it comes after P1 and again after Q, then the game runs its self out, there are no working admin commands or an admin password..
    There is an API that the 2 games have but it's kind of hit & miss and will only allow you to advance the session & works 60% of the time :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rob Milliken

I stated this to let everyone know, as I feel for these 2 games, we should see what the best option is for solid game play, meaning that one of you could actually do the hosting tasks as it does not involve a password (have to run it by the other SRO admins) but with 90% of you across the pond from me and a few others it would makes sense to have one of you with a strong connection be the first to join and control the "CONTINUE" button. When ken is host, you don't have these issues however, I have also seen on more than one occasion where Ken, as host gets booted, this is when the strongest connection takes over as host & the rest of the game runs fine.
    The other critical part is the timing of the sessions. With limited server commands & control it's imperative to start the practice session at the exact proper time to have Q start at the exact proper time as we have no "advance session" or any admin commands in these 2 games other than the somewhat flakey API that the SRO admins have access to in a pinch. ken has used this with success but for me it has only worked 50% of the time o_O:rolleyes::D

Last edited: May 17, 2022
  17. Rob Milliken

Replay is available on the Champ page
    Right had side under event details.;)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Gerhard Hofmann

Gerhard Hofmann Pro Driver Donator

Great racing mates, thank you for gentlemen-driving, also to the admin Rob for the fun.
    Alien - pace from Roman, grats for the win

I had a great and everlasting battle with Scott and Brian , it was fantastic boys , thanks a lot for that. Sorry for Julian and Viktor, without their technical issues they would have completed the Podium. Cu all @ Cota.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Julian Smith

Julian Smith Pro Driver

See what your saying Rob sounds like a lot to do, and thank you. I think I'm really the only one who had bad freezes and don't want to overcomplicate it for anyone, I know when sh** has hit the fan Gerhard has kindly stepped in to save the day.
    I will see how it pans out when Ken gets back and see if I have the same issue. Thank you for you explanations and yes I like AMS2 and PC2 , when I upgrade the PC end of the year I m really looking forward to playing ACC( super heavy game for VR) unfortunately I cant drive flat screen.:(

• Like Like x 1
  20. Viktor Takács

Viktor Takács Pro Driver

Qualifying went well, I managed to set a lap time close to my personal best., which got me into 3rd on the grid.
    Had a decent start to the race, though I fell back to 4th after the start. I got into a close battle with Gerhard for 3rd, and managed to pass him fairly quickly.
    Afterwards I pulled out a little gap to the guys behind, and was set to take 2nd place in peace after Julian's rare mistake.
    That's when my game just froze and I got disconnected. I'm a bit disappointed, it could've been a good result, but oh well...

I'm thinking of switching to another sim after this season, there are just too many problems with Project Cars 2 lately, it seems like more and more bugs and issues are surfacing. I've set my eyes on the rFactor2 GT1 championship, but I'll see where I want to go next.
    I also will be missing the next race at COTA, so good luck to everyone, see you at the race afterwards!

• Informative Informative x 2