Assetto Corsa Round 4 Bridgehampton - Mon Apr 12, 2021

Discussion in 'Lola T70 MarkII Challenge Closed' started by John vd Geest, Jan 30, 2021.

1. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson Pro Driver

Great combo again of car and track, the Lola really suited this great old circuit. :cool:
    If only i could have a race where i'm not taken out on the first lap :rolleyes: For second race in a row i qualify in the top 10 only to be taken out by guys trying to win the race on cold tyres :mad: I know its a race but some were putting their cars in risky places on lap1 where my choice was back out the throttle completely or have an accident. just all calm down a bit, you have an hour! I started 8th then was plumb last by end of lap 2 with a -26seconds deficit :( So yet again i spend the whole race running solo trying to catch the top 10 again, which i did, but meant i was robbed of any good racing with the guys i qualified around.
    Finished 9th, nearly caught JVD but not quite :)
    Enjoyed watching the replay this morning to see what was happening up front :)

2. Laurent Londes

Laurent Londes Pro Driver

That's sad really and you see it all over sim racing. It's always the slower guys that try something crazy at the start. Or often try to outbrake the cars in front and end up driving into them or others..

3. Toni Talvitie

Toni Talvitie Pro Driver Donator

My 1st race of the series and really enjoyed the car / track combo.
    Missing little pace there but fun nevertheless.
    Missing something, cant get the car to turn in like i want it to go so basically feels like driving a bit too much understeering car.
    2nd stint i forgot to tune the correct pressures to my tires and drove with a big balloons in front end. Little more understeer but it never changed the outcome of it.
    Gz podium.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Laurent Londes

I was a bit surprised to get the pole. I expected Lorenzo, Philip or Maddie to take it. Well, I didn't have any low low fuel runs until qualifying, so I didn't know what lap time it would turn out to be. Still, it was beaten by 2 tenths during the race..

Not really happy with the race result, well at least it should have been P2. I ran a bit wide and put two wheels in the sand on lap 3 trying to create a bit of a gap to Maddie who was close behind.. That cost me the lead. I was able to stay within 2-3 seconds of Maddie for quite some time, but made some small mistakes which cost me an extra 2-3 seconds before the stop. Before going in I thought about the discussion there was last time about going fast into the pits or not and I remembered Maddie saying she would go in at full speed because the game allows it, so I did that too :) And well, I overshot my pit box by a long shot (kind of like I saw Jos do during the stream) and had to reverse into it. I had a look at the times and I lost 5 seconds to Maddie and 9 seconds to Philip during the stop.. That allowed Philip to pass me just as I came out of the pits. He said afterwards that his pit box was at the end of the pit lane and he was able to go in full speed without losing time. So yeah, my own fault there and if I wouldn't have lost the time there I would maybe have been able to stay in front. But Philip is crazy fast as well but makes some mistakes also, .. it would have been tight I think. Also, my own fuel app suddenly showed I was short on fuel for 0.2 lap distance.. I was a bit surprised and fuel saved a lot during 2 laps (+4 seconds per lap), the gap to P4 was big enough luckily. In the end it turned out I had enough fuel for an extra lap. I wonder Maddie, where the time ran out during your lap, was it close to the finish? I wonder what happened there in the app..

Well done to Maddie and Philip who seems to have the pace to win (almost) starting from the back or when making a drive-through :)

Great combo indeed!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Lorenzo Galluzzi

Lorenzo Galluzzi Pro Driver

I competed for most of the race alone, I also made too many careless mistakes. The main problem for me is the difference in pace between qualifying and the race, it is an aspect that I still have to understand.
    Grats to Maddie for the win and to the Phil and Laurent for the podium. As usual thanks to Caitlin for the broadcast.

Regards

• Like Like x 3
  6. Laurent Londes

The pace is pretty much the same or faster, what is there to understand :p

7. Maddie Shepherd

Maddie Shepherd Pro Driver

Honestly not sure. We calculated that it was going to be 40 laps exactly (due to approximately 1:30 lap times). I had about 30 seconds left on the clock when I started the final lap.

8. Maddie Shepherd

The pace difference is about half a second between qualifying and the start of the race but the car doesn't feel fundamentally different on higher fuel loads. Might be an issue with your ride heights causing the car to bottom out on high fuel?

9. Laurent Londes

Thanks, I need to look into it. The app takes the position of the leader on the lap and calculates how many laps it will be during the whole race. So it thought there was going to be an extra lap, but with about 30 seconds left when starting the final lap it is not that close. I need to look into it.

10. Maddie Shepherd

Was pretty unhappy with my pace in qualifying. I messed up most of my laps and had traffic on the others but 3rd on the grid wasn't too bad.

I had a good start and was able to pass Phil before turn one and started to apply a lot of pressure to Laurent in an attempt to force him into a mistake. He eventually went wide at the hairpin and I slowly extended the gap after that. The race was going smoothly until I went off at the same spot as Laurent, costing me around 4 seconds. I pitted shortly after that and had to go cautiously into the pits because my box was really early. The rest of the race was fairly dull and I just maintained the gap to Phil.

Congrats to Phil and Laurent and all the finishers. Not sure if I enjoyed this combo or not. The track was really annoying to lap because of the blind corners and sand which really punished anyone going wide. Looking forward to Riverside though :D

• Like Like x 2
  11. Laurent Londes

Riverside is even more sand ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Maddie Shepherd

Bit wider and not as many bumps so should be fine haha.

13. Lorenzo Galluzzi

Lorenzo Galluzzi Pro Driver

Yes, probably the issue is about the ride heights, honestly i don't know how to modify them properly for a race setup, is there any criterion about how much to raise up the car?

14. Maddie Shepherd

Really not sure on the specific ride heights that really suit this car but I raised them a bit for this circuit because of the bumps. Just try different settings and see what works out best.

• Informative Informative x 1