Round 4 Donington 2019-11-02

Discussion in 'RSS GT1 Season 2 Closed' started by John vd Geest, Jul 29, 2019.

1. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Donington Park

is a motorsport circuit located near Castle Donington in Leicestershire, England. The circuit business is now owned by Jonathan Palmer's MotorSport Vision organisation, and the surrounding Donington Park Estate, still owned by the Wheatcroft family, is currently under lease by MotorSport Vision until 2038.

Originally part of the Donington Hall estate, it was created as a racing circuit during the period between the First and Second World Wars when the German Silver Arrows were battling for the European Championship. Used as a military vehicle storage depot during the Second World War, it fell into disrepair until bought by local construction entrepreneur Tom Wheatcroft. Revived under his ownership in the 1970s, it hosted a single Formula One race, but became the favoured home of the British round of the MotoGP motorcycling championship.

Leased by Donington Ventures Leisure Ltd in 2007 the hope that Formula One racing could return to the track, the incomplete venture failed to raise sufficient financial backing during the aftermath of the 2008 global financial crisis. DVLL consequently lost the rights to the British rounds of both Formula 1 and MotoGP, and in its bankruptcy returned the track to the Wheatcroft family in December 2009.

Under Wheatcroft's ownership, the venue underwent significant work, with the track restored to use in 2010, before major upgrades in the following five years. At the end of 2010, it was announced that Donington would become home to an annual historic motorsport event, the Donington Historic Festival, with new events constantly being added. Since 2010, significant investment across the venue has seen major improvements made to its infrastructure, while the circuit has become a regular fixture for top class motorcycling in the form of the Superbike World Championship.

In January 2017, the circuit business and a long term lease on the estate was purchased by MotorSport Vision, with the purchase cleared by authorities in August of the same year. Significant investment has seen facilities at the venue brought up to modern standards, with a new restaurant, toilet blocks, large new grandstand and new circuit offices, as well as other detail changes. As well as improving the infrastructure, MSV has made additions to the race calendar, with additional major events planned for 2019 including extra rounds of the British Superbike Championship[6] and British GT.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  2. Steve Isaacs

Steve Isaacs Pro Driver

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Yusuf Macit

Yusuf Macit Pro Driver

Such a cool track, with long long straights... Perfect for an 8.0 Liter v10... :rolleyes:

• Like Like x 1
  4. John vd Geest

Broadcasting events 4 / 5 / 6

I'm happy to announce that we have found a new streamer / broadcaster for round 4 / 5 / 6 in Pasha Paterson.
    Pasha is a member of Sim Racing Online since July 2018, so many people should know him already.

Pasha has proven to be a skilled broadcaster / commentator and I'm very happy he accepted my proposal to step in for these events.
    If you like to know more about Pasha's broadcasting work, you can watch the video below.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Yusuf Macit

Yusuf Macit Pro Driver

Wooohooo!! Congratulations! @Pasha Paterson and good luck! Now, to find a side commentator! :D:D

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pasha Paterson

Pasha Paterson Pro Driver Broadcaster

Thanks, everyone. I'm super excited to be working with SRO on this. The series has produced great racing and I look forward to calling the action.

• Like Like x 2
    • Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  7. Yusuf Macit

Yusuf Macit Pro Driver

We are going to need to install the van AND the livery in order to be able to join the server, yeah?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pasha Paterson

I don't know if the admins really want to put people through the trouble just for a bit of silly realism...

... but I sure hope so ;)

9. John vd Geest

I agree, it looks really cool, but if someone doesn't install the car/skin, he will get a mismatch on the server and wonder why it doesn't work anymore. I think it's better to avoid confusion.

10. Pasha Paterson

Well it's still a week and a half away; plenty of time to get the word out ;)
    Also, if you set up the server using Content Manager, then you can provide links for people to download everything directly through CM. I used it to publish custom skins for an SRS championship and it works pretty well.

11. John vd Geest

That link you gave us only holds the skin. On what car should it go and where to find it?

12. Pasha Paterson

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. John vd Geest

14. Henri Miettinen

Henri Miettinen Pro Driver

We did race with those cars on nordscleiffe :D It was fun

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Henri Miettinen

As the Nordscleife challenge series begins, I probably won't be running this series anymore. Have fun! :)

16. John vd Geest

It is programmed so the RSS GT1 series will start 1 hour after the Nords events finish. So there is plenty of time to rest and prepare. :)
    You will be missed as one of the top-runners and I got the series back on track with the broadcasts, so all is well again :D
    I am also doing both series.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Henri Miettinen

yeah I know. Often I get bored even during one race if there isn't much battles, and I lose focus, so I think I can concentrate on maybe the first few laps of the second race. But then on Saturday I see if I can participate in both races. However, I probably won't practice at all for this.

18. John vd Geest

As long as you know where it goes left and right ... :p

• Like Like x 1
  19. John vd Geest

We will not be using the SRO broadcast Van for this series.

It is a cool idea and I like it, but it should have been implemented at the start of the series as part of the series promotion.
    The point is that not all people read the forums or everything on this forum. Some guys will not even know we are having this discussion.
    Therefore it is highly likely that some drivers will get a checksum error on the server, because they don't have th SRO broadcast Van installed. Furthermore, there is a risk it might disrupt the automated result process.

20. Pasha Paterson

fair enough :D
    I see a couple of Vipers were reserved for broadcasters in previous races, so I'll be sure to jump into one of those on race day.
    Still looking forward to it!

• Friendly Friendly x 1