Round 4 Nordschleife - Thu Nov 12, 2020

Discussion in 'Assetto Corsa league: DRM mod Closed' started by John vd Geest, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Maddie Shepherd

Maddie Shepherd Pro Driver

Pronouns are she/they btw :)

Enjoyed the battle with you! One of the few moments in the race that I actually enjoyed.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

I'll have to find that latest build - I tried an early version of it but that still looked like a GPL rip minus all the work needed to make it look nice (It was literally the first release so exactly what I expected) - that vid looks good enough to go for a drive on now :cool:

Back to last night and I can't grumble too much - In qualifying I was extra cautious on my first flying lap and as a result of that combined with catching a Beta (luckily we 'met' just as we reached a fast section, so held each other up the absolute minimum. Thanks who-ever that was for watching your mirrors, hope my boat didn't slow you in the tight bits afterwards :)).
    I managed to beat my previous best but also know that there was more in the car so went again, then saw my fuel and realised that I had no hope of even finishing the lap - let alone going faster so pulled off at Breidscheid and quit back to the pits.

Race start went as well as can be expected with well over 100Ltrs on board and a massive 1st gear - both Filip and Matteo got big jumps on me off the line and Matteo had the common sense to pull across to cover the inside line from me.
    The M1 is a lumbering pig through T1 at the best of times (the worst car I've EVER driven here! :D ) so I had no real hope of doing anything about them on cold tires anyway.
    Once out on the GP circuit we were going fast enough that I could sort of keep up, I was close enough at Flugplatz to then just walk passed Filip on the run to Aremburg (The joys of an extra 300Bhp...) and managed to make decent gains on Matteo through Fuchsrohe and then again up the hill towards Karrusell.
    Matteo made a slight error on the hill and had a little slide, I think this got me a bit excited and I just clipped a kurb while braking up to the Steilstrecke and the car just lost it.
    I did my best to not block the track while rejoining after Filip went through so hope I didn't cause any brown trouser moments.

After that I had to let the rear tires cool out before driving like crazy to catch - and eventually pass - Filip, who was making excellent use of the Toyota's handling and keeping me far enough away to stop me from catching him on a straight. In the end I just put the M1 on qualifying boost through a technical section so he couldn't outrun me so badly and got him on the run to Aremburg again.

After that I used full boost a few times both on the run up the hill and down the main straight in an effort to catch Matteo - but he was also driving like crazy so as he says, we simply matched lap times.
    I was able to start catching over the final 2 laps by around 3 seconds a lap, in part I think this is just the fact I like cars that slide around a lot more than Matteo does ;), and also a combination of my setup and the crash damage. I was running extra rear wing to stabilise the car in the closing part of the race when the tires went off, the crash near Karrusell knackered my front Aero and lost me a lot of front end grip - as a result all 4 tires were wearing at about the same rate so although lap speed dropped, the cars' handling remained pretty much the same all race.

Anyway, great work by Matteo and Filip - I'll watch the broadcast later today to find out who else finished where!

• Like Like x 5
  3. Henri Miettinen

Henri Miettinen Pro Driver

Ah, sorry for that! I've seen Mac names only in men, so I assumed wrong. Why there can’t be gender neutral pronouns in English, like we have in Finnish :D But yeah, that battle was fun. You probably would have won it if you hadn’t hit the grass. But there wasn't much room for errors.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Filip Stoyanovich

Filip Stoyanovich Pro Driver

Oh, well that sucks... That reminds me of my early online days of NR2003, when I wanted to run some cool stuff that was on US time which makes it really late night/early morning for me lol Combined with everything and work... would be obnoxious.

5. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

Same - I always wanted to do some NR2002/2003 series, they just didn't really happen in the UK/Europe :(

6. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson Pro Driver

B'ah, i feel quite disallusioned after this round, to be 20 Secs off the pace in the same car felt un-acceptable to me and proved i just cant drive the 935 how it needs to be driven. :( I stuck with the K2 from the start as considered myself not skilled enough to use the K3's to their limits but all its done is saddle me with the same handling traits but way less power! I should have gone with gut instinct and driven a Div2 car for this season but had always wanted to drive a 935 in sim racing. :oops:
    Anyway, what happened to the grid at race start? I qualified 8th with an 8:43 and was quite content with that but when the grid formed i was down in 19th place :mad: Half the grid hadnt even set a time so i was doubly miffed as i had set two flying lap times. That was a bitter blow, as meant like the last round after the T1 chaos, i had a whole field of Div2 cars to try and get past :rolleyes: As it turned out, this was the most exciting part of the race for me and i was very impressed with the respect and space everybody was giving each other. For once everyone seemed mindful of different cars strengths so power cars didnt argue with nimble cars in corners and the other way around for the straights, good driving by all :cool: Enjoyed some good dices with several different car types over the early laps and as ever, they looked fantastic in action.
    After that i had a fairly dull long run but suffered two very annoying spins at the steep downhill tight left braking corner over the bridge (think its Adenau?) and each time the lumbering car got stuck in a tight fix with a very long laggy 1st gear, losing me 2x7 secs :( Late in the race i finally started to get some rhythm and re-closed on those pesky Div2 cars that had got away earlier in the race. Kirilov had an off so that was one then i was gaining on Maxime at a rate of knots.
    With only 15minutes remaining, just as i was on my fastest race lap by a big margin i had the mother of all airplane crashes at Pflanzgarten, whilst at very high speed :eek: i clipped a kerb on the right and the car went into a massive armco bashing accident :( I lost 35 seconds that lap and it ruined my race as now had no chance of making up any positions :confused: Fortunately i only lost one place back to Kirilov. Trundled home to a lousy 15th i think, dispirited.:rolleyes: ached all over at race end, felt a real endurance event dragging that lardy understeering 935 around so many corners.
    Massive congrats to the race winner and podium guys, as well as all who managed to finish this car killer of a track. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Laurent Londes

Laurent Londes Pro Driver

I should have practiced more. I did a 8'19 on endurance tires on low-fuel and thought that was good enough.. Other part was that I expected chaos and didn't want to put in too much time for a race that would be decided by incidents (which it wasn't).

Qualifying. I tried mediums right before qualifying got underway and through the fast sections my rears would heat up a lot and I lost the back-end completely. So I decided to go for the endurance tires during the qualifying. I had fuel for 4 laps, which was a lap too much. Not a great time but wanted to post a decent time rather than crash and start from the back. Congrats to Matteo and Tim going full attack here. They did it and it worked for them, but they could have binned it as well. Lot's of respect for taking those chances!

I was able to make up a few spots on the start going into P4. Again, I hadn't practiced any laps on full fuel and the first two laps the car felt really nervous over bumps. Top 3 were pushing hard but I didn't feel the confidence in the car to do so. Going into the 3rd lap it started to feel better, or I was getting used to it. Anstey was close behind in the beginning of the race. I saw him do 8'19s on endurance tires earlier during practice sessions yesterday so he wasn't going anywhere probably. But he made a mistake at some point. Michal was then behind me with a gap. I was faster so I had nothing to worry about. Once Tim got ahead of Filip I was kind of doing the same lap times as Filip, but as he wrote he was more controlling than pushing. P4 in the end, very lonely race, no battles on track at all. Still great to finish the race without incidents.

I seemed to lack about 4 seconds per lap in pace. That is 0.5s per minute. I should have worked a bit more on setup, I could also have pushed harder. In the end I think P4 was the best result for me anyway. Well done to Matteo!

Division 2 was a lot more exciting than Division 1 here. A bit gutted for Mac, she really deserved the win. I didn't quite catch how she lost so much time. Jos, Toni and Henri were pushing hard as well, looked like a lot of fun!

• Like Like x 3
  8. Matteo Santini

Matteo Santini Pro Driver

Last edited: Nov 13, 2020
  9. Matteo Santini

@Mark Johnson You can easily check by Caitlin live streaming by min 26:12, that you were in 15 th position at the end of the qualif session. Not surely in 8th position, nor in 19th :rolleyes:

10. Maddie Shepherd

It's alright! There was a kerb that my car bottomed out on which I hadn't noticed before.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson Pro Driver

Really? my stracker must have been borked then as i was showing at 8th at the end of qually when i looked at it. I did a double take to make sure it had recorded a laptime, ie not scrubbed it from a cut. it also listed me 19th on the actual starting grid, so something definitely went amiss. Certainly felt a long way back on the grid too to back it up. (Not seen replay yet due to work):oops:

12. Maddie Shepherd

Could someone please upload the full race replay? My replay cut off the first 10-15 mins. Thanks :)

