Round 4 Rouen 1955

Discussion in 'The DNF Series – Mclaren M23 Closed' started by John vd Geest, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Roberto Balli

Roberto Balli Pro Driver Donator

Ok.
    Thank you :)

2. Rob Milliken

Rob Milliken Administrator Staff Member Donator

3. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

4. Matheus Marçal

Matheus Marçal Pro Driver Broadcaster Media Group

Here's the replay lads! Congratulations everyone

• Like Like x 4
  5. Andrew Williams

Andrew Williams Pro Driver

Race destroyed by the track :mad:

Sorry to those caught up in my incident. :(

• Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 5
  6. Bill Grewcock

Bill Grewcock Pro Driver

When the start lights went out the car ahead did not move :eek:, I shunted him then I was hit from behind. This resulted in extensive damage but I was able to limp around the circuit to the pits for repairs. I rejoined in last place but then I was able to steadily pick up places. At around 15 minutes from the end of the race I had reached P12 but then rFactor2 went to a black screen and I could not get back to the sim. I had to use task manager to close rF2 and so I ended up with a DNF (appropriate for the DNF series I suppose). I hope that I did not cause problems for anyone. At least I was then able to catch the remainder of the race from Matheus and Mac's broadcast (good work as usual, guys).

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Sportsmanship Sportsmanship x 2
  7. Philipp Pichler

Philipp Pichler Pro Driver

I did not many practice laps but enough to spot that Melbourne Ricciardoish front wing killer, probably more luck than intellect or skill. Probably thats the motto of my race.

Although there is something, I adapted to Michał Mazurek (congrats by the way) starting from the back strategy after a demanding day, only a few practice laps and a 100% first lap incident rate for me from the last two races. In addition I thought I would then be far enough away from John.

But guess what, I happend again, can you believe it. I avoided Bills incident but then I tangeled with Martyn. I think there was nobody to blame, I did exactly the same as Rob in front of me, but Martyn thought he was clear on the left side. So then we stucked there, looked funny...

That cost us a lot of additional time, my car was again damaged from the first turn on ... but it could only got better. But I though it need to hit the wall for a second time. Suits to the motto, but after that I catched up one by one. After beeing again behind @Johnny Gutierrez I met again with John. Yeah I really feared another clash, so I let him through and hoped he would disappear without any further incident. But again, guess what... exactly. John what are we doing?
    I´m sorry but I really didn´t expected you to slow down at the straight, it was too late to brake and to avoid you. Did you had a problem?

But not enough in the late stages of the race, I saw a front wing at the last sector. Therefore I was alert, it was Andrew´s and after the last turn he and Eric were on the left side of the track. I lifted a bit and though, if Andrew wants to head into the pitlane he is on the wrong side of the tra... bam hit him. Well I did not changed anything, my car was already damaged and I could keept P7 but again that was more fortune than skill.

The vid to the text, I hope the next time I´m finally able to drive a clean first lap...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
    • Like Like x 7
  8. John vd Geest

John vd Geest Administrator Staff Member Donator

Don't blame yourself. It wasn't something you did. I was going into the pit to change a flatspot and I had no way to let you know. I went to the right side and had to slow down or I would have missed the entry. I'm sure you didn't expect me to slow LOL.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Eric Moinet

Eric Moinet Pro Driver

Horrendous race. i can't understand why car handling is so different from offline to server. I had to refine my setup as a last minute change but that was far from perfect.

Apologies to Kayo (I think) for the punt at the hairpin. I made a Drive Through as penalty then got a Stop & Go for speeding in pit lane, as if my race wasn't doomed enough. Then I got collected by Andrew Williams banging from walls to walls on each side of the track and went again in the pit lane for repairs.

14th in the end, could have been worse, should have been better.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Marc Brink

Marc Brink Pro Driver

Same here. I guess it's something rF2 has inherited from rF1; S397 seriously should look into this.

It would also be nice if some backmarkers respect the blue flags more and make room if the situation calls for it.
    It costs considerable time when they keep continuing the way they do. Please leave the race line and go slightly off throttle to let the faster car pass.
    Thanks.

EDIT:
    @Eric MOINET,
    I've posted the car handling issue on the S397 forum. Hopefully they come up with a solution.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Andrew Williams

However, other people / posts say for the car getting lapped, to stay on the racing line which makes them more predictable.

12. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

Qualy : Had a great session and did a PB to take 3rd on the grid :)
    Race : Got off the line just about able to fend of John who briefly got alongside. In the opening laps it was just about getting into a rythmn. I did have a run on Michal and got alongside but thought better of it and erred on the side of caution. I have had enough of loosing front wings in the first laps of the race. Started to fall back a bit as I couldn't match Michal's pace and fell back into John. Going through the last corner he got alongside and then chopped across my bow. Think he thought he was clear. We touched wheels forcing me on the the grass. Racing incident and I just stayed out of the wall. By the time I'd got my heart out of my mouth and back where it was supposed to be John was gone. Again I couldn't match his pace. I had a good lead over 5th so now just a case of putting my head down and concentrating on not making a mistake. Up ahead I saw John making a move on Givano and then a huge cloud of smoke. I past John still recovering on the grass at the end of the straight. Back into 3rd. I think at some point I did close in on Givano but had no chance to make a move and very quickly fell back again. That was about it. Getting past some of the back markers was entertaining. What a great result for me. On the pace (almost) of some seriously quick drivers. A few years back I'd never imagined I could raise my game like this. Hopefully this speed will continue into the next round.

Well done Michal :)
    Well done Givano for 2nd :)
    Well done to all who finished :) and commiserations to those who didn't :(

On to Crystal Palace. A short fast course. Think overtaking will be difficult and traffic will be tight. Can't wait :)
    Think we came of age today. No 1st lap pile up and on the whole a good race up and down the field. Think the first 3 races were just our warm up races :).

• Like Like x 3
  13. Henri Miettinen

Henri Miettinen Pro Driver

Different weather, more rubber on the track? For this reason, I always training on a server and not offline.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Marc Brink

Marc Brink Pro Driver

It doesn't sound 'predictable' to me if someone stays on the race line and keep driving as if we're fighting for position.
    It's not the usual procedure regarding blue flags. Look at real racing to see what I mean.

15. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

Think it's to do with track conditions. There's a Real Road setting which I think you can change to rubber in the track as if there's been heavy track use. You may be starting on a green track when you're offline which will take a number of laps to start rubbering in. Just a thought. Always best to practice online if you can as other settings such as ABS, Traction control, etc can be different online.

16. Paul Anstey

Paul Anstey Pro Driver

The age old argument :rolleyes:
    I think the rule at SRO is backmarkers should stay on the racing line and it's up to leaders to pass when safe to so. This way you have the predictability that the back marker isn't going to suddenly lurch left or right trying to get out of the way. I think that's the best way. But this argument seems to rumble on and on :)

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. Marc Brink

Marc Brink Pro Driver

Only in multiclass, not in the same class; a standard racing rule.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Bill Grewcock

Bill Grewcock Pro Driver

I think the procedure is to stay on the racing line when there are multiple classes such as in endurance racing and it is the responsibility of the following car to find a safe way past. I would welcome clarification on the SRO blue flag policy for single class racing.
    Edit: just noticed that Marc posted while I was writing this !

• Like Like x 1
  19. Eric Moinet

Eric Moinet Pro Driver

I think you are both right. I'll try this for the next times, always disappointing to see your pace and handling hampered because setup doesn't behave as expected.

20. Andrew Williams

Ah ok, just knew I'd read it somewhere :cool:

Edit, from the SRO rules forum

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
    • Like Like x 1