rFactor 2 Round 4 Belgium GP 1966 / Sun Oct 27, 2019

Discussion in 'The DNF S3-Howston Dissenter 1974 Challenge Closed' started by John vd Geest, Jul 5, 2019.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

History

Designed in 1920 by Jules de Thier and Henri Langlois Van Ophem, the original course used public roads between the Belgian towns of Francorchamps, Malmedy, and Stavelot. The track was intended to have hosted its inaugural race in August 1921, but this event had to be cancelled as there was only one entrant. The first car race was held at the circuit in 1922, and 1924 saw the first running of the now famous 24 Hours of Francorchamps race. The circuit was first used for Grand Prix racing in 1925.

The original Spa-Francorchamps circuit was essentially a speed course, with drivers managing higher average speeds than on other race tracks.[citation needed] At the time, the Belgians took pride in having a very fast circuit, and to improve average speeds, in 1939 the former slow uphill U-turn at the bottom of the Eau Rouge creek valley, called the Ancienne Douane (until 1920, there was a German Empire customs office here), was cut short with a faster sweep straight up the hill, called the Raidillon. At Eau Rouge, southbound traffic was allowed to use the famous uphill corner, while the opposite downhill traffic had to use the old road and U-turn behind the grandstands, rejoining the race track at the bottom of Eau Rouge.

The old race track continued through the now-straightened Kemmel curves to the highest part of the track (104 metres above the lowest part), then went downhill into Les Combes, a fast, slightly banked downhill left-hand corner towards Burnenville, passing this village in a fast right hand sweep. Near Malmedy, the Masta straight began, which was only interrupted by the Masta Kink between farm houses before arriving at the town of Stavelot. Then, the track progressed through an uphill straight section with a few bends called La Carriere, going through two high-speed turns (the former being an unnamed right-hand turn, and the latter named Blanchimont) before braking very hard for the La Source hairpin, and that rejoined the downhill start finish section (as opposed to today where the start–finish section is before La Source).

Spa is located in the Belgian Ardennes countryside, and the old circuit was, and still is, used as everyday public road, and there were houses, trees, electric poles, fields and other obstacles located right next to the track. Before 1970, there were no safety modifications of any kind done to the circuit and the conditions of the circuit were, aside from a few straw bales, virtually identical to everyday civilian use. Former Formula One racing driver and team owner Jackie Oliver was quoted as saying "if you went off the road, you didn't know what you were going to hit".

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Caitlin Penny

Caitlin Penny Pro Driver Media Group

Hi guys! Now that the clocks have gone back (As of the 27th), I can rejoin this series! I no longer have a realistic chance to win the title, so from now on it's push, push, push for me. Nothing to lose, so let's see what I can achieve for the remainder of the season. I'm looking forward to racing with you guys again!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Ken Jagger

Ken Jagger Administrator Staff Member Donator

The race will still be at 20:15 UK Time as before. John needs to update the remaining race times due to the time change from Summer Savings Time at 02:00 on 27th Oct.

4. Caitlin Penny

Caitlin Penny Pro Driver Media Group

Ah. Bother. Ok. I'm not going to be able to race. Sorry.

5. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

Servers Up ~

• Like Like x 1
  6. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

going to go practice some after that rf2 nords dl is ready and have taken dog out and bought couple beers ;P

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

30 deaths, not a single timed lap but setup is done!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Gert-Jan van Osch

Gert-Jan van Osch Pro Driver

Yes, this track is a real death trap... not a lot room for errors without facing the consequences.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Rob Milliken

• Like Like x 1
  10. Flaviu Bozga

Flaviu Bozga Pro Driver Donator

Sorry guys, another one I can't make. Have fun!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. Johnny Gutierrez

Johnny Gutierrez Pro Driver

Electricity is out. It's been out for a few hours. Might not be able to make it but have fun. I hope to be there.

12. Rob Milliken

Power was out here yesterday ! but back on now .. Wind storms up here .. good news Johnny ,for us the race is 1 hour later this week from day light savings time in euro .. so maybe it will be back on by then ..

• Like Like x 1
  13. Johnny Gutierrez

Johnny Gutierrez Pro Driver

Crazy high winds as well over here. I need this to happen on weekdays, not weekends.

14. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver

Lost my mojo in multiple drive throughs and crashed it in final minute keeping it loyal to my dnf streak on this series.
    Nevertheless enjoyed the car for 44 minutes.

• Funny Funny x 2
  15. John vd Geest

I missed my steering in point at the fast chicane and had a heavy crash. All went down hill from there basically.
    We were only 5 guys for most of the time and spread out, so there isn't much action to show for a video.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Gert-Jan van Osch

I saw that in the replay afterwards, you crashed into a barbwire fence... Pretty strong fence though;). I expected that already that everybody would be too far apart for a video.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. Gert-Jan van Osch

Event recap..

During qualifying I did not watch the timer and got a penalty... Therefore I did only one qualifying lap where I made a couple of mistakes, but it was still good enough for pole position. 2nd lap I took the S&G penalty. I had a good start in the race and pulled a quick 3s gap to Paul. From there on I took no risk anymore... I did an early pitstop in lap 5 but when I drove out of the pit I got a S&G. I do not know where the end of the pit lane is set on the track, but I think it is not after the yellow pit lane line is. From there on I had 5 laps to take the S&G penalty with Toni 15s behind. In lap 10 i took the penalty and drove very slowly 80kph until I was sure I was on the track. I think Toni suffered the same situation since I was him driving through pit lane twice after he pitted. From there I did not take any risks and brought the car home.

• Like Like x 3
  18. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

Qualification
    Almost a PB. Really hung the car out after I put in a banker lap and the track bit me up the arse as I went into the fields to munch the cud with the cows. I was 1.5 seconds up :(
    Well done Gert-Jan :)

Race
    Started well but fell back to 3 seconds behind Gert-Jan after the first lap. Stayed with him for a couple more laps but started to drop back. After the chicane and the straight going into the fast right hander a house stepped into the track and I passed through the kitchen whilst a startled family were having tea :). Damn inconsiderate of the house jolly bad show :mad:. Now with a car that wouldn't go in a straight line I had to pit for repairs. 104 seconds in the pits I came out in 6th. Thought my race was run but began to catch Johnny at a rate of knots. Caught him within a couple of laps and overtook him as he peeled off into the pits. I had got enough fuel onboard to finish the race so maybe I could catch John as well. Got into 3rd when John had his issues and then was gifted 2nd when Toni fell out with half a lap to go. Eventful race at a track that I've always had good speed at but have always binned it at some point.

Well done to Gert-Jan :)
    Well done to all who took on this challenging track and to all who finished the race :) and commiserations to those that didn't :(

I love this track but the hay bails and wooden posts make it a real lottery on whether you finish it.
    Also how many people have ever seen a hot air balloon at a race meeting? I see them all the time at sim tracks. Why? It's a pet peeve of mine :confused:

19. John vd Geest

LOLOLOLOL !!! :p:p:p

• Like Like x 1
  20. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

You can do a Best of Crash video :)