13. Matteo Santini

Even watching at the laptimes recorded on live timing for qualif session (in a really weird way :eek:), your laptime was the 15th best on the server.
    Stefan Lagodin, Kiril Kirilov, Mac Shepherd and Toni Talvitie did a better laptime, but they are reported as DNF inside the live timing. So, the correct start position for you should be 15th anyway. I've no replay saved, so I can't check your actual position on the grid at the start.
    http://managerdc6.rackservice.org:50868/sessiondetails?sessionid=2707#
    1 Matteo Santini drm_aero 08:11.867
    2 Tim Muttram drm_1n 08:12.505 +00.638 2 (1) 0 0 (0)
    3 Filip Stoyanovich drm_delikata_2 08:18.118 +06.251 3 (1) 0 1 (0)
    4 Phil Brown drm_carma_2 08:19.047 +07.180 2 (0) 0 0 (0)
    5 Louis Defor drm_aero 08:20.009 +08.142 3 (2) 0 0 (0)
    6 Paul Anstey drm_carma_2 08:20.538 +08.671 2 (0) 0 0 (0)
    7 Laurent Londes drm_3h 08:21.664 +09.797 3 (0) 0 0 (0)
    8 Michal Mazurek drm_3h_2 08:24.830 +12.963 3 (0) 0 7 (0)
    9 Jos Ogos drm_scream 08:37.898 +26.031 3 (0) 0 2 (2)
    10 Maxime Tendil drm_scream 08:40.497 +28.630 2 (0) 0 0 (0)
    11 Mark Johnson drm_1h_2 08:43.902 +32.035 3 (2) 0 0 (0)
    12 Jens Roos drm_scream 08:59.890 +48.023 2 (0) 0 0 (0)
    DNF Stefan Lagodin drm_aero 08:33.197 +21.330 2 (0) 0 0 (0)
    DNF Mariusz Lebioda drm_3h_2 24:06.804 +954.937 1 (0) 0 3 (0)
    DNF Kiril Kirilov drm_monastir 08:36.176 +24.309 2 (0) 0 1 (0)
    DNF Mac Shepherd drm_121_3 08:40.654 +28.787 2 (0) 0 3 (0)
    DNF Kimi Martikainen drm_delikata_2 08:47.130 +35.263 2 (0) 0 4 (2)
    DNF Toni Talvitie drm_monastir 08:32.333 +20.466 2 (0) 0 0 (0)
    DNF bob kendall drm_aero 09:46.415 +94.548 1 (0) 0 1 (0)

14. Mark Johnson

Mark Johnson Pro Driver

yeah just watched half of Caitlans replay and the times showed correctly. It was my 'in-cockpit' stracker that was showing incorrectly. Wonder if the guy trying to join midway through qually caused it (James who was getting mismatch warnings). No problem, just proves i was totally cr*p here on outright pace sadly :(

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tim Muttram

Tim Muttram Pro Driver

I think the grid was just wierd - there appeared to be 2 Stefans', one of them starting from a side track halfway around the GP circuit - the other on the grid :D (It was like that all qualifying too.
    In the broadcast you can see Matteo is classed as 2nd and everyone is bumped down also.
    I can't help thinking that this OSRW layout is a bit broken!

16. Laurent Londes

Laurent Londes Pro Driver

Not sure if it caused by the OSRW layout.

As an alternative we did a multiplayer test last week with 56 cars on the 108 pit Nordschleife endurance layout and that went without issues.

If interested for future events, you can check this one SRO :

https://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/nordschleife-108-grid-spots.15493/

17. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

Have no idea how I finished 5th. Had 3 spins. The first should have ended my race as I hit every side of the car. Forgot about the overspeed following Laurent and locked a brake on the fast left handed and the end of the first fast stretch of the Green Hell. The car seemed to jump and when I landed I was offline. Tried to brake harder but locked up and then ran off the circuit smashed into the barrier on the right speared me across the track smashed into the barrier on the left and ended up in the kitty litter. No way I should have been driving straight after that but the steering and the car itself felt fine. Only lost one place as well so I was lucky. The 2nd spin happened after I'd caught up with Michal. I was right up behind him and we entered the carousel and I just went a bit too low my front wheel hit the bottom of the slope and it turned me around. Very clumsily as I span round I slammed the car into the barrier nose first. The car was still driving as if I had no damage at all. Was the damage multiplier set for the race? The last spin happened just as I'd caught Michal for the 2nd time at the end of the long straight at the end of the lap. Came in too fast on knackered tires and span out. Ended up gently hitting the barrier so yet again I got away with it. Michal now too far in front I began the final laps nice and slowly to get to the end. Then Michal had his bit of bad luck at the end of the lap and I slipped by as he was recovering. My performance here was very poor and I'm amazed at finishing 5th. Really didn't deserve it. My lap times show the whole story not once did I even get remotely close to my practice times. But although I was disappointed with it I still had a huge amount of fun. I love this circuit its the best in the world and contrary to some peoples predictions of processional racing there seemed to be a good amount of battles going on especially with the Div 2 guys.

Well done to the winners and pods :)

• Like Like x 4
  18. Kimi Martikainen

Kimi Martikainen Pro Driver

Watching broadcast was more fun than driving tbh. Thanks for commentary Caitlin, but I gotta disagreed with you about driver of the day, Mr Miettinen put really good show up after spin... :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Are you sure you want to unregister before I take you off the list?

20. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Please let me know if / when you are back racing so I can put your car back in on the server settings